• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Worst Value Optic?

This is a great read, definitely tops off the scope articles on the SH. A wealth of knowledge. I learned much better different ways to insult people and avoid questions that would require me to know facts about a matter I am speaking about.

I have watched enough optics perform and fail to determine my current optic is such a good unit it must be pure luck it landed on me.

US optics. Just look at their resale value... that is if you can get anyone to buy it off you.
I remember when I got into PR years ago. USO was considered a damn good optic. Then again, there weren't too many "top tier" optics back then: NF, S&B, Henszoldt, etc...I don't know all of the company's dynamics. I just know that it seems they've gone full Wal-Mart after the one fellow, John LNU (IIRC?), sold the company.

To answer OP's question, some of you already know what I'm going to say: anything made by Vortex. I used to love them. I sold the shit out of Vortex when I worked a local gun counter back in 2012-2013. They were (and still are) providing feature-rich optics for good prices. I have not only had many negative experiences with their products, but I have observed many others having negative experiences also. I eventually adopted the phrase, "Vortex provides an unlimited lifetime warranty because you're going to need it," and I still use it up to this day.

Granted, I still tell people that they are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to the optics world. I also tell some that they are not the worst option for optics, particularly those who don't have 2500.00+ to drop on a scope, but I also give the the whole caveat emptor schpiel due to my experiences and observations.

Low end models of Barska, BSA, Simmons, and Tasco for me. A compact 4x BSA is one the worst scopes I have every seen. My daughter's toy binoculars have better optics...

I think someone's signature line on the forum is, "Friends don't let friends have Barskas."

It cracks me up every time I see it.

Low end models of Barska, BSA, Simmons, and Tasco for me. A compact 4x BSA is one the worst scopes I have every seen. My daughter's toy binoculars have better optics...

I think someone's signature line on the forum is, "Friends don't let friends have Barskas."

It cracks me up every time I see it.
When discussing worst or low tier optics I don’t even start considering them until after those options. Those barely qualify as scopes. Cheap with zero reliability

Yeah, lifetime warranty regardless of original buyer or next owner. No questions asked. How horrible are they? Evidently so horrible that Arken and a few others are also offering that warranty. And have also had warranty claims against them, as well.

And I bet there have been warranty claims against every brand mentioned in here. Maybe not by the guys here but elsewhere. Or, the people that had warranty problems got it taken care of quietly.

Most every car has a recall at some point in it's life. Yet, we are still buying those vehicles.

So, I think the next challenge should be to present a warranty claim that Vortex or anyone else did not honor or do something about, especially complete replacement of the unit.

Yes, I like Vortex but I am also looking for a balanced judgement, which may be asking too much.
Although technically off-topic, I think you make an excellent point &, I think this subject should be included in the discussion.
I've long thought that the vaunted Vortex warranty was basically Vortex's way of offsetting QC balance within the pricing structure, with the addition of their "no-fault" warranty to boost sales. Although the "No-Fault" component isn't something which could be reasonably expected of any manufacturer as a matter ofcourse, it does have me wondering why Vortex, with their arguably sub-par build quality & design when compared to S&B, TT, ZCO still seem to turn a good profit with what I can only assume would be far higher warranty claims than other manufacturers.
For the moment, I've decided to concentrate on low light optics because I do most of my shooting in the wee hrs under spotlight &, in my opinion, that's where the rubber hits the road when considering glass quality.
For my long range day scope, I've got a 5-25x56 Struck Eagle which is very adequate for daytime target shooting. I can tell when looking through it that the IQ could be much better but, when I consider weather or not I need better to see the targets at 700 meters, I come to the conclusion that for my purposes, I really don't need better optical clarity. Although I do intend to replace the Struck Eagle with something better in the future, the chances that the replacement will be another Vortex are pretty darn high simply due to the Vortex "No Fault" warranty.
When it comes to the top tier scopes & the eternal question of weather or not they are value for money, I have to say that if I were going to drop 3 or 4K into a scope, the Gen II or Gen III Razors would certainly top the list. That "No Fault" warranty is worth a little optical clarity when that kind of money is at stake. To me, that trade-off is a no-brainer.

