• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Wondering How this camo is done.

Curt1521

Sexy Beast
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2006
SF, South Dakota
I've been lurking here for months, but I've never really posted much before.
I saw this picture posted, and have no idea how it was done.
I don't remember who posted the picture.

Does anyone have any idea how this camo was done? I've searched all the pages of the Fieldcraft forum and didn't see anything.
I would be very interested in painting one of my rifles like this.
I really like the black outlines of the colors.
Any idea if it was a stencil, or rattle-can job?
Thanks for your help, and sorry if this is a noob question.
Curt

Desert_Camo.jpg

Re: Wondering How this camo is done.

I painted both of those rifles and they were done with DuraCoat and an airbrush. Pretty easy process:

Everything gets coated with the base coat color which is what you see on the barreled actions & stocks.

Pick your second color and apply it in the shapes that you like.

Pick your third color and apply them in shapes.

Pick a darker color and outline the two secondary color splotches.

Finish it all up with a coat of matte clear and you're done.

You might be surprised. I've got several complaints about DuraCoat but durability ain't one of em. The stuff is damned tuff and the previous paint was still in impressively good shape considering the life my rifle leads.

Maybe I will look into it for my next rifle. I will need something when the AR10 is done. The though of stripping the krylon off the 700 makes my head hurt.

Then again I am thinking about getting a Manners stock for it, so who knows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COVERT IND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heres some dura coat projects I have done on some of my guns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpeaIfb1D4s </div></div>

those are some BAD@ZZ paint jobs...very impressed. A lot of guys work just looks silly, but its obvious you have some done for aesthetics and some meant to disappear. cousin kept trying to talk me into the 3 color desert pattern on my AR because thats what my drag bag is in...but opted with a more customized pattern.

what are the base colors called for both those guns? i like em

edit: and is the darker outline black, or some kind of dark grey/brown

How difficult is the duracoat to work with? I've heard you have to know what you want and work quickly as the stuff is a unforgiving once it starts to cure - any info would be helpful -Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sam Hail</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How difficult is the duracoat to work with? I've heard you have to know what you want and work quickly as the stuff is a unforgiving once it starts to cure - any info would be helpful -Thanks </div></div>

the good thing is that if you mess something up, its very thin...easy to cover with a new color and not have the build up that spray paint has. Same with Cerakote, the only place i had issues with it being to heavy was under the gas block on my AR, but if you just leave the gas block on, no worries. Pins fit fine, quad rail screwed back on fine, stock slides fine. I dont think either are hard to work with and im def a rookie.

I just read another thread where they were saying duracoating the AICS stock was hard. I guess it isn't hard for everyone.