• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wondering about Max cal size for hunting.

89t295k

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Idaho
Just wondering what is the largest unbreaked hunting rifle should be b4 it does hearing damage. I guess it might have to do with reflective energy from the shooting enviroment as well but, I hear about guys using a break on a 7mm and losing some off there hearing...u think a 300WM unbreaked would b ok?

Re: Wondering about Max cal size for hunting.

It isn't a great idea to shoot anything without hearing protection.... If you shoot a .22 with out hearing protection it can cause hearing damage. I hunt with a Remington .300 WM XCR (no brake) and it doesn't recoil bad at all. Throw a nice limb saver on it and you can shoot it without being punished too bad (the XCR comes with a limb saver installed). What kind of game are you going after would be a starter for what sized rifle you need. Either way, if you go with a .300 WM for hunting you don't and shouldn't need a brake on it. Just my personal opinion but unless absolutely necessary a brake on a hunting rifle is not ideal.

Chad

You can't use hearing protection when hunting, because hearing and sight are the two main senses you use to detect game.

When a shot is fired, you will get some temporary ringing and deafness that will take several minutes to 'go away'. But if you use a brake or a barrel that's too short, even one shot can give permanent hearing damage.

Larger bores like 460 weatherby are tolerable without hearing protection if you only fire a couple shots a day, don't use a brake, and keep the barrel long enough. However, any repetitive shooting at all, like benchrest practise, absolutely needs hearing protection for any caliber.

Yeah, I'm only talking about deer or elk hunting mainly, so ears are a must. My ears ring for a minute after I shoot the 270 (no break), just wondering if the bigger guns make a big difference.
I am not going to take my plugs out at the range and test it.

Anybody know of tests numbers for dB's vs caliber?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BallCoeff.606</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't use hearing protection when hunting, because hearing and sight are the two main senses you use to detect game.

</div></div>

...."Walkers Game Ear Power Muffs".....possibly?

Agree with you though, but hearing protection sure beats being deef...i spent about 3 months last year with a ringing in my ear from a braked 300 RUM
cry.gif
....It sucked lots!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BallCoeff.606</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't use hearing protection when hunting, because hearing and sight are the two main senses you use to detect game.
</div></div>

They have several products out there that allow you to hunt with muffs on that are electronic that enhance sound and cut off at higher dB, walkers game ear being one of them. I didn't indicate that I wear hearing protection while hunting, only that you have a chance of hearing loss should you choose not to use it. If you wear a stocking cap that covers your ears it cuts down on the noise a bit for you, but if it is hot chances are you won't be wearing one. I can say that the larger calibers definitely will report a high dB reading. Best bet is to be shooting out in the open (not in an enclosed hunting blind as it magnifies the sound and can lead to awful echo reports). While dogging hogs I had to pull my side arm (.44mag) in a river slough only about 4 ft wide and 12ft side walls and after the shot I had a nasty ringing and temporary hearing loss for almost a month. Needless to say, I started thinking about hearing protection a hell of a lot more after that experience. While it isn't ideal to wear hearing protection while hunting, sure beats the hell outta being deaf and not being able to hear on an every day basis. I'd go with a .300WM or 7mm RM if you are planning on hunting up to elk sized game. They will both work very well and have very similar ballistics (slightly more energy out to 500yds with the .300WM but they become very similar after that).

Chad

I'm just talking here but I would assume that wearing a nice pair of peltors would be fine. They even amplify sound if you want them too. I wore them in iraq and was very pleased with the performance.

I have some pretty serious hearing loss from way too much exposure to rifle report, particularly a .223. I never shoot without some type of protection EXCEPT when I hunt, the open space does cut down on the ear pain, but I agree, game ears or muffs would be best. Hunting with out the ability to hear would be very difficult. Also another reason I bought a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wards75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BallCoeff.606</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can't use hearing protection when hunting, because hearing and sight are the two main senses you use to detect game.

</div></div>

...."Walkers Game Ear Power Muffs".....possibly?

Agree with you though, but hearing protection sure beats being deef...i spent about 3 months last year with a ringing in my ear from a braked 300 RUM
cry.gif
....It sucked lots!!! </div></div>

I'll second the power muffs. At the range you can still everyone talking but the report of the rifle is made safe by deadening the decibles. In a hunting situation animal sounds are amplified and you can kill them without killing your hearing. Only problem I have with them is when I draw my bow and forgetting to move them off of my right ear.