Although technically off-topic, I think you make an excellent point &, I think this subject should be included in the discussion.
I've long thought that the vaunted Vortex warranty was basically Vortex's way of offsetting QC balance within the pricing structure, with the addition of their "no-fault" warranty to boost sales. Although the "No-Fault" component isn't something which could be reasonably expected of any manufacturer as a matter ofcourse, it does have me wondering why Vortex, with their arguably sub-par build quality & design when compared to S&B, TT, ZCO still seem to turn a good profit with what I can only assume would be far higher warranty claims than other manufacturers.
For the moment, I've decided to concentrate on low light optics because I do most of my shooting in the wee hrs under spotlight &, in my opinion, that's where the rubber hits the road when considering glass quality.
For my long range day scope, I've got a 5-25x56 Struck Eagle which is very adequate for daytime target shooting. I can tell when looking through it that the IQ could be much better but, when I consider weather or not I need better to see the targets at 700 meters, I come to the conclusion that for my purposes, I really don't need better optical clarity. Although I do intend to replace the Struck Eagle with something better in the future, the chances that the replacement will be another Vortex are pretty darn high simply due to the Vortex "No Fault" warranty.
When it comes to the top tier scopes & the eternal question of weather or not they are value for money, I have to say that if I were going to drop 3 or 4K into a scope, the Gen II or Gen III Razors would certainly top the list. That "No Fault" warranty is worth a little optical clarity when that kind of money is at stake. To me, that trade-off is a no-brainer.
True and much of what we are seeing is anecdotal. I don't know if there is a way to get records from each brand. There will always be defectives. If you, as a company, did not ship out today a defective unit, that is because the doors were locked and you took the day off.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I worked for a company modifying, repairing, and tuning communications equipment. If you have ever been to Bed, Bath, and Beyond or the Gap, you will see employees with those little walkie-talkies clipped to their belts. We used to process 500 unit orders. Motorola SP-10 and SP-11, around the 154 MHz range. Motorola claimed, with well-earned pride, a failure rate that was only 3 percent worldwide. And that was Motorola's own published stats.

Arken scopes have been known to leak. Backfire bought a bunch of scopes and threw them all in his pool. And the Arken leaked. I am sure Arken would replace it and probably fix the problem. But I have not seen the criticism for these other brands as strong as I have seen that for Vortex. I am sure Vortex has had defective units. They also sell a lot. Back to the Motorola stat. You could simply claim how many units were defective. It is more accurate to compare to total produced and shipped.

I am certainly not against spending more money on a more solid product. I am a firm believer in buy for glass first, features second. If you can increase the budget, increase it for the glass that you need.

Great point. I dropped my Cronus the other day and I immediately relaxed bc WORST case senario I could replace it no questions asked. Thankfully nothing happened.
If I am going to spend $3K+ on an optic it is nice knowing at ANY point I can get a brand new one. In fact, I am surprised that more people do not intentionally break them and get a replacement before selling them. That warranty is begging to be taken advantage of. Thankfully most people are honest.

Great point. I dropped my Cronus the other day and I immediately relaxed bc WORST case senario I could replace it no questions asked. Thankfully nothing happened.
If I am going to spend $3K+ on an optic it is nice knowing at ANY point I can get a brand new one. In fact, I am surprised that more people do not intentionally break them and get a replacement before selling them. That warranty is begging to be taken advantage of. Thankfully most people are honest.
One of the anecdotal stories about I heard about Vortex was in a different place than this forum. Some guy had a Strike Eagle that had a problem with the reticle. Evidently, the guy just liked to complained and hunted all season with it and then turned it in for full replacement. He could have done that ahead of the season. Their warranty response is lickety-split. So, to repeat, the scope was so bad that he hunted with it and then got a replacement.
Wait - what?

One of the anecdotal stories about I heard about Vortex was in a different place than this forum. Some guy had a Strike Eagle that had a problem with the reticle. Evidently, the guy just liked to complained and hunted all season with it and then turned it in for full replacement. He could have done that ahead of the season. Their warranty response is lickety-split. So, to repeat, the scope was so bad that he hunted with it and then got a replacement.
Wait - what?
just because something is still useable doesn't mean it's not effed up.
I had a scope that had spots in it but you could only see them powered almost all the way out. Wasn't really a problem because I never did that but still not proper

just because something is still useable doesn't mean it's not effed up.
I had a scope that had spots in it but you could only see them powered almost all the way out. Wasn't really a problem because I never did that but still not proper
Re-read my post. I did not say the scope was not defective. What I am saying is that he should have had it replaced sooner. But no, he needed the drama so that he could bitch about the product.

