• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Worst job you ever had thread

Re: Worst job you ever had thread

I got you all beat....I used to be a janitor at an adult video arcade. To this day whenever I hear a Mexican say "we do the jobs
white folks wont do" I have to laugh....

shootist...wow! after reading yours, I have nothing to complain about!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got you all beat....I used to be a janitor at an adult video arcade. To this day whenever I hear a Mexican say "we do the jobs
white folks wont do" I have to laugh....</div></div>
That is just nasty. I don't think I would do that in MOPP gear

Yeah, the Hollister thing is the same as that faggot asshat who bought the rights to the VOn Dutch artwork and made clothing out of it. Since then he has become bored with ol Von D and came out with Ed Hardy and in his gay phrasology,"Ed Hardy is the NEW Von Dutch!" I can see all those old school hot rodders, tattoo artists, greasers, gearheads and bikers turning over in their graves

...shootist...Thats bad, I think thats the winner so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: green_vaccine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Personal bodyguard for a "Rent-a-Stripper" company!

You know how guys can get out of control in a strip club sometimes... you know "that guy!"

Well just imagine, being on their turf!

90% of the time, things went fine and smooth, but the other 10% of the times were SHTF!!! </div></div>

I can only imagine, did you carry on the job? </div></div>

No... its only open carry in WI, I didn't want some drunk bastard possibly grabbing for a gun on my hip! It stayed in the trunk of the car!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkgsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Toss up at 16 I worked in a bakery, had to get up at 4am then go in and stick my hands in 250 degree oil to flip donuts - Or work on the labor gang in the tube mill. You don't know fun until your under the threading machines shoveling chips and oil into a hopper. Come to think of it sealing driveways in august wasn't really very appealing either. </div></div>

Dude! time to make the donuts....
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y5XA7PVql2I"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y5XA7PVql2I" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I worked at LA Fitness as a "membership counselor" aka salesman/scammer. Coulnd't do it, quit after 3 days.

I did a job for one day, at a fruit/vegetable import place, their freezer went bad and half of their inventory spoiled. They wanted me to take pallets out of the freezer, unpackage them, sort through 50# bags of various vegetables, (the pumpkins were the worst as I remember) and toss out all the rotten vegetables and fruit, wash off the remaining pieces, and repackage the fruit back into 50# sacks and stack them on the pallets for 600lb totals, rewrap them and stuff em back in the freezer. I did about 8 pallets before I quit, got paid $20 for the whole day. Wanted to choke someone.

Makes my current job seem pleasant--even though it takes a week to get all the grease, dirt, and oil off of my hands. I service automotive equipment now, the nastiest job I've done in that line of work to date had to do with an in-ground hydraulic lift that has a trench in the floor which houses a rack & pinion assembly. The tubes which hold the racks ended up getting enough shit trapped in them to prevent the lift from getting down to the floor. The wash crews at night would hose the floors down and sweep everything into those trenches. After sitting there for 20 years, the water and emulsified oil mixture in the trench separated and the heat made all the water evaporate with the emulsified oil making a 2" cake layer at the top of the box. In order to do the repair I had to clean out the whole trench, and let me tell you, when I broke the seal that emulsified oil cake made, the air that rushed out was so vile I almost threw up like 3 times. Had to shovel out 20 years worth of dead lizards, rats, cigarette butts, rotten vegetative material, and that emulsified oil cake by hand before I could even start to address the problem. That one for me 'takes the cake'. One shop called me for a hydraulic leak, they typically pour cat litter over oil spills to absorb the mess; well these guys had the pile of litter on the floor for so long by the time I got there it was actually full of cat shit. Glad I'm not in the septic business though.

Boil Sucker and I couldn't afford a straw the first two weeks.

he worked for our "Take-Home Drippings" program

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a job for one day, at a fruit/vegetable import place, their freezer went bad and half of their inventory spoiled. They wanted me to take pallets out of the freezer, unpackage them, sort through 50# bags of various vegetables, (the pumpkins were the worst as I remember) and toss out all the rotten vegetables and fruit, wash off the remaining pieces, and repackage the fruit back into 50# sacks and stack them on the pallets for 600lb totals, rewrap them and stuff em back in the freezer. I did about 8 pallets before I quit, got paid $20 for the whole day. Wanted to choke someone.

