• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Woodleigh Brass solids on test.

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
From Left, two projectiles recovered from 670 yards. Then a projectile recovered from 1097 yards and (right) an unfired projectile for comparison. Bullet expansion is non existent.
Betermined G1 B.C. of this bullets was B.C. input of 0.50 at a muzzle velocity of 2505 fps and G1 B.C. of 0.45 at a muzzle velocity of 2953 fps.

High velocity testing at various distances out to 1100 yards provided consistent hits on target.

Re: Woodleigh Brass solids on test.

Wow...B.C. went down as fps went up? How are you measuring that?

Just on drops using matching velocities and a direct comparison with another 250 grain bullet fired under the same conditions over a period of three days shooting.
The B.C. is just an indication from my results using two rifles.
Its not as accurate as accustic testing but is in the ball park given the results that KnS got with more aggressive designs in the Nevada desert recently.
I don't think it is unusual that the B.C. could go down with a rise in velocity given the shape of these projectiles. Also a 0.05 variation in determined B.C. is not that large.

I shot a Barnes solid into some magazines with my .50 BMG in order to recover the bullet and it curved over and looks identical to the one on the left. Solids are designed for consistency and penetration. Not seeing any expansion isn't surprising.

The bending on solids is why the "dangerous game" solids used by the British in hunting Dangerous Game were blunt pointed, round nosed or flat nosed. The pointed bullets bent as seen in the pictures, and curved around inside the game giving inconsistent results. Blunt points were more consistent in penetrating straight through the animal toward and through vital points. Not good for extreme ranges...but at 30 yards against a 6000 pound elephant...you want it to go where you aim. Bell used the military 7mmx57 FMJ's with great success against elephants...but they were the early round nosed FMJ's. JMHO

What sort of media were these projectiles recovered from? Really cool comparison.

Casting your own? No. Turning might be possible, except he said they're Woodleighs...