Yep this definitely an entertaining thread :p

Good value - poor value, of scopes I've bought or been behind for the last 5-10 years.

I bought a cheap AR upper that I only wanted to shoot offhand inside 200Y on bigger steel so I went to Big5 and bought a cheap mini 3-9 riflescope that came with a RD mounted on it for this AR. It's easier to say there was nothing good about the scope except size and weight. The worst value ever for me "although" I got all my money back because I returned it broken. If it had worked I would have kept it. OK I'm not buying the "super cheap" stuff anymore.

Best value was a Athlon Talos 4-16x40 that I paid $110 for. Darn thing just worked for the 4 years that I had it on a varmint rifle.

TT glass was fantastic and it felt very high quality. Just didn't like the 75Y parallax and its expensive.

I too wasn't impressed with a friends ZCO. Turrets not great and glass wasn't great either. Maybe a step up than Cronus glass. Bad apple, I don't know??
Glass wise neither was I loving his NF 7-35.
Other than a few more features in those mentioned scopes I don't find the Cronus G2 much different except I like the Cronus turrets and mil reticle more. They were on sale for $1000 at a few places recently.

Best glass I've seen in a rifle scope is a Swarovski X5i, in that regard and for what you can buy it for used it's quite a value for a SFP scope. It's a tad nicer in IQ than my March Genesis HM 4-40x52. I ended up super impressed with this March!

Kept one S&B PM2 5-25. Very good in most ways but that March, TT, and Swaro have superior glass.

I didn't find my March 5-42 a great value. Everything else about it was awesome except when above around 35x. At 42x it got dim and slightly blurry. I bought it to use at 42x a lot but for my older eyes it didn't work well.

I recently got a new Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22 because of its light weight of 21.7oz. It took 3 months to arrive. Man I'm disappointed. The elevation turret of a $400 scope and the windage turret of a $150 scope. Glass like a $600 scope. So far its the worst value for the price I've bought that I can remember. I took it out of the box and fiddled with it and it went back in.
Do you think if I complained to Vortex that they'd take it back and get me into a R3 6-36 for more money somehow??? I've read great things about the G3. G3 is heavy so I'd put it on another gun besides the one I was going to put the LHT on.

Maybe try a March 4.5-28 or 3-24x52 for a light weight scope.

IMHO currently the best value for a sub $1000 scope that I've tried is Athlon's Helos G2.
BTW as of two years ago, and for reasons unknown, the Ares BTR 4.5-27 glass doesn't work well for me??? Don't know why. Cronus yes, ETR yes, Helos G2 yes. Argos G2 is getting a tad less in IQ than what I want to deal with anymore.

I sure wish I could try out every scope mentioned in this thread just to see what's up!

Last edited:
IMHO currently the best value for a sub $1000 scope that I've tried is Athlon's Helos G2.
BTW as of two years ago for, and for reasons unknown, the Ares BTR 4.5-27 glass doesn't work well for me??? Don't know why. Cronus yes, ETR yes, Helos G2 yes. Argos G2 is getting a tad less in IQ than what I want to deal with anymore.

I sure wish I could try out every scope mentioned in this thread just to see what's up!
OK I thought maybe I was crazy but I had a very similar experience. I had the Midas Tac and was going to upgrade to the Ares but I thought it was a step down in glass (from the Midas) and I was expecting better. I thought maybe it was me or possibly a bad scope....so I went w the Cronus and glad I did.

BTW lots of great info in your reply, thanks. I didnt realize a TT had a 75 yd parallax, is there a reason they do that? I honestly don't know enough optics to understand why some companies can get down a 10yr parallax and others are 25, 50....or 75 :oops: If someone can explain that Id appreciate it.

Reactions: Ronws and steve123
OK I thought maybe I was crazy but I had a very similar experience. I had the Midas Tac and was going to upgrade to the Ares but I thought it was a step down in glass (from the Midas) and I was expecting better. I thought maybe it was me or possibly a bad scope....so I went w the Cronus and glad I did.

