• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

wooden rifle stock

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
I was wondering what manufacturers makes wooden rifle stocks that have the shape like this?

Thank you,
Scott

Attachments

• photo80480.jpg
    photo80480.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 75
Nobody.. That's a Joel Russo. Hand made.

look into foundation stocks for a wood look (actually micarta)

My god those Joel Russo made are glorious stocks. Foundation look amazing too.

So many great options, thank you all for posting

Scott

Don't discount stocks made of wood laminate. It's basically a composite layup of thin engineered wood layers bonded and pressure impregnated with resin. Tough, durable, weatherproof, and very dense.

I don't see any pricing... is this one of those, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" kind of deals? Either way, there are some beautiful stocks on that page...

Custom wood stocks depend on the cost of the blank. Profiling and inletting are usually standard. My last Claro Walnut stock from Sitman (Masterclass) had a $350 blank. That's a AA++ blank, not even exhibition grade in a "common US grown wood.

Its going to be expensive. Mine was $1300 inletted, unfinished. (99% finished.) Again this was Masterclass. I haven't ordered one from Russo. Yet.

Custom wood stocks depend on the cost of the blank. Profiling and inletting are usually standard. My last Claro Walnut stock from Sitman (Masterclass) had a $350 blank. That's a AA++ blank, not even exhibition grade in a "common US grown wood.

Its going to be expensive. Mine was $1300 inletted, unfinished. (99% finished.) Again this was Masterclass. I haven't ordered one from Russo. Yet.

Ah, that's not all THAT bad... I was thinking that it might be $3k+. I mean, it's certainly more than I'd want to spend for a common knock-around gun, but for something really nice it's certainly within reason.

My god those Joel Russo made are glorious stocks. Foundation look amazing too.

So many great options, thank you all for posting

Scott

Yes sir, they really are.

I have 4 to 5 black walnut blanks that I felled and milled which are currently drying in my run-in shed. Joel Russo going to make them into stocks with the profile of a Manners T2-A. Joel said 2 to 3 years air drying, no kilns, until the moisture is 8-10%. Mine have been drying for approx 6 months now. All good things to those who wait, right ?!? Very excited about this project.

Here is one blank coming off the mill...
rifle stock blanks coming off mill small.jpg

Last edited:
holy schnikees, 2 to 3 years talk about lead time... but yes very much worth the wait.

Scott

holy schnikees, 2 to 3 years talk about lead time... but yes very much worth the wait.

Scott

You won't have to wait that long for a stock. Blank merchants have plenty of inventory in rotation with stuff available right now ready for the stockmaker.

You won't have to wait that long for a stock. Blank merchants have plenty of inventory in rotation with stuff available right now ready for the stockmaker.

Yeah, sorry to imply it takes 2-3yrs to get one of these made. Long time is because I'm providing my own blanks, which I need to let dry; it is this drying that takes so long. As 308 pirate said, you can buy a dried blank right now and get your stock going much quicker.

Also check out Cerus rifleworks the GT hybrid looks real nice.
www.cerusrifleworks.com

Those look like the stocks cigarcop uses. absolutely beautiful, and starting price is reasonable at under $800. I see John Whidden and Emil Kovan both use them. You don't get much better endorsements without visiting the Pope...

That's true. ^
Keith Weil (cigarcop) has built a bunch of our F-Class rigs this year that all came out amazing.
We cut stocks for a number of high end gunsmiths and manufacturers around the country.
Lead times are about 8 weeks right now but SHOT and the Berger Southwest Nationals is going to eat up some time.

Heres an example of our GT Hybrid stock built by Alex Wheeler in Montana.
Adjustable cheek, three way adjustable butt, small butt hook, longer 3/4" wide 2.5° keel for bag riding, longer forearm for 28"+ barrels, and carbon fiber reinforced hardwood laminates. Comes with an aluminum bedding block for Rem 700 and clones with M5 type DBM bottom metal.

WM

Attachments

• photo84571.jpg
    photo84571.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 68
  • photo84570.jpg
    photo84570.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 911
Last edited: