• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Work out while traveling for work

padronanniversary

Sergeant
Minuteman
My work involves a lot of travel on planes to cities in the US. Unfortunately my routine is interrupted in terms of working out.

What at do you all do when traveling ? there is the gym at the hotel which is mediocre at best.

It doesn't help that I am entertaining customers and eating out, not to mention having drinks late into the night.

Running never fails. Only takes a pair of shoes, socks, shorts and shirt. Fast and easy. Follow with 15-20 min of whatever weights you can find in the hotel gyms when available.

I usually do several sets of push ups and crunches, along with a run.
I have also been known to take a set of workout bands on extended trips and include them in the above workout

Pre-fatigue your muscles first. I travel for my job a lot and would be out of town staying in a hotel for a few nights a week. Sometimes I could find a local gym that would let me pay a reasonably daily pass but if I had to use the gym in the hotel I had to switch things up a bit being that they usually only have dumbells up to 50lbs. If I was working something like shoulders the. I would do a lot of super sets and work on volume. I normally shoulder press with 90's so 50's don't do a lot unless you're trying to do sets of 25. I would usually do a set of side raises and get the shoulder nice and fatigued and then press with the 50's and I'd get a good work out like that. Then go run some sprints on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes and call it good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
My biggest issue is I feel lazy or guilty if I don't get a full gym workout in. Then I remind myself, any movement is better than nothing when on the road.

Depending on where you are traveling, there is a group called F3 that offers free boot camps early in the morning. Usually start at 4:30-5:15. They have website you can use to find if a location is near you. They are typically high speed, low drag type workouts as opposed to weight lifting.

Ryan

A couple workouts that I try to do when traveling and I have limited equipment to work with...

"Hotel Workout"
Goal = accumulate 100 total repetitions of dumbell thrusters (front squat into overhead press), extra points if you do hang squat clean thrusters (lower the weights to your knees after every rep), Dumbell weight at 15-20lb for beginner, 25lb intermediate, 35lb advanced.
The only trick is that every minute, on the minute you have to stop and do 5 burpees. You have the rest of the minute to keep working towards 100 reps.

"Death by Burpees"
Every minute, on the minute, try to complete 1 more burpee than the previous minute. You have the full 60 seconds to get them done. Start at 1 burpee, then 2, then 3, etc. The workout ends when you can't finish the burpees within 60 seconds. My personal best on this one is 17, almost 18 minutes/burpees.

Both of these are pure hell workouts, are relatively short, and make me fell less guilty about eating out and drinking afterwards. :)

Get some quality Gymnastic Rings from a company like Onnit, or one of the "suspension training" systems like TRX (there are cheaper but I can't think of their names at the moment). Then all you need is the door to your hotel room, or some other place to put your rings or suspension system. I'm a Sr. Manager for a consulting firm; Monday through Thursday travel can be the norm. I never leave without back my rings, and a suspension trainer.

Best case, if I have the time while traveling, I'll take my rings and suspension gear to the hotel gym; and have amazing workouts. Same as I would at home. If time is too tight, I simply use the adapters that come with these things to attach them to the hotel room door; and still get an amazing workout. Only slightly modified to allow for potentially limited space.

On top of everything else, rings are one of the best pieces of fitness equipment ever. Especially if you're into functional strength.

I had the same issue, I traveled 80% of the time. I started skipping breakfast to offset the client dinners and had a protein shake for lunch.

For hotel gyms I ended up doing a lot of research on body weight exercises and did that in my room at night, lots of pushups and sit ups and body weight squats.

The best thing to do is find hotels that have a decent gym (vice the normal closet with mirrors, only has dumbells, and some gay assed rubber bands or some other bull shit).

Aside from that, at least find some local gyms that have walk-in/day passes.

As to time, get used to working out in the morning and get up early. Dealing with clients/customers pretty much negates working out in the evening with any regularity. Just start working out at home in the early morning, so that when you travel it really isn't all the much different.

BTW, you'd be surprised how many black steel/cross fit gyms are popping up, and will have a daily/visitor rate.

A couple workouts that I try to do when traveling and I have limited equipment to work with...

"Hotel Workout"
Goal = accumulate 100 total repetitions of dumbell thrusters (front squat into overhead press), extra points if you do hang squat clean thrusters (lower the weights to your knees after every rep), Dumbell weight at 15-20lb for beginner, 25lb intermediate, 35lb advanced.
The only trick is that every minute, on the minute you have to stop and do 5 burpees. You have the rest of the minute to keep working towards 100 reps.

"Death by Burpees"
Every minute, on the minute, try to complete 1 more burpee than the previous minute. You have the full 60 seconds to get them done. Start at 1 burpee, then 2, then 3, etc. The workout ends when you can't finish the burpees within 60 seconds. My personal best on this one is 17, almost 18 minutes/burpees.