BTW lots of great info in your reply, thanks. I didnt realize a TT had a 75 yd parallax, is there a reason they do that? I honestly don't know enough optics to understand why some companies can get down a 10yr parallax and others are 25, 50....or 75 :oops: If someone can explain that Id appreciate it.

I think/?? the 75Y min parallax helps make for a more deep DOF. For long range the scope would still be in decent focus from 200Y?? on out so for PRS that would help some because one wouldn't have to focus as much, or at all, depending on the stage layout. But there are probably other benefits. Ilya and others would know much more.

I stopped buying 50Y min focus scopes about 13 years ago because I like to switch scopes around and that could mean onto airguns or 22rf's. This is part of the reason I bought my S&B 5-25's because they have max magnification 10M min focus. As well as March scopes with 10Y min focus. These are very versatile scopes.

For less powerful airguns max magnification 10Y min focus is more beneficial but for certain types of matches and the more powerful airguns used farther out 25Y min focus is fine most of the time.

Reactions: Ronws and lash
I think/?? the 75Y min parallax helps make for a more deep DOF. For long range the scope would still be in decent focus from 200Y?? on out so for PRS that would help some because one wouldn't have to focus as much, or at all, depending on the stage layout. But there are probably other benefits. Ilya and others would know much more.

I stopped buying 50Y min focus scopes about 13 years ago because I like to switch scopes around and that could mean onto airguns or 22rf's. This is part of the reason I bought my S&B 5-25's because they have max magnification 10M min focus. As well as March scopes with 10Y min focus. These are very versatile scopes.

For less powerful airguns max magnification 10Y min focus is more beneficial but for certain types of matches and the more powerful airguns used farther out 25Y min focus is fine most of the time.
I'm glad that the current gen of scopes being built tend to have lower parallax. I have an ATACR 7-35 specifically for my rimfire. If the USO FDN had an 11yds parallax like the ATACR, I'd sell the ATACR and get another FDN.

I'd love it if Ilya chimed in and talked about the 75yds parallax and what's being optimized by keeping the min parallax so high. ZCO and the Razor III are reputed to have good depth of field despite having much, much lower parallax settings than a tangent.

OK that makes sense- I have heard PRS shooters say the TT is parallax free beyond like 200 yards or so, so that would make sense, but yes 75yds would be awful for .22 and air rifle.

I also have an air rifle as well, so 10 yds would make things easier and if I get another scope it likely have a 10yd parallax but to be very honest I have never shot anything inside 25 yards but I think it is good for dry firing indoors
I'd love it if Ilya chimed in and talked about the 75yds parallax and what's being optimized by keeping the min parallax so high. ZCO and the Razor III are reputed to have good depth of field despite having much, much lower parallax settings than a tangent.
Good point. that was what I was getting at too. If some companies can seem to pull if off, how come TT can't as well? I am sure there is a reason that goes way beyond my understanding of building rifle scopes. Ilya???? lol

Reactions: steve123
Gotta say, the athlon warranty means much to me.
For regular and range shooting the march 4.5-28 would be the dream but when you do a lot of moving, climbing and stupid shit, the warranty is a huge portion of the deal.

Speaking of warranty...
Recently I bought a 12 year old pcp air rifle in excellent shape but it also came with a 12 year old Hawke scope on it. Sold the rifle to one guy then had the scope set aside for another guy. That guy wanted me to inspect the scope thoroughly before he sent the funds. I did so and found out the illume cap was stripped and glued on so once disclosed the deal fell through. I then looked into this companies warranty which is for 10 years and only to the original purchaser. So instead of the scope being worth about $175 or so its not worth trying to sell.

It went into the bone pile of old scopes. :confused:

Last edited:
Did you contact them ?

I emailed Hawke but didn't get a reply back. I even explained that the previous owner was on his last legs and that I wasn't going to bother him about this problem. I'll just take the loss and go on.

But if anyone here is an insider that can help out I won't refuse.

I emailed Hawke but didn't get a reply back. I even explained that the previous owner was on his last legs and that I wasn't going to bother him about this problem. I'll just take the loss and go on.

Doug at Cameraland is a Hawke dealer and may be able to help you get your scope replaced under warranty. I had always thought Hawke had a lifetime warranty no questions asked no receipt needed.

If something changed , I really need to quit recommending their Frontiers especially when they go on sale.

