• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Working out with the wife

EricF517

Online Training Member
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2009
Howell, Michigan
Years ago I was in great shaped and never thought about it. I played hockey and loved it. After I quit hockey I put on a few pounds. Fast forward to a few years ago I got my ass back into shape because I was headed to the academy. After the academy I was loving running, I never did before then. 2 years ago I herniated a disc in my lower back which put me out of commission for a few (5) months. I fell off the wagon after than and never got back on.

Fast forward some more and the wife decided that she wanted her 25yr old body back. I just wanted my 30yr old body back LOL. She went and bought P90X without me knowing and was doing it without me. It lasted only 4 days for her since she has never worked out in her life. She hated being that sore, since she didn't take baby steps, she just dove in.

After talking a few weeks ago she did some more research and realized that there was the Power 90 workouts which are like the beginners DVD's to P90X.

So starting tomorrow we have a 3 day a week plan. We are going to do the C25K runs, about 1/2 hour, then we are going to do the workouts with the AB ripper.

We have also decided that every meal we eat will be cut by at least 1/4 1/2 of the portion as normal.

Her goal is to loose about 35lbs and mine is to drop as much as I possibly can, with a realistic goal of hitting 205 from my 252 I am now.

Any suggestions on how to make sure she stays motivated to keep doing this?

Re: Working out with the wife

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions on how to make sure she stays motivated to keep doing this? </div></div>

Tell her, that her fat ass doesn't get your dick hard anymore. YMMV. :p

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BALLISTIC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions on how to make sure she stays motivated to keep doing this? </div></div>

Tell her, that her fat ass doesn't get your dick hard anymore. YMMV. :p </div></div>

Please keep me posted on how this works out for you.

He didn't say HE was going to do it, he just told the OP to. ;-)

Thats what he says on the INSIDE, on the OUTSIDE he says something a bit different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think telling here that would help at all. </div></div>

I think your sarcasm detector is broken...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Years ago I was in great shaped and never thought about it. I played hockey and loved it. After I quit hockey I put on a few pounds. Fast forward to a few years ago I got my ass back into shape because I was headed to the academy. After the academy I was loving running, I never did before then. 2 years ago I herniated a disc in my lower back which put me out of commission for a few (5) months. I fell off the wagon after than and never got back on.

Fast forward some more and the wife decided that she wanted her 25yr old body back. I just wanted my 30yr old body back LOL. She went and bought P90X without me knowing and was doing it without me. It lasted only 4 days for her since she has never worked out in her life. She hated being that sore, since she didn't take baby steps, she just dove in.

After talking a few weeks ago she did some more research and realized that there was the Power 90 workouts which are like the beginners DVD's to P90X.

So starting tomorrow we have a 3 day a week plan. We are going to do the C25K runs, about 1/2 hour, then we are going to do the workouts with the AB ripper.

We have also decided that every meal we eat will be cut by at least 1/4 1/2 of the portion as normal.

Her goal is to loose about 35lbs and mine is to drop as much as I possibly can, with a realistic goal of hitting 205 from my 252 I am now.
w
Any suggestions on how to make sure she stays motivated to keep doing this? </div></div>
I'm in the same boat Eric. 1) Always compliment her on her progress and 2) Always make it fun for her. If she's competitive use that as motivation to keep her drive. Have friendly competitions with her and let her win sometimes. Obviously you're going to whoop her ass if you guys were in a weight room but cardio routines are different. Talk to her about having one of her girlfriends join. She'll feel less insecure by the natural athletic and strength prowess of a man if theres a woman there and hopefully you'll have a hot friends ass to stare at. Have a cheat day with food. Try to eat as healthy as possible and one day a week allow yourselves to eat the foods you love most. You guys will look at this day as if Jesus rose from his grave. It keeps your sanity when dieting. I'm not really into a cheat day anyway but when someone is just starting out it helps keep them focused. And for the icing on the cake after a few weeks or however long it takes to see her progress buy her some lingerie. Tell her you're so impressed by how her body looks you wanted to see it in something sexy.

Yes, I know. I sound like a girl but having 3 older sisters taught me a lot on how to treat a woman.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Years ago I was in great shaped and never thought about it. I played hockey and loved it. After I quit hockey I put on a few pounds. Fast forward to a few years ago I got my ass back into shape because I was headed to the academy. After the academy I was loving running, I never did before then. 2 years ago I herniated a disc in my lower back which put me out of commission for a few (5) months. I fell off the wagon after than and never got back on.

