• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Worst 9mm and 45

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
Hey I just wanted some opinions on super turds.
I am thinking of writing an artical on what to buy and what not to in 9mm and 45. I may go buy a few of these turds to see how bad it really gets. So where should I start?

So far I'm thinking
-Hi point
-Llama

Re: Worst 9mm and 45

hipoint are best to be avoided. I have three relatives one has one in 9mm the next 40 and one in 45. All of them are junk. None of them are very accurate. They will not shoot a couple mags without jamming. Quality they are lack luster at best. If I needed a handgun for self-defense I would rather go without until I could afford a ruger. I have a P89 and that 9mm shoots better than any of those hipoints. If you are very cheap and want a gun that goes bang with some headache and cost it is a good way to go. I want it to go bang every time with no headache. Quality costs I am ok with that.

Other than that it truly depends on what you want. I would love a race gun but I always have a handgun with me and ruggedness is key for what I do. I can give up some accuracy so it will go bang every time I want it to.

I would be surprised if highpoint doesn't top your list.

Lorcin 9mm. My dad bought one quite a few years ago at a hardware for $89.99 brand new. It is a jam-o-matic, keyholes almost every round at 15 yards, and stovepipes the last round in the mag every time. I once heard about another fellow that bought two, shot them a few times, then ran them through a band saw. He said he took it as a $170 lesson to not buy Lorcin.

As for the .45 I personally don't have any experience with this one, and I can't say that I wouldn't buy one for the right price but never-the-less....
liberator45.jpg

Due to the unrifled barrel, maximum effective range was only about 25 feet. At longer range, the bullet would begin to tumble and stray off course. The Liberator was shipped in a cardboard box with 10 rounds of .45 ACP ammunition, a wooden dowel to remove the empty cartridge case, and an instruction sheet in comic strip form showing how to load and fire the weapon. Extra rounds of ammunition could be stored in the pistol grip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bo Beaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for the .45 I personally don't have any experience with this one, and I can't say that I wouldn't buy one for the right price but never-the-less....
liberator45.jpg

Due to the unrifled barrel, maximum effective range was only about 25 feet. At longer range, the bullet would begin to tumble and stray off course. The Liberator was shipped in a cardboard box with 10 rounds of .45 ACP ammunition, a wooden dowel to remove the empty cartridge case, and an instruction sheet in comic strip form showing how to load and fire the weapon. Extra rounds of ammunition could be stored in the pistol grip.
</div></div>

er, yeah...you might want to look a bit deeper into the whys and wherefores of the Liberator and it's comic strip instructions....

store near me has a reasonable one for $2k. Does that count as a right price for you ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was just gonna say the ruger p89, clunkin junkin </div></div>

+1

Did Jennings ever make a 9mm?
As to the Liberator, it was purpose built and would definitely NOT be in the worst list. It was like the M3 grease gun Inexpensive, 100% functional and a piece of history.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was just gonna say the ruger p89, clunkin junkin</div></div>

Dont knock the p89, the one I had was as accurate as any combat tupperware, and as reliable as any 1911..(for a 9mm of coarse). I am still pissed I sold it.

As for worst...I had a Walther P99 in 40sw. I dunno if the 9mm variants or the Smith n Wesson SW99 version in .45 had these issues, but it did not like JHP ammo. Shot ball fine, couldnt get the adjustable grip to where I liked it, the trigger on the QA model felt like it was cut with the presision of a circular saw. I also had a Springfeild Armory GI 1911. I think mine was a fluke of engineering as it would constantly FTE. Shot lights out, but each case had to be manually cleared. I tried all the home remedies, and any pistol I felt that needed money put into it when it was NIB wasnt worth it. Other than that, I cant think of any that are real turds that I have direct experience with. Just hearsay from other folks.

I understand full well the history, intent, and importance of the FP-45 "Liberator" project. I wasn't implying that it was useless or accidentally of lesser quality from the manufacturer. Simply that the unrifled barrel meant that accuracy was nil after 25 feet. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i was just gonna say the ruger p89, clunkin junkin </div></div>

LOL. the first gun I ever bought was a Ruger P89, what a piece of crap, wasn't long before I trded that POS in.

Hipoint, Hipoint, Hipoint, Hipoint, Hipoint.

Did I mention Hipoint?

GLOCK!!!

Joking...JUST JOKING (before the flaming starts)!!! Sorry...somebody had to throw that out there!
wink.gif

I would have to say HiPoint!! Pure, unadulterated SHITE!!

I once owned a S&W Model 59. It was awfulness personified.

My neighbor has a P89 and while it is clunkin' I would never call it junkin'. The gun is built like a tank, granted an old tank but a tank nonetheless.

I second the question as to whether Jennings made a 9mm.