Regarding your other comment about how dissatisfied you are about your Vortex Razor LHT, you'll still end up paying a $2000 MSRP price difference to upgrade to a G3 Razor when you can buy them on sale for $2000 or less without having to trade in your LHT. I'd just sell it outright if I were you since there's many potential buyers out there who "think" the LHT is a good scope whom aren't already used to good glass or probably never owned any better quality scopes.

Even your Vector Continental 34mm I'd sell it and buy a better quality scope. It's almost as bad as the Bushnell Match Pro ED.

The Meopta Optika 6 FFP illuminated RD MRAD is currently on sale for $699.99 with free shipping at EuroOptic for their DEMOs AND brand new ones. I'd rate it slightly better quality than the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 and around Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 level. The cheaper priced Athlon ETR 56mm sunshade actually works with the Meopta Optika 6.

Reactions: steve123 and lash
What optic (for you) is just NOT worth the money?

For me it is the Kahles. I am left handed and I really would prefer the parallax on the elevation turret but for $3,500+ I just can not reationalize that purchase.

I am running the Cronus BTR Gen2 4.5-29 I can't see spending more than double the price of that scope for the roughly the same glass (granted the Cronus punches way above it's price) and a few other small features like a rev indicator.

Anyway I am just curious what is the optic you think does not warrant the price tag?!?
Several worst value optics IMHO are the MTC Optics Viper 5-30x50 for close to $700 and Bushnell Match Pro ED 5-30x56 at close to $700 and Bushnell Forge 4.5-27x50 and 3-18x50 at close to $1000 and close to $900 for the 3-18x50. The Element Helix and Titan for $460 and $799 are also worst values way below average quality for the prices charged. They are all made in China and even Athlon Midas HD is better and cheaper and are also made in China.

Japan made JOL made Brownells MPOs even on sale are also worst value optics (any JOL regular priced scopes worst value questionable quality and iffy reliability), ALL Ritons Japan JOL made and the Chinese made scopes are worst value poor quality optics even when they're on sale, Element Optics Nexus 5-20x50 worst value for $1499.99 price charged. Tract Toric 4-20x50 too for $1294.00 unfortunately based on the TWO I owned while other Tract Optics scopes have far better VALUE. Arkens ALL of them when they were selling for a lot more $$$ 2 years ago. Based on recent sale prices you'll agree they were all a bad value. Hawke Frontiers and their Sidewinder 30s are extremely bad values at their regular selling prices.

There's a lot more since I personally have purchased and gone through comparing a lot of different brands and models of scopes over the past decades and most were returned for refund for plain terrible quality compared to what I already have and only kept most of the best ones I felt that were actually worth keeping for the prices paid. Also last S&B I returned for refund.

Warranty denials and extremely poor customer service and or the lack thereof also plays a key role in brand terribleness making them extremely poor value scopes that end up as paperweights or boat anchors.

Last edited:
Doug at Cameraland is a Hawke dealer and may be able to help you get your scope replaced under warranty. I had always thought Hawke had a lifetime warranty no questions asked no receipt needed.

If something changed , I really need to quit recommending their Frontiers especially when they go on sale.

Regarding your other comment about how dissatisfied you are about your Vortex Razor LHT, you'll still end up paying a $2000 MSRP price difference to upgrade to a G3 Razor when you can buy them on sale for $2000 or less without having to trade in your LHT. I'd just sell it outright if I were you since there's many potential buyers out there who "think" the LHT is a good scope whom aren't already used to good glass or probably never owned any better quality scopes.

Even your Vector Continental 34mm I'd sell it and buy a better quality scope. It's almost as bad as the Bushnell Match Pro ED.

The Meopta Optika 6 FFP illuminated RD MRAD is currently on sale for $699.99 with free shipping at EuroOptic for their DEMOs AND brand new ones. I'd rate it slightly better quality than the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 and around Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 level. The cheaper priced Athlon ETR 56mm sunshade actually works with the Meopta Optika 6.
Thanks for your advice.

I'm just going to wait for the opportunity to give the old beater Hawke scope to a kid or a new FT air rifle shooter. They'll survive without the illume working and getting something free I'd hope would be a nice thing to do and be appeciated.

