• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Work in the oil fields

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    Does anyone here have experience working in the oil industry, or currently work there? If so, what does one need to do to get a job going? I have experience as a 3521 in the USMC (still serving, few more years left), and am considering a career working in the oil fields/industry. Shoot me a PM please.

A.J.

There are many other places to go, but I do know for a fact that you can make a killing by moving to the Bakken and working your ass off for a couple years. I have a buddy that left the Permian Basin to drive his big rig up North and he literally doubled his income. He works ~55 hour weeks and will clear $110 grand this year. There's a lot of money to be made in other areas as well. Eagleford area is killing it right now. Or you could go to the NE. What is the role of a 3521? Excuse my ignorance as I am not prior military.

Been doing it since out of high school in '78. Currently a Fluids Engineer.....it's a hot / cold motherfucker , out in weather in just about any job position , dirty and long hours and usually dangerous .... But if you got smarts you can make easily 150-250k a year..... But always remember ...watch yourself and co-workers ........Stuipid Kills ....and usually not the dumbass doing the stuipid shit ! I'm in the Eagleford / Bakken and PA fields ....it's fixing to tear ass in WTX , NM , Okla, LA , ND,SD , Wyo..etc..take your pick

Last edited:
    Not to hijack, but couldn't help myself........
    Twisted..you a mud man? What company? I worked for Imco Services from 75-77, and Western Mud/Geo International from 77-92. Was the mud engineer on the deepest well in Ca (I THINK the record still holds......Elk Hills 26,000 +). Got out in 92 and never looked back. Shit load of money even back then, but got REAL tired of the "I'm the boss and you should kiss my ass" mentality of some of the company men, especially when they didn't know shit from shinola about MY mud!

OP, if you can drive a truck, adjust a 36" pipe wrench w/ one hand, or just willing to learn, you can do well. Worked 7 years as a Master Derrickman for Loffland Bros. Drilling Co. and still have all my fingers. Was dicey a few times tho. Broken arm, 28 stitches in the scalp (still have my Dad's old six band aluminum hard hat that saved my ass), a couple of different broken fingers, and a scar on my chin (that one knocked me out of the derrick of a 147 Lee C. Moore triple. Rope belt saved me. Unconscious and hanging there till they could air hoist me down). Twisted is right watch out for the worms. They'll get ya. Everyone of my episodes was the result of someone else's fuckup. Truly.

If you can get some engineering education in the field, you're life will be a lot simpler and more financially rewarded. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Been doing it since out of high school in '78. Currently a Fluids Engineer.....it's a hot / cold motherfucker , out in weather in just about any job position , dirty and long hours and usually dangerous .... But if you got smarts you can make easily 150-250k a year..... But always remember ...watch yourself and co-workers ........Stuipid Kills ....and usually not the dumbass doing the stuipid shit ! I'm in the Eagleford / Bakken and PA fields ....it's fixing to tear ass in WTX , NM , Okla, LA , ND,SD , Wyo..etc..take your pick

LOL working in the oil field requirement:

Warm Body

When I got out of the army in '69 I left Oregon for Wyoming, I hit Gillette in the afternoon and started my first job as a deck hand at 7 the next morning. We often would hit the bars trying to find enough hands to make "tower". Worked 12 on and 12 off. To get a day off you had to quite and hide. I got married and brought my bride to Gillette. Wanted a day off to take her to dinner and a movie. I had to hide from the driller. Next morning his brother, another driller was banging on my do to get me to work on his rig.

The problem is not getting a job. The problem is finding a place to live. I was homeless, making good money and living in a '67 Mustang.

Its that way in North Dakota now. You want a job in the oil field, go to North Dakota, go to a restaurant and announce that you want to go to work. You'll find a job.

Careful though, if you don't know what you're doing tell them. They'll still hire you but they'll teach you.

When I hit Gillette, I set in a restaurant and listened to hands talk about the job. The I called a driller's number I found tacked to the wall. He asked if I worked on a rig before. ME: "Sure I can make the tongs bite, I can throw a chain, you name it". It took him (and me) about 5 minutes to find out I had no idea what I was talking about. He pulled me aside and told my, don't lie, it will get you killed, If I told him I didn't know what I was doing he would have hired me anyway but trained me. Telling him I knew the job when I didn't would get me or someone else killed. He told me he didn't believe me so was watching. If he had took me for my word, I would have been in big trouble.

So during a boom,,,,,, all you need to get a job in the oil field is a warm body.

Driller: "Worm, why are you dragging that chain"
    Worm: "Driller, you ever try to push one"

Last edited:
    Depending on what you want to do it can be pretty easy getting into it. There are many other choices other than the oil fields. Good luck to you sir.