Makes my current job seem pleasant--even though it takes a week to get all the grease, dirt, and oil off of my hands. I service automotive equipment now, the nastiest job I've done in that line of work to date had to do with an in-ground hydraulic lift that has a trench in the floor which houses a rack & pinion assembly. The tubes which hold the racks ended up getting enough shit trapped in them to prevent the lift from getting down to the floor. The wash crews at night would hose the floors down and sweep everything into those trenches. After sitting there for 20 years, the water and emulsified oil mixture in the trench separated and the heat made all the water evaporate with the emulsified oil making a 2" cake layer at the top of the box. In order to do the repair I had to clean out the whole trench, and let me tell you, when I broke the seal that emulsified oil cake made, the air that rushed out was so vile I almost threw up like 3 times. Had to shovel out 20 years worth of dead lizards, rats, cigarette butts, rotten vegetative material, and that emulsified oil cake by hand before I could even start to address the problem. That one for me 'takes the cake'. One shop called me for a hydraulic leak, they typically pour cat litter over oil spills to absorb the mess; well these guys had the pile of litter on the floor for so long by the time I got there it was actually full of cat shit. Glad I'm not in the septic business though.</div></div>
Those rack trenches are absolutly filthy. Had a guy put his hand into some of that muck to retrieve a ratchet and ended up with scabies up to his elbows.

I'm one of the dead body processors, but anyone who jambs their arm up someone's ass, all the way to their elbow, wins.

I am humble in your presence...

Not me but met a woman who worked for a deodorant company and her job was smelling underarms for a living!

Summer job my Uncle got me at a valve manufacturing plant. Beginning at 0600 each day, I started sweeping the metal lathe shavings from about each work station into the aisle. Once I made it around the whole plant, I jumped on a sweeper machine and collected the shavings. No real incentive to work faster, because by the time I completed a pass, I had a whole new pile waiting at each work station. Worst part was that they had a policy where you get paid next week for this week's work, which wasn't explained to me until the end of my first week. So, after two weeks work, I stood in the payroll line and was disgusted at the with-holdings of my first ever paycheck. I thought "What the hell is FICA and where is the rest of my money?" I never wanted a job that involved me toting a broom, ever again.

I worked for the University of Illinois as a research assistant for soybean genetics.....it was 75% of the worst job ever, 25% of the best job ever.

It was mind-numbingly boring. Part of the year, you would literally sort and count beans....one by one.....millions of beans.....one by one.

It was dangerous. The harvesting/planting equipment was archaic at best. No safety features, and enough bean dust and chaff to keep you coughing up shit for weeks.....regardless of using a mask or not

It was disgusting. Rotting soybean isn't very far from a decaying animal carcass in my book, and there was plenty to be had. Also, once a year, we would clean up the test plots along the highway. I found 2 vibrators, countless piss/chew spit bottles....and my favorite: a WalMart bag with feces in it.

Thankfully, for the summer months, all you did was drive around in a pickup for about 2 hours, and then go play cards for the other 6.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm one of the dead body processors, but anyone who jambs their arm up someone's ass, all the way to their elbow, wins.

I am humble in your presence...</div></div>
That gave me a nightmare last night. Eeeewwwwww

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used to process human cadavers for surgical implantation, at a tissue bank.

Yep, I used to cut up dead bodies for a living, all at a cool $9 per hour. </div></div>

My best job was when I would inject that stuff, human cadaver collagen or "Dermalogen", into women's lips for $450/syringe, back in 2001-2002. Good times.

Worst jobs: all the one's to get up to that point, including being bitten by rats I was about to guillotine, prepping sheep for LVAD surgery (central lines & intubation was fun, cleaning up sheep pellets was not), and all the rectal exams done on each patient admitted to internal medicine service - our chairman was big into screening for colon cancer by checking for occult blood the old fashion way, draining a perirectal abscess on the floor at the VA (patient was genuinely appreciative at least, the smell of the purulence that seeped through my lab coat didn't come off my skin until about 8 showers laters),treating Fournier's gangrene, treating genital warts the size of golf balls. Never had to do a manual disimpaction though.

WOW... And I thought I had it bad when I worked in construction, clearing brush in a Poison Ivy patch: mulch it with a chain saw and the liquid becomes a mist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used to process human cadavers for surgical implantation, at a tissue bank.

Yep, I used to cut up dead bodies for a living, all at a cool $9 per hour. </div></div>

My best job was when I would inject that stuff, human cadaver collagen or "Dermalogen", into women's lips for $450/syringe, back in 2001-2002. Good times.