Turned out that Vector Continental 5-30x56 was the reason I was getting the flyers in the FT matches. It's only once or twice in 100 or so shots but I lost quite a few matches because of these flyers over the last year. I thought the problem was a bad batch of JSB pellets but when I put the Athlon Ares ETR 15-60x56 on my FT rifle the flyers ceased so it must have been the VC.

Nope not going to pay the extra $2000 for a G3. If after a while I get disgusted with the LHT I'll just sell it at a loss and research better next time before I purchase a scope. I mounted it on my Thomas HPX slug gun and used it once. Not great for sure but I need that rifle to be as light as possible anyway so.....

Hmm, I'd like to try a Meopta which I haven't done yet.

Would anybody happen to have a discount code for EuroOptic?

Last edited:
Reactions: Scopeye

Please give me a call and it's my pleasure to assist you
516-217-1000
Doug

Thanks for your advice.

I'm just going to wait for the opportunity to give the old beater Hawke scope to a kid or a new FT air rifle shooter. They'll survive without the illume working and getting something free I'd hope would be a nice thing to do and be appeciated.

Turned out that Vector Continental 5-30x56 was the reason I was getting the flyers in the FT matches. It's only once or twice in 100 or so shots but I lost quite a few matches because of these flyers over the last year. I thought the problem was a bad batch of JSB pellets but when I put the Athlon Ares ETR 15-60x56 on my FT rifle the flyers ceased so it must have been the VC.

Nope not going to pay the extra $2000 for a G3. If after a while I get disgusted with the LHT I'll just sell it at a loss and research better next time before I purchase a scope. I mounted it on my Thomas HPX slug gun and used it once. Not great for sure but I need that rifle to be as light as possible anyway so.....

Wow....so which optics DID you like? Consider the best value

I'll definitely poke the bear a little bit, but with a caveat.
The best scope I've ever used was my TT 5-25....but I had a very very very hard time with the value. I sold 3 Gen1 Bushnell XRS's to get it.
At the time I bought it...new off the shelf...it was $4400.

I've bought virtually every other optic in my line up for a drastically reduced price, or even pre-owned to maximize value and minimize loss on resale.
Bought my last Gen3 Razor for LESS than $1900 NEW shipped, and tax paid. Yes, I think the TT is better...but there's no F-ing way that a TT is worth 2.3x a Gen3 Razor TO ME. Now the new TT are easily $5000+
Bought a Mk5 7-35 for around 2000 new.
Bought a Gen3 Bushnell XRS for 1200 new
Bought a pre-owned 5-42 HighMaster for like 2600.
Traded for a 6-36 Ziess for around 1900.
Not to say that any of them are better than TT, but IMO, all of them are a better VALUE (except maybe the XRS3...man they just can't get that one right)

I like to swap things around, and I like to test new stuff a lot...but forking over 4400 for that TT is one that I still can't justify.
NOW they bring out the Gen3 XR-FINE reticle and the system is another $1000 just to have the ONLY CHANGE be the center floating dot.
That's just dumb as shit....and I REALLY REALLY want a 7-35 in FDE, but I've learned my lesson.
I'll wait for a used one.

829h5z.jpg

Wow....so which optics DID you like? Consider the best value

The cheapy scope was that Talos 4-16x40 SFP in mil with .1 clicks for the $110 I paid.

Purely for the money, quality, and feature set, it'd be the Helos G2 6-24x56.

I also like my Cronus G2 4.5-29x56's because its a lot a scope on sale for $1000-ish. It's more on the basic side and I'm assuming the glass isn't up to the likes of the Zeiss, Leica, or G3 Vortex, but I did find it equal with a friends NF 7-35 which sure astonished me at the time. These Cronus turrets are my favorite as far as feel and that's compared to the March, S&B, and whatever else I've had. Nope they aren't locking nor have a 2nd-3rd rev indicator but they are stiff enough I'm not sure it matters??? In a year or so I'll probably sell one of them and upgrade but I'm not worried about it right now.

I haven't tried many of the other scopes some guys here have so that's where I'm at.
What I've been thinking about most is that Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56. I went and looked after scopeye mentioned the sale but the demo was $799 when I put it in the cart. A hundred less and I would have ordered it. That's why I asked for a code at EuroOptics.

Y
Thanks for your advice.