Have never shot a Hi-point, but I always see their owners at the range, struggling more than shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did Jennings ever make a 9mm?
As to the Liberator, it was purpose built and would definitely NOT be in the worst list. It was like the M3 grease gun Inexpensive, 100% functional and a piece of history. </div></div>

Yes Jennings did make a 9mm at one point. I actually now two people that had them years ago. They were very heavy. I actually forgot all about Jennings.

A S&W Sigma was so bad they had to give them away with the purchase of any other smith gun. It was a POS

Obviously the hipoint is in the running for the historically worst handgun. That said, the worst gun I've ever shot was a Llama. My buddy has one and we can make a good living giving people 3 shots at an easy target (make one hit and get paid). Haven't had to pay up yet. It shoots 4 feet low at 5 yards.

IF you discount the HiPoints (many of which run flawlessly and group well, BTW), I would have to say the 1st gen Sigma is one of the biggest POS 9mms ever foisted on the gun-buying public. A ripoff of the Glock with none of the reliability or durability built in...how the hell did S&W manage that?

As for 45, I would have to say the Cobra Patriot is in the running. The AMT products also must make the short list, though. I've shot AMTs that worked great, but I've also shot flaming turds with Arcadia Machine & Tool markings on the slides. As an example, one Hardballer had a 90% failure rate before going back to the factory. When my friend got it back, it was 100% unreliable. After a competent 'smith worked on it (albeit without replacing anything per my friend's request), it was reliable 50% of the time.

Not overly impressed with STAR.

And I love my Beretta but the COUGAR model - too easy to stovepipe...although a nice feeling weapon you CANNOT limp wrist it.

Highpoint and SW sigma. I have fired both and they are complete shit! A slingshot should place higher on the list than these two!
wink.gif

Without going into the obviously terrible guns like the hi-point, Glock (JUST KIDDING), and other foreign chitty brands... Stay away from the Smith and Wesson Sigma series like a few others have mentioned. Dad bought one a while back in 9mm just for a plinker, wont even touch it now.

Honestly, i would rather throw the bullets than shoot them out of that thing. Might even be more accurate now that i think about it.

How can hi point not win this one?

On a side note, last time I was in Cabelas the had a few hi points there. IN THE GUN LIBRARY!!! Ugh.

it's a tie for me... had a S&W sigma (older one) that would double tap even after it was fixed at the factory, it's long been sold ha... another is the hi-point 9mm carbine because my buddy went and bought it to shoot carbine matches with me and it turns out that a jam every 15-20 shots doesn't help your scores
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">GLOCK!!!

Joking...JUST JOKING (before the flaming starts)!!! Sorry...somebody had to throw that out there!
wink.gif

I would have to say HiPoint!! Pure, unadulterated SHITE!! </div></div>

its funny you said glock... because i was going to say 1911s to see how many people got pissed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did Jennings ever make a 9mm?
As to the Liberator, it was purpose built and would definitely NOT be in the worst list. It was like the M3 grease gun Inexpensive, 100% functional and a piece of history. </div></div>

my buddy has a jennings 9mm... i think its made from 20 pounds of stainless... heavy pos

From the perspective of working in a gun store that also does gun smithing, I get to see what goes wrong.

I would rather defend myself with a HiPoint (especially one of their carbines, but that's outside the scope of this) than with a S&W Sigma. I HATE the Sigma with a passion. They're just awful pieces of junk. The HiPoints are ugly, but in the testing we've done with them, they actually do work most of the time and are combat-accurate. We had a few for rental on the range, and they held up pretty well considering. Are they the best? No. But they're definitely the best in that price range.

The Ruger P89 is clunky, but as a whole they just keep going. The Ruger P95 is pretty bad, though.

The Lorcin, Jiminez, Jennings, etc. never work, and cannot be made to work. We will not take them on trade. We will not sell them. We will not performing gunsmithing services on them. They are worthless as firearms.

I still vote for highpoint. On a side note as to poor accuracy. My brother and his wife went to Las Vegas and of couse went to the Gun Store to shoot some FA weapons. His wife shoot the UZI pistol. What ever distance they shoot as all ALL of the bullets hit the paper side way. Not just some of them but all of them. She fired 50 shots and all of them were sideway. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a part of history, junk or not I would buy one and put it in a frame </div></div>

Ditto!

It would be hard to beat the Hipoint for the worst handgun design. I shot a 9mm and it had some kind of stoppage every few rounds and was the most inaccurate pistol I've ever fired. The rear sight worked its way loose after the second mag and was falling off.

I actually like the P89. My dad has one that I've shot well on several range trips.

I did own a sigma for a very very short period. It was a jam-o-matic and was quickly traded. S&W got it right with the M&P ,which I own several, so I'm sure the remodeled sigmas are better.

I have a Llama compact 45.
Super turd.
If you do an article I would sell it to you.