Both of these are pure hell workouts, are relatively short, and make me fell less guilty about eating out and drinking afterwards. :)

I'm going to try this. Thanks!

Reactions: Sheldon N
Most of my travel is on weekdays so the pool is usually not overran with children. I will swim laps and then do push-ups and sit-ups in the room after. I hate running so the pool is a better cardio source for me. At the local gym I use the stair master and heavy weight training so obviously my travel workouts are not ideal since I prefer powerlifting but it keeps the pump so I don’t feel like I shrink up after a week of travel.

Glad I found this thread.

On the road with work more then I am home. Hotel “gyms” suck, so trying to find a decent way to workout. I have a really good jump rope, and have a few workout from my home CrossFit Box to give a go.

Eating clean is the hardest. I usually don’t eat breakfast save for a cup of coffee, and the other techs I am with love to eat out.

Highly considering picking up a small propane grill to keep in the bed of the work rig so at night at the hotel I can pick up chicken and some veggies and grill them up. Anyone done this?

I travel a lot, and I mean a lot. I’m on the backside of the clock daily and my eating routine and sleep routines are in a constant state of disruption. I rely heavily on protein shakes and try to eat as clean as possible which usually leaves me always hungry. I don’t drink while traveling and I just make the best of the hotel gyms. But, one thing to consider, many hotels also have deals where guests have access to place like the local YMCA or other gyms. Ask the front desk. Also, many gyms will have daily passes at fairly reasonable rates, like 5 bucks. I have also done P90X in the hotel room. Anything is better than nothing. Pushups. Sit-ups. Squats with your suitcase on your back. Bring resistance bands. The hardest part is eating healthy. It’s near impossible.

Reactions: lou400a
I'm a long time crossfit junkie, and there are about 100 crossfit workouts that are body weight only. The main site has tons of info on hotel workouts.

Hi,

@TacticalDillhole
Easiest way I have found for clean eating while traveling is Quest Protein Bars.
21g Protein
200 Calories
21gr Total Carbs
15gr Dietary Fiber
1gr Sugar

And best of all the pack very easily.
For Protein Drinks I prefer Premier Protein Chocolate.

I go days, sometimes weeks with only eating those bars.
And almost every country has canned sardines in water....great protein, low carbs (Depending on amount of crackers you eat with them lol) and low cals.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

@TacticalDillhole
Easiest way I have found for clean eating while traveling is Quest Protein Bars.
21g Protein
200 Calories
21gr Total Carbs
15gr Dietary Fiber
1gr Sugar

And almost every country has canned sardines in water....great protein, low carbs (Depending on amount of crackers you eat with them lol) and low cals.

Sincerely,
Theis

Sardines. ??????

My work involves a lot of travel on planes to cities in the US. Unfortunately my routine is interrupted in terms of working out.

What at do you all do when traveling ? there is the gym at the hotel which is mediocre at best.

It doesn't help that I am entertaining customers and eating out, not to mention having drinks late into the night.

I've found that when traveling without an adequate gym, doing metabolite training is absolutely the most effective way. You can still grow insanely well over short time spans focusing on high-rep, low-weight, and 5-10s rest intervals between sets to failure.

Hi,

@TacticalDillhole
21g Protein
200 Calories
21gr Total Carbs
15gr Dietary Fiber
1gr Sugar

Sincerely,
Theis
Quest has a ton of new snacks to that are awesome. i like to bring those on the plane. Their protein chips are great. At home you can make nacho's with them and not feel to guilty about it.

I'd get a hold of a really nice set of resistance bands, you can actually smoke yourself with a good set. Just be sure they have proper door stops or you'll come out bruised and red - ask me how I know.

I pack a TRX on every trip. Real light weight and offers a ton of options. Ever done atomic pushups??

Sign up at a franchise gym (LA Fitness, 24Hour Fitness, etc.). Your membership works with them all.

As far as eating out goes that is easy. Eat meat and green or colorful veggies and unsweetened tea or water. Done. Do it every time.

Sprints outside the hotel when possible.
I always spend more time on my core while on the road as it's always something that can improve and as it gets stronger so does everything else.
Superset push pull exercises with limited rest to offset the lack of heavier weights.

Works for me

The hardest part is eating healthy. It’s near impossible.

That is easy...super easy depending on the budget you get. I travel all over the planet and never have a problem with getting healthy food.

I don’t drink while traveling

Now this is impossible...hence my problem..