Both brand new and DEMO #653608 Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 RD MRADs are $699.99 at EuroOptic. Just add to your cart to get them for $699.99 and no code or coupon needed. I even tried again right now as I write this reply still $699.99 just added to cart.

I'll definitely poke the bear a little bit, but with a caveat.
The best scope I've ever used was my TT 5-25....but I had a very very very hard time with the value. I sold 3 Gen1 Bushnell XRS's to get it.
At the time I bought it...new off the shelf...it was $4400.

I've bought virtually every other optic in my line up for a drastically reduced price, or even pre-owned to maximize value and minimize loss on resale.
Bought my last Gen3 Razor for LESS than $1900 NEW shipped, and tax paid. Yes, I think the TT is better...but there's no F-ing way that a TT is worth 2.3x a Gen3 Razor TO ME. Now the new TT are easily $5000+
Bought a Mk5 7-35 for around 2000 new.
Bought a Gen3 Bushnell XRS for 1200 new
Bought a pre-owned 5-42 HighMaster for like 2600.
Traded for a 6-36 Ziess for around 1900.
Not to say that any of them are better than TT, but IMO, all of them are a better VALUE (except maybe the XRS3...man they just can't get that one right)

I like to swap things around, and I like to test new stuff a lot...but forking over 4400 for that TT is one that I still can't justify.
NOW they bring out the Gen3 XR-FINE reticle and the system is another $1000 just to have the ONLY CHANGE be the center floating dot.
That's just dumb as shit....and I REALLY REALLY want a 7-35 in FDE, but I've learned my lesson.
I'll wait for a used one.
Good stuff. I have heard pretty much the same thing that the Gen 3 is basically unbeatable considering the discount price and the warranty. I don't love the color but who cares its a great value. It is 100% next on my list. I currently run the Cronus 4.5-9 and I really like it. I think the Gen 3 is unuestionabley worth $400-$500 more.

I have never looked thru a TT or a Zco. The best scope I have used is the Zeiss S5. It is hard for me to justify $3500+ for an optic if I am not a competitor. If I competed sure but as a recreational shooter its a lil bonkers.

Thanks for your opinions

Reactions: Tanger
The cheapy scope was that Talos 4-16x40 SFP in mil with .1 clicks for the $110 I paid.

I also like my Cronus G2 4.5-29x56's because its a lot a scope on sale for $1000-ish. It's more on the basic side and I'm assuming the glass isn't up to the likes of the Zeiss, Leica, or G3 Vortex, but I did find it equal with a friends NF 7-35 which sure astonished me at the time. These Cronus turrets are my favorite as far as feel and that's compared to the March, S&B, and whatever else I've had. Nope they aren't locking nor have a 2nd-3rd rev indicator but they are stiff enough I'm not sure it matters??? In a year or so I'll probably sell one of them and upgrade but I'm not worried about it right now.

I haven't tried many of the other scopes some guys here have so that's where I'm at.
What I've been thinking about most is that Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56. I went and looked after scopeye mentioned the sale but the demo was $799 when I put it in the cart. A hundred less and I would have ordered it. That's why I asked for a code at EuroOptics.
Another scope worth a try is the Viridian Xactus 5-30x56 for under $600 probably closer to $500 with recent Optics Planet discount code promo which might still be 14% off if their code they advertise on their own website still works but if it's expired, then sign up for 10% off code via email or text notifications. It's the same Chinese made scope as your Vector Continental 34mm with a nicer reticle that their photo description is incorrect. I think it has slightly better glass than the Vector Continental 34mm brand version too. It's also clearer than the Bushnell Match Pro ED and turrets look the same even with the pop up rev indicator but the Viridian Xactus feels better.

Optics Planet has free shipping and a returns within 30 days policy as well.

The lowest price I've seen this Viridian Xactus 5-40x56 on sale was around $459 earlier this year when they were originally selling them for $540 and with their 15% discount code they had during that sale.

When you buy one just to try risk free, you'll definitely think you got ripped off buying the Vector Continental 34mm version if you actually paid $899 for it. The cheapest I've seen the Vector Continental 34mm 5-30x56 on sale was $450 at DVOR around two years ago. I really think people are totally nuts if they're actually buying them for $899. They're still Chinese made and probably cost only around $100 give or take to manufacture in China.