If you want to hunt without hearing protection switch to a bow. I thought for years that a slight ringing after a shot was OK and by the age of 45 I lost 60% in one ear and 75% in the other.

Don't think for a minute you can get by without them. Get some game ears or peltors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 18Echo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm just talking here but I would assume that wearing a nice pair of peltors would be fine. They even amplify sound if you want them too. I wore them in iraq and was very pleased with the performance. </div></div>

I hunt mainly with handguns at home, 44mag, 454/45colt and Peltors work for me. I took one deer without protection, never again, it is not worth it.

When hunting with a rifle out west it was not difficult to take 2-3 seconds to put foam plugs in before touching off my 300wsm that is braked. Use some type of protection and revaluate your hunting style if you think you can't. Once you lose those hearing hairs in your inner ear they don’t grow back, a deer,elk,ect is not worth a life time of saying "what".

what? ya'll speak up...can't hear ya. lol
Amen on the protection. I ignored it and now pay for it.
I wear the amped protectors just so I can hear!

i do not wear hearing protection on my ears while hunting . i find that even the walkers or muffs are no good for hunting . you can hear noises but cant tell where their coming from . so instead i did 3 things.
1st i found some of the earplugs that are on a plastic band and you wear around your neck, i can slip them on in less than a second .
2nd i purchased a can
3rd i decided no hunting with a braked rifle
im 24 and have good hearing ,to me its worth the hassle and $ to keep it , once its gone you cant get it back

Caliber has some effect on the amount of noise, but is not really the cause. Rather it is the burning and expanding gases from the ingition/combustion process that ends up disturbing the air to cause the report. Basically, the more powder/gases that are burning out of the barrel, the more noise and flash it will produce. If a case is designed to achieve a complete powder burn in a given barrel length, shortening the barrel will increase the flash and noise as a result of powder burning and gases expanding out of the muzzle. This is why suppressors are needed, they are designed to trap the expanding gases and allow them to finish their burn and cool before escaping the muzzle..

As a rule of thumb the larger the case the more powder is burning and the shorter the barrel the more flash and report you will get. Overbore cases like some of the belted magnums etc will produce more noise over a smaller more efficient case.

eta: all guns are going to cause hearing damage. Hearing protection attempts to reduce the amount of damage done. A +130dB report from a braked rifle, with -30dB NRR earmuffs, is still +100dB of noise. The NRR ratings are misleading as well, they are rated for continuous sound and not impulse type noise as generated from gunfire. So even with earmuffs or plugs with a good rating, (like -33dB)you are still exposing your ears to approximately +100dB of noise in one quick blast as opposed to the constant rumbling of a jet takeoff in your vicinity. Someone put it best when they said 'hearing damage is cumulative and permanent"

pps I shoot an unbraked .300WM with a 26" barrel wearing earmuffs and it is still loud as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264win</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2nd i purchased a can
</div></div>

Uhhh...hate to sound like a idiot but what is a "can"?

can,suppressor,silencer,2 liter pop bottle on a 22lr.

I a .30-'06 won't do it for you in North America, you need an airstrike. Shorter barrels bark bigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I a .30-'06 won't do it for you in North America, you need an airstrike. ...</div></div>

Umm, no. The whole point of medium big-bores running spire points at 3000fps is to get enough kinetic energy out to where it's needed.

Hitting a moose or elk at 500 yards with a quartering shot from a 30-06 through chest muscle, breaking a shoulder or upper leg bone, and ricocheting off a rib will leave you with a painfully limping animal. One that might become difficult or impossible to recover when it finally dies.

Not everyone's shooting is burst fire of a .223 at human targets or at Texas piglets behind a corn hopper.

Furthermore, cans are illegal for hunting; per general prohibition #5:
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/index.html?gameregs.html

Constantly wearing ear protection while hunting kind of defies the whole purpose of the hunt... I've done that (last time Peltor SportTacs) while using a gun that required muffs, and won't do it again.

You will lose some of the directional hearing and amplification also distorts the things you hear (like over-amplifies the wind).

I understand using (and occasionally use, e.g. while hunting from a blind) ear plugs, if you put them on just before shooting. Muffs are quite clumsy for that.

It's mostly the muzzle pressure that's making the muzzle blast hearing un-safe. So match your powder/bullet combination to your barrel length.

If you want to get confused by optimizing things, you can always have an ear-safe load in chamber, and switch to ear plugs and hotter loads if you need to reach out. Actually I know few people who use dual loads with success, although for a different reason.

Good info,
Proper loads, longer barrel and no brake.

This really makes me want to get a can as well.