Most hotels have decent gyms where you can get an excellent cardio workout. I do body weight exercises and that is more than enough to keep the weight off. However, I bet we have different goals so my approach is definitely enough to keep me fit while on the road. If you are a more demanding, it may be a lot harder but the food part should be a simple matter

Last edited:
When traveling I sometimes did the deck of cards workout that I learned from the inmates. You pull a card and use the number on the card to dictate the number of reps you do for the exercise. This can be push ups, sit ups, dips between two chairs or burpees. Just be creative. The high cards can be whatever number you want. Just some food for thought.

Before I was promoted to me level of incompetence I would be anywhere in the country up to two and sometimes three weeks. I finally just came to the conclusion that I have to make do with what was available and cut my normal workout in half on average just for maintenance. Fuck it.

Last edited by a moderator:
When traveling I sometimes did the deck of cards workout that I learned from the inmates. You pull a card and use the number on the card to dictate the number of reps you do for the exercise. This can be push ups, sit ups, dips between two chairs or burpees. Just be creative. The high cards can be whatever number you want. Just some food for thought.

I like this some of these inmates are in isolation 23 hours a day and manage to stay in very good shape.

Yep, their creativity with their workouts wit virtually nothing motivates me to maintain a decent level of fitness. Me and some of my buddies even use this in group workouts to change up the normal routine.

Jocko spoke at Chris Kyle's funeral. Along with his many other accomplishments he is a very impressive speaker.
I meant psycho in the most respectful way. His discipline is unmatched and yes he’s an excellent speaker.

Reactions: MarinePMI
So what TRX setup do y’all recommend for home use?

So what TRX setup do y’all recommend for home use?

Uh. None. None of the bungee cord, strap, spring loaded crap is ever going to replace or be as efficient of a workout than picking up a barbell loaded with iron plates. If you're at home, you need to be working out with steel. That bungee cord crap is for when there is absolutely nothing else to use, and for (hoping to) maintain what you've got while away from home.

Sorry, but those things don't get you any stronger after a while. You have to be able to add weight to the resistance, and your body weight remains fairly constant. You will plateau with body weight based exercises and equipment.

Uh. None. None of the bungee cord, strap, spring loaded crap is ever going to replace or be as efficient of a workout than picking up a barbell loaded with iron plates. If you're at home, you need to be working out with steel. That bungee cord crap is for when there is absolutely nothing else to use, and for (hoping to) maintain what you've got while away from home.

Sorry, but those things don't get you any stronger after a while. You have to be able to add weight to the resistance, and your body weight remains fairly constant. You will plateau with body weight based exercises and equipment.

Meant travel

I just utilize the gym at the hotel. No matter the time zone or how late I have been out the night before, I force myself to get up early and go to the gym. Generally, I will scope out the gym when I arrive and try to get a mental idea of what I will do the next morning. That little bit of planning seems to help. Even a mediocre gym has enough equipment to get a good workout in. And, it gives me more energy throughout the day, helps flush out the alcohol, etc.

I just utilize the gym at the hotel. No matter the time zone or how late I have been out the night before, I force myself to get up early and go to the gym. Generally, I will scope out the gym when I arrive and try to get a mental idea of what I will do the next morning. That little bit of planning seems to help. Even a mediocre gym has enough equipment to get a good workout in. And, it gives me more energy throughout the day, helps flush out the alcohol, etc.

I've found it also helps with jetlag.

BTW, the gym at the London County Hall Marriott is frigging awesome (full lifting platform and power cage). It's been the best gym yet that I have seen in a hotel (except that all the plates are metric :p)

Reactions: kdmcd
When i used to travel a lot for work in the 2008-2013 time-frame, I would find a crossfit box near the hotel or client site and pay the drop-in fee for a week and hit up their 6am workout. There were certainly days I was tired, stayed out too late the night before, and all other bullshit, but I was able to make myself get in and get it done and never regretted it. I don't really do crossfit much now and dont travel for work often, but when I do that is still my go-to plan. It ensures I will get in a good workout and not just do some BS in the tiny shit-hole back room most hotels call the "Fitness Center."

My athletes that frequently can't get to gym when they travel take resistance bands with them
They have a full body routine they do with bodyweight and and bands
One of my athletes that relies on kettlebell swings for back health maintenance carries 2 sandbag kettlebells with him

He does outside dbl swings

Deck of cards workout. There are a thousand different versions (and apps). I like that it feels like more of a prescribed workout than choose your own adventure.

If the gym really sucks I will do the stairs followed with sit ups and push ups. Sometimes theses small gyms have other people already using the equipment so if a time crunch. Never thought about doing video work outs
On YouTube... that’s very clever.

If for some reason I can’t workout at all

I will just skip the last meal of the day
With my theory being i will stay trimmed one way or another.