I've read you prefer close focus scopes and the Viridian Xactus has a 10 yard focus same as your Continental and you'll probably like the reticle better on the Xactus. It looks like the Arken style illuminated reticle.

Buy one just to try out and and let us know how it compares to your Vector Continental before you send it in for warranty. I think it's the ocular that's throwing your shots around. I noticed the Bushnell Match Pro ED ocular felt looser than normal when I tested one of them out not that long ago which seems to share very similar DNA to the Viridian Xactus and Vector Continental but the Bushnell is noticeably heavier and it's close focus is 15 yards instead. If Vector Optics somehow screw you over on their lifetime warranty then set the ocular and use couple layers of good quality shrink tubing to keep that ocular tight.

The Viridian Xactus have a lifetime warranty including their electronics/ illuminated reticle.

Thanks for your advice.

Screenshot_20231011-163705.jpg

Scopelist also has both brand new and DEMO models of the #653608 Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 FFP Illuminated RD MRAD for $699.99 with free shipping. Buy from whichever place that will come out cheaper shipped to your door including tax or if they eat your tax or whichever the place you prefer to buy it from.

Reactions: steve123
IMG_20231011_174107.jpg
Screenshot_20231011-163705.jpg
IMG_20231011_175532.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20231011_174218.jpg
    IMG_20231011_174218.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Scopelist also has both brand new and DEMO models of the #653608 Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 FFP Illuminated RD MRAD for $699.99 with free shipping. Buy from whichever place that will come out cheaper shipped to your door including tax or if they eat your tax or whichever the place you prefer to buy it from.
they're the same company

insert 'pam corporate meme'

Reactions: Scopeye and R_A_W
Trijicon MRO: an optic built to provide morons who haven’t figured out how to shoot with both eyes open with a red dot that’s $100 cheaper than an EOTech and not a Holosun (who cares if they cannot be used/shot correctly without inducing a headache).

It’s been trash since 2015 when it came out… and it’s still selling well lol.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: R_A_W and lash
Vortex. Everyone thinks they are getting a great deal at 20-30% off MSRP. That's what they usually sell for new if you know who to talk to. That new 6-36 Gen 3 can be had for around 2k BNIB.
So who do you have to know?
I’ve purchased 2 used and 1 new SE5-25 and am a fan, would love to add a few more.

Trijicon MRO: an optic built to provide morons who haven’t figured out how to shoot with both eyes open with a red dot that’s $100 cheaper than an EOTech and not a Holosun (who cares if they cannot be used/shot correctly without inducing a headache).

It’s been trash since 2015 when it came out… and it’s still selling well lol.
You forgot about the the fact that it also allowed them to bring out an "HD" model for $300 more that fixed the optical problems it never should have had to start with :)

• Haha
Reactions: lash and CK1.0
Or Simmons
I still have a couple of old Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20x44 AO and Whitetail classic 6.5-20x50 AO scopes that were made in the Philippines and they're actually really great scopes especially for the $99 and $89 I paid more than a decade ago. Their glass are phenomenal even by today's standards and seem to be built way more robust compared to their modern Chinese replacements.

The newer Chinese made Simmons 44 Mag side focus I bought is not so great and is definitely below average compared to the older Philippines made ones and is night and day lower quality and only thing going for the Chinese ones are they're lighter weight and have side focus parallax and are cheap.

I sure hope I never need to have to use their lifetime warranty especially since Bushnell now handles them (Simmons and Tasco) and you already know how they really like to deny their customers whenever it comes to actually honoring their written warranty and make any kind of excuses not to repair or replace them under warranty and they just really seem to like to mail the defective broken items right back to the customers. It is so unfortunate since the discontinued Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 AO Mildot is such an utterly fantastic Philippines made scope along with their older Japan made Bushnell Elites and Tacticals.

Am I too late to mention the "super ninja extreme" or whatever the POS was that was in every gun magazine 10 or 15 years ago. Crazy price, no features.

For me, S&B at the top end, but also Swarovski when you consider what they want to charge for a duplex reticle. It would take them VERY little work to create a duplex-like reticle with infinitely more utility.

The scope I've been the most unhappy with is a Burris XTR II which never worked right, despite a trip back to Burris. Zero wandered all over, and they told me I had somehow loosened everything up on the inside... Sure.