Worst jobs: all the one's to get up to that point, including being bitten by rats I was about to guillotine, prepping sheep for LVAD surgery (central lines & intubation was fun, cleaning up sheep pellets was not), and all the rectal exams done on each patient admitted to internal medicine service - our chairman was big into screening for colon cancer by checking for occult blood the old fashion way, draining a perirectal abscess on the floor at the VA (patient was genuinely appreciative at least, the smell of the purulence that seeped through my lab coat didn't come off my skin until about 8 showers laters),treating Fournier's gangrene, treating genital warts the size of golf balls. Never had to do a manual disimpaction though.

</div></div>

Boltripper said you put his wart in a jar for him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used to process human cadavers for surgical implantation, at a tissue bank.

</div></div>
I guess roofing ain't so bad now.

Shit Farm Maintenance Worker

Worked for this non union pipe fitting out fit and we did facilities maint (read the crap jobs that their own maint. group wouldn't do). I was the only non felon and English speaking person on the crew.

Via that job I got to work in some real peachy places and do some wild and non OSHA approved shit. Lots of times it would be in a shut down situation - you worked until it is done - usually @ 48hrs straight - and yes, a lot of folks used meth. Not a good thing when everything you are working with is big, heavy and sometimes hot.

Well, probably the worst (as far as nasty) was changing out the bar screen at the waste water treatment facility. The bar screen is what sits at the interface of the city sewer line and the sanitation processing facility. It is a 30' tall rake that grabs everything that isn't liquid or soft and smelly in the sewer system, rakes against it a screen and puts it in a dumpster.

First day on that job - I got a face shield, a set of rubber gloves and box of trash bags (to wear over my clothes) a hi lift, and a pressure washer. I got the job of washing the entire apparatus from 20' above ground to subterranean where the main pipe comes in. Covered in blow back (shit) stepping on shit, condoms, tampons, diapers - every nasty thing you could imagine.

The job only got worse. Chlorine gas exposure, got into with the factory rep for the new bar screen, one of our guys took a piece of stainless in the arm from the old bar screen - obviously got infected - dam near lost his arm.

Then there was the time we were in a confined area changing out a 3 ton piece of machinery and the rigging super was off smokin crack every 20 minutes.....

Another - ever seen rebar being made? We got another gig at a re-heat steel plant, we were to tear down and replace one of their finger tables. Rebar is still running on a parallel line and no one says 'don't walk over there' - think of 100' sticks of red hot rebar flying down a chute at like 30 mph till it hits the finger table where it gets walked across by the fingers as it cools. OK so as I approach on the chute side something gets caught and a whole 100' stick of red hot flys off the first finger and comes crashing to the floor just in front of me as a tangled mess. I saw that happen a bunch of times over the next couple of weeks. Wild to see.

Another quick one - we had a run where every 3 or 4 months we'd have a shutdown gig at a pulp plant - the chain on their boiler feed would break. Imagine a conveyor system about the size of an average house to feed wood chips into a boiler - chain breaks and all of the paddles on the chain fall to the bottom. Each paddle weighs about 75#s so your first job is to go in and dig out all of the paddles (several hundred of them) and find the chain. Long story short, 40+ hours into the job it is time to button up the boiler, pack and load the gang boxes and go to bed. It is dark. One of the tweekers loads a gang box heavy on one side. I am on the forklift and pick it up off the cat walk 15' in the air, it tips and falls, hits an oxy bottle and snaps the head off it.... fortunately it was basically empty and did do THAT much damage.

I got a bunch of them... happy to be here now doing something else.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krav69

What really blew me away was how my arm just kept going up, slow but steady. Think if I would of had a longer arm I could have gotten a hold of her tonsils!!! Think I helped her though- she never came back for another inpaction.
Han </div></div>
This reminds me of when I was kid. Ma would send me off to work on farms to keep me out of trouble and it so happened one of the farmers was also an artificial inseminator. I'd go with him occasionally and I still have these images of his hand up the cows butt cleaning out 'nure and he'd have the semen dispenser thingamajig in his mouth. Like a pirate would have his knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vwhugger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mechanic for the US Postal Sevice.</div></div>
Out here when a opening comes for a postal worker they have 300 to 400 people lined up for the one opening. </div></div>

They had three openings when I applied. I don't know how many total people were vying for it but I came out on top and had the choice to work at the St Paul shop or the Mpls (NE) one. I chose the St Paul shop. I couldn't deal with the atmosphere and it was way too structured for me. I quit and went back to my old place. Much better money there but it was a pain in the ass too, in different ways. But they were good to me.
The boss at the post office was not too happy with me after all the BS you go thru to get hired.