Any suggestions on how to make sure she stays motivated to keep doing this? </div></div>

I just did this with my wife. I went through p90x and then graduated to insanity. Now, my wife is doing insanity with me three days a week and she walks on the treadmill the other 3 days when I am doing the rest of the workouts. I will tell you what worked for me. I can tell when she is starting to get defeated. When I can see it happening I will ask her if we can take a break and pause the video. I do it this way so that she doesn't think that I am being hard on her or bossing her around. If she thinks I need a break it is ok for her to take a break. Also, if there is an exercise that I know she can't do (ie a bunch of push ups) I will help her modify it so that she can participate without hurting herself. So, when I am doing push up jacks I will have her do push ups off of her knees because they are easier. I also got her to start drinking a protein shake (a real one) after we work out. She recovers faster so that she isn't in pain. She didn't listen to me at first and her legs were killing her.

Honestly, it helps me that she works out. Sometimes I don't feel like getting up at 5 am (like this morning when I only had about 4 hours of sleep) but she will push me so we can work out together. If two people are doing it together then hopefully there is always one who wants to keep pushing forward b/c everyone has their days when they want to change their routine. If you tell her that then she might want to push herself harder because people like to be needed and she won't want to let you down.

Good luck.

How to keep her motivated -

Like all things, the men of the house need to keep their negative comments to themselves, lead by example, expound at every opportunity on how good your body feels not eating crap, occasionally eat crap and whine about how bad your feel because of it, encourage her, tell her how good shoe looks when she trys....

Seriously, you'll likely always outpace her, but she will follow if you are positive about her efforts simply because she doesn't want to be left behind.

Don't believe it? Start taking note of couples - generally speaking they tend mirror each other with at least their level of fitness.

Also as a parent - your childern watch and learn. In an era of GMO, high fructose, hydrogenated, dogshit, and sedentary video game playing lifestyles for little ones, with BarryCare in the horizon - the ever present example of eat right and excercise daily is one of the greatest gifts you can give them.

"Men" lead by example.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchustle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I just did this with my wife. I went through p90x and then graduated to insanity. Now, my wife is doing insanity with me three days a week and she walks on the treadmill the other 3 days when I am doing the rest of the workouts. I will tell you what worked for me. I can tell when she is starting to get defeated. When I can see it happening I will ask her if we can take a break and pause the video. I do it this way so that she doesn't think that I am being hard on her or bossing her around. If she thinks I need a break it is ok for her to take a break. Also, if there is an exercise that I know she can't do (ie a bunch of push ups) I will help her modify it so that she can participate without hurting herself. So, when I am doing push up jacks I will have her do push ups off of her knees because they are easier. I also got her to start drinking a protein shake (a real one) after we work out. She recovers faster so that she isn't in pain. She didn't listen to me at first and her legs were killing her.

Honestly, it helps me that she works out. Sometimes I don't feel like getting up at 5 am (like this morning when I only had about 4 hours of sleep) but she will push me so we can work out together. If two people are doing it together then hopefully there is always one who wants to keep pushing forward b/c everyone has their days when they want to change their routine. If you tell her that then she might want to push herself harder because people like to be needed and she won't want to let you down.

Good luck.</div></div>

I've been doing P90X also with my wife, really helps us to stick with it b/c on days where one of us doesn't feel like doing it the other will make them. Also we are both working on our diet to clean it up and count what we are eating, this would be very difficult if it wasn't a group effort in the house.

just piling on here>my wife and i both do P90x together,she is 48 and i am 55.She also does kettle bells,bikes,and treadmill/eliptical.I lift weights.

we both eat very well,thanks to her cooking and my grilling.
when she gets unmotivated i just open her closet doors and show her her wardrobe.

Keep going.

Thanks for the help guys. She is happy she made the decision to start. Her Dr. told her the other day that diet and exercise is the best thing for anyone. She has been having stomach issues since her fight with cancer a few years back. The Dr. told her that he won't prescribe her anything until she spends one month eating healthy and working out. He spent a lot of time explaining her how those will help her out.

Made me happy he wasn't a pill pusher type. Seemed he was a liberal after he commented on her 2A T-shirt she was wearing, and my Nugent shirt I found at Cabelas, "If guns kill people, all mine are defective." Real nice guy and knowledgeable. Made an impact on her thinking involving working out.

If she has stomach problems have her cut out spicy food, dairy and "white carbs" like white bread and regular pasta. My wife had stomach issues for a long time and it wasn't until she went to a chinese doctor for acupuncture that anyone told her how to fix it. She will still have spicy food every once in a while but we both eat wheat bread and wheat pasta. The toughest dairy item to cut out is cheese. Either of us can do it completely. We both eat pizza (wheat crust) from time to time.