North Dakota sucks ass. We have had to do rotations up there. There are plenty of jobs in places like Texas and Colorado. There is money everywhere. You could operate a plant, just about anyone can do that. If you're going to mechanic you better be more than a "warm body"

Not to hijack, but couldn't help myself........
    Twisted..you a mud man? What company? I worked for Imco Services from 75-77, and Western Mud/Geo International from 77-92. Was the mud engineer on the deepest well in Ca (I THINK the record still holds......Elk Hills 26,000 +). Got out in 92 and never looked back. Shit load of money even back then, but got REAL tired of the "I'm the boss and you should kiss my ass" mentality of some of the company men, especially when they didn't know shit from shinola about MY mud!

OP, if you can drive a truck, adjust a 36" pipe wrench w/ one hand, or just willing to learn, you can do well. Worked 7 years as a Master Derrickman for Loffland Bros. Drilling Co. and still have all my fingers. Was dicey a few times tho. Broken arm, 28 stitches in the scalp (still have my Dad's old six band aluminum hard hat that saved my ass), a couple of different broken fingers, and a scar on my chin (that one knocked me out of the derrick of a 147 Lee C. Moore triple. Rope belt saved me. Unconscious and hanging there till they could air hoist me down). Twisted is right watch out for the worms. They'll get ya. Everyone of my episodes was the result of someone else's fuckup. Truly.

If you can get some engineering education in the field, you're life will be a lot simpler and more financially rewarded. Good luck on whatever you decide.
    . Tornado Production Services / Pro Directional Drilling Sevices Mostly clear fluids blending , friction reducers , gels, polymers , lost circ materials ...etc. Best friend owns the company and I just went to work for him 2 years ago .

What about us idiots who became over educated in fields nobody wants (law) and have no practical skills? Could we count as warm bodies. Not a joke btw, serious question.

Yes you can. Hiring warm bodies in the eagleford as pumpers, etc. if you've got drive, ability to learn, and know how to get along with people there is good opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like Twisted and kraigWY said: If you're willing to work hard and not stupid, you can get a job. The industry was, and looks like, still is desperate for hands. YOU may have an adjustment period primarily BECAUSE of your education. It's a different world, really. I would THINK it's still a mentality of "Wooden derricks and Iron Men", know whut ah mean, Vern? They won't care one whit/shit about you being a legal eagle.

True story:
    I was 14 when I started on the work over rigs driving a water truck. Skills? Shit, I barely know how to jerk off at that age....let alone throw a spinning chain, change a pump valve, or pull back drill collars in the derrick. Got MY first drilling rig/oilfield job off a list of "Hands wanted" on a small blackboard at the local bar/pool hall at 16. (I know, 16 at the time but my mother was a waitress there). C

Call up driller, ME: "I ain't never done this before but I'm willing and I need the job". DRILLER: "You scared of heights?" ME: "Nope". DRILLER; "Pick you up at 6am. Pack a lunch". ME: What do we take off for lunch?" DRILLER: "One glove and one glove ONLY".

You guys getting the drift here? It ain't brain surgery, but it IS hard and dangerous work. Ya gotta be hungry.

What about us idiots who became over educated in fields nobody wants (law) and have no practical skills? Could we count as warm bodies. Not a joke btw, serious question.

Thanks all. I applied for a job in PA for now. It looks like it pays ok, and for now its better than being unemployed over some B.S.. Hope it works out, otherwise I have a few I have been eying out west. Would be a big move but it would be worth it, as I have always dreamed of living out there.

Serious reply then .....you should move up fast , you can think and reason on your own ! Common sense is not common at all in the oilfield with all the young kids trying to work now days . If you can follow orders /give orders and remember what you are told , you will move up fast ....we got guys that show up everyday and ask ...what do I do ? I tell them wtf did you do yesterday, last week , last month ??? Get to fkn work ! Geez !

Thank you for the great info. Truthfully it would be a hard sell for the wife and kids, but it is something I will file away.

It's like Twisted and kraigWY said: If you're willing to work hard and not stupid, you can get a job. The industry was, and looks like, still is desperate for hands. YOU may have an adjustment period primarily BECAUSE of your education. It's a different world, really. I would THINK it's still a mentality of "Wooden derricks and Iron Men", know whut ah mean, Vern? They won't care one whit/shit about you being a legal eagle.

True story:
    I was 14 when I started on the work over rigs driving a water truck. Skills? Shit, I barely know how to jerk off at that age....let alone throw a spinning chain, change a pump valve, or pull back drill collars in the derrick. Got MY first drilling rig/oilfield job off a list of "Hands wanted" on a small blackboard at the local bar/pool hall at 16. (I know, 16 at the time but my mother was a waitress there). C

Call up driller, ME: "I ain't never done this before but I'm willing and I need the job". DRILLER: "You scared of heights?" ME: "Nope". DRILLER; "Pick you up at 6am. Pack a lunch". ME: What do we take off for lunch?" DRILLER: "One glove and one glove ONLY".

You guys getting the drift here? It ain't brain surgery, but it IS hard and dangerous work. Ya gotta be hungry.

Im interested in this also, seems like interesting work after Im done with the Navy.