I had a position as a laboratory assistant at an entomology lab while I was in college. The lab was conducting genetic experiments on mosquitos and it was my job to raise sucessive generations of the same mosquito colony. Part of the mosquito's life cycle includes feeding on mamalian blood. So it was part of my job to put a live mouse in a restraining device and place it inside the mosquito cage. After about fifteen minutes I would remove the mouse and take it back to the vivarium. I always felt bad for the mouse. One morning while I was hungover the mouse and the mosquitos got loose. I had to catch the mouse with my hands while being buzzed by the mosquitos.

On par with the mosquito job I had a job raising a rare breed of carnivorous Peruvian frog. I raised them from eggs all the way to adulthood. At adulthood they were about the size of a fist and ate goldfish. They were kept in clear plastic shoebox-type containers. Every two days I would have to grab them, put them in another container and clean out the original. These frogs crapped turds too. I would replace the frog in the clean container and drop two goldfish in. The fish would swim around in the circle with the frogs eyes following around while it remained perfectly still, then plop! The frog would snatch the fish and the other fish would swim around frantically.

Right after I got out of the Army on 1974, I took a job making pelletized dog food - kibble. 2.50 an hour with a .50 raise promised in 3 months. Spend the first half of the day duping 50 & 100 pound sacks into the pellet mill and the last half filling, closing and stacking 50 & 100 pound sacks of kibble. At the end of the day you'd have powdered dog food stuck to every inch of you...get home and head for the shower with my dogs chasing me. July was a killer. Said to hell with it and went back to work for DoD...

It would be between two different but related things.

Cutting and spearing tobacco. That was always done around Labor Day. Dear God that has to be some of the hottest, most humid work I've done. Even more than doing production welding on "Cherry Bomb" mufflers for 5 years.

Second was when I was a teenager, my Dad talked it up with one of our neighbors to teach me to plow & cultivate with mules. That was worse to me than hiring out to put up hay bales in the summer. I was proud we could afford a tractor for most of our work.

I was on the Anchorage Police Dept Bomb squad, we also did post blast investigations.

Somebody put a pipe bomb in a porta potty. I did the post blast.

i finished concrete for a few months, i also pressure washed houses, and did a/c work.

it's hot in Louisiana and humidity is alway like 80-110%. finishing concrete was the worst, worked a long time some times 15 hours a day with min wage pay, i got a cramp one day and my arm was stuck in an awkward position and i couldn't straighten it. small cuts that get concrete in this get concrete infections that hurt like a bitch. i liked pressure washing because it was my business and i worked when i wanted to, and it was hot but i got paid fairly. when working a/c i meet some of the best people i know to this day. i did these jobs when i was about 15-18 and it gave me the burning desire to get a good education and a good job.

now i sell high end sporting optics and love it :)

I did about every job you can think of in a parmesan cheese factory...it takes weeks to get the smell out of your skin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be between two different but related things.

Cutting and spearing tobacco. That was always done around Labor Day. Dear God that has to be some of the hottest, most humid work I've done. Even more than doing production welding on "Cherry Bomb" mufflers for 5 years.

Second was when I was a teenager, my Dad talked it up with one of our neighbors to teach me to plow & cultivate with mules. That was worse to me than hiring out to put up hay bales in the summer. I was proud we could afford a tractor for most of our work.</div></div>
I have to ask. What is spearing tobacco?

take your pick

bailed hay in 100 degree/100% humidity weather
castrated pigs all day long
waded in waist deep hog shit
detassled corn in 100 degree/100% humidity weather
worked in a miserably hot steel mill and almost dropped a 10K pound steel coil on myself when the chain broke

furnature mover.
sign fabricator.
roofer(load up, tear off, hot mop, shingles and tiler)and oilfield roustabout (pretty much everything.
just about any crap temp job you could think of some of the stuff the illegals turn their noses up too.
worst by far was night time railroad flaw detection. (although it was the best paying!)

So the list is pretty much read as least liked to worst.

railroad flaw detection- what is that exactly, at nighttime? Sounds fun..sort of ...when the switch didn't work & 220 tons of engine & 1/2 mile coal hoppers behind are now bearing down at you at 35 mph?....

im not saying there is nothing good about it but being away from my daughter as a single father for 7 months then another month then another month etc.. makes it the worst job for me the USMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be between two different but related things.

Second was when I was a teenager, my Dad talked it up with one of our neighbors to teach me to plow & cultivate with mules. That was worse to me than hiring out to put up hay bales in the summer. I was proud we could afford a tractor for most of our work.</div></div>
I have to ask. What is spearing tobacco? </div></div>

After the tobacco is cut with a light weight hatchet type "hack knife" it's put on wooden sticks so it can be hung in a barn to cure. You have to use a "spear" (actually looks a lot like a skinny metal funnel that closes to a sharp steel point that is kept VERY sharp) The removable spear tip goes over the sticks to facilitate piercing the stalk and pushing the stalk down. The number of stalks per stick vary. But we usually put 4 - 5 - or 6 stalks to the stick. It depends on how big the leaves are. Then they are propped up against another stick for several days in the field to get a good "wilt". Then the loaded sticks are taken to the barn to hang so the tobacco can cure.

We raised our own and also hired out to farmers that had a lot more tobacco than we did. The last time I hired out was in the mid 1970s. Going rate was $2 an hour and 2 meals per day. Lunch was usually a bologna & tomatoe sandwich. But supper was usually really good. If you worked all the way through the crop until it went to market you got a $100 bonus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be between two different but related things.

I have to ask. What is spearing tobacco? </div></div>

It immediately follows cutting. Pick up tobacco stick, jam in in the ground, and slide your spear (think funnel with no opening, just a point on the end) on to the end of the stick. Grab the tobacco stalk, cut it off as close to the ground as you can, pivot, and ram the stalk down on the spear and on to the stick. That's cutting and spearing. Also some of the hottest and most humid days I've spent in my life, next to summer camp in canvas tents.

With a few slight differences, that's pretty much the way we did it.

Circut board factory, Universal Circuts I think it was called in Mn. Worked the etching line, acid etched circut boards and electroless copper plating, had to work with sulfuric acid, concentrated sulfuric acid, cyanide, and hydrogen peroxide (the strong kind, it is like an acid as well). don't know how many acid burns I got, but alot, and the fumes...anyway, my jumping point to go to the university and get a degree, second best decision I ever made (USMC was the best decision I ever made).

Working for someone else, and/or someone who knew less about the job than I did.
wink.gif

The less you know about tobacco the better you are! Worked a few summers in Portland, TN and got paid more than most tobacco patch workers, but had a bunch of copperheads in the fields. Worst job I've ever had. If you were quiet you could "hear" and "feel" them out in the field.

Kelly

I would rather deal with snakes outside than put up with the crap that goes on inside a factory. Cutting tabacco is hard work, But cutting thru the B.S. of alot of jobs is worse. The hardest job you will ever have is one you sold too cheap because things are slow/your broke/and you know the minute your done the money is already gone and your still short.AND the customer is going to bitch just to get a discount after you agreed on a price because he knows your in a tight an need him happy so you can get your next job.
Scot

Oh I know about factory life.....I recently got laid off permanently from a place I worked at for over 7 years, and it was a killer job. I also worked at a factory that made laundry detergent that was really bad........not as clean as one would initially think!

Kelly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kbrady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The less you know about tobacco the better you are! Worked a few summers in Portland, TN and got paid more than most tobacco patch workers, but had a bunch of copperheads in the fields. Worst job I've ever had. If you were quiet you could "hear" and "feel" them out in the field.

Kelly</div></div>
I would not do so well with snakes. How many people did you know that were bitten?

At least a couple per summer......we wore some kind of waders that would protect us from just random bites, but when you stuck your paw down close to the ground, you were fair game. Small price to pay for 12 bucks an hour I guess lol.

Kelly

Hog Farm, it was a breeding and gestation barn. started off the morning feeding about 1300 sows, wasnt bad unless the mill went down and then I had to use a feed cart and scoop to feed each sow.... Normally the mill went down about 1 time a week. with 3 feedings a day that was suck-fest. tryimg to feed 1000 screaming pigs. administering shots to sows that dont want you to jab that big ass needle in their back... owwww many pinched arms and legs. one day i was breeding a sow and felt a warmness filling my boot.... SHIT!!! the damn thing pissed in my boot. hahaha The thing that really bothered me was having to neuter the baby pigs. used a wire snips and cut the nutsack, apply a firm grip and pop the nuts out and with a swift motion rip out... traumatizing

Swear that job desensitized me, but the pay was good and about a mile from my house.

Repairing pallets in Detroit with 4 retards that came in drunk and left drunk.. Also had to watch where you walked. One guy used to plug up one side of his nose and blow snot out the other side.