• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Worth it to switch from 1-6.5 to 2.5-10 on 14.5 AR?

SamsonSimpson

LTTM
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2020
Been contemplating switching over to a 2.5-10 or similar mag range for my Geissele 14.5. I currently have a Bushy elite tactical 1-6.5 with BDC.

I’m shooting 75g-77g 5.56 90% of the time. I’m zeroed for this round, but my bdc is for 62g.

I’d need to add an offset red dot for sub 100 yard shots.

In y’all’s opinion is it worth the additional monies to get into a higher mag range with an offset red dot for a do it all type rig? Or should I just keep the lpvo?

scope and reticle suggestions are appreciated

Last edited:
How far are you normally shooting and what are you trying to accomplish? My response would probably be different if you spend 90% of your time inside 100 yds than if you spend 90% of your time over 300 yds. Are you shooting for groups or just trying to ring steel?

Another way to look at it is how are you using it right now? Are you normally at max power and wishing you had more or do you spend the majority of your time at 1x?

For me personally, form follows purpose.

Reactions: SamsonSimpson
How far are you normally shooting and what are you trying to accomplish? My response would probably be different if you spend 90% of your time inside 100 yds than if you spend 90% of your time over 300 yds. Are you shooting for groups or just trying to ring steel?

Another way to look at it is how are you using it right now? Are you normally at max power and wishing you had more or do you spend the majority of your time at 1x?

For me personally, form follows purpose.

absolutely agree. Should have elaborated.

It’s my go to gun for self defense (I’m rural) so it stays on 1x but zeroed at max mag. I plan on shooting Missouri MOST steel challenge and some gas gun shoots with it next year and feel like 6.5 mag won’t work at the longer ranges. Also getting dopes and dialing seems to be where it’s at in those shoots.

But again this is not a dedicated Comp gun. I just don’t have that kind of budget.

My local range is 800 and I like to shoot out to 500 there (steel). I also shoot a lot inside 100 too, so that’s why I was thinking offset red dot.

Reactions: FishinGuns
Are you having trouble making hits with your current BDC? I was looking at a reticle designed for 62gr and compared the holds to 75/77gr holds and they really were almost the same (within 0.2 MIL). At that point, favor the bottom or top of the target and you're GTG. The 6.5x may be limiting on varmints at 500 yds but doesn't sound like it's an issue for steel. Maybe consider a 1-8 or even 1-10 LPVO? Not sure what the budget is for you but I think most would agree that a quality 1-6 is much more usable than a fuzzy 1-8.

2-10x is nice for shooting, but if HD is one of your objectives then there is no way I would drop the 1x scope. Offset Red dots work to a certain way but it just makes things more complicated. Your rifle will get heavier as well.

I’m building a 14.5” Recce / Suburban DMR type build. Right now leaning toward a 2.5-10 Trij Credo and an offset H1, all in a Badger Condition One mount. I happen to like a pin & weld’s handiness suppressed and 10x max mag is quite sufficient to 500 in this role. Sight in the Aimpoint for CQB and practice running it primary, canted so it’s second nature.

That’s my plan at least. And 75-77gr 5.56, as well. I’m leaning toward a Criterion CL hybrid profile, maybe CORE, but likely hybrid profile. Point being a better than average accuracy CL barrel, like yours, for longevity sake.

I have a Vortex 1-6 on a SBR. Have it zeroed at 25yrds and then have my dope from there. With modern scopes...what does it matter as long as I know what the bullet is doing? I’d say keep what you have.

Reactions: camocorvette
absolutely agree. Should have elaborated.

It’s my go to gun for self defense (I’m rural) so it stays on 1x but zeroed at max mag. I plan on shooting Missouri MOST steel challenge and some gas gun shoots with it next year and feel like 6.5 mag won’t work at the longer ranges. Also getting dopes and dialing seems to be where it’s at in those shoots.

But again this is not a dedicated Comp gun. I just don’t have that kind of budget.

My local range is 800 and I like to shoot out to 500 there (steel). I also shoot a lot inside 100 too, so that’s why I was thinking offset red dot.

ill tell you where I am sitting at with my AR line up.

I have a 10.3 with a dedicated RMR

16” W/lpvo

and I am doing the fishing touches on a 14.5
the 14.5 will have a mk5 3.6-18 and off set RMR.

The RMR is crazy fast with both eyes open sight alignment, the lpvo or even my mro can not compare to it. Buy a gen1 or gen2 RMR and mount it to a 2.5-10.

Are you having trouble making hits with your current BDC? I was looking at a reticle designed for 62gr and compared the holds to 75/77gr holds and they really were almost the same (within 0.2 MIL). At that point, favor the bottom or top of the target and you're GTG. The 6.5x may be limiting on varmints at 500 yds but doesn't sound like it's an issue for steel. Maybe consider a 1-8 or even 1-10 LPVO? Not sure what the budget is for you but I think most would agree that a quality 1-6 is much more usable than a fuzzy 1-8.

maybe a 1-10 vortex or similar would be a good choice, then again, probably the same weight overall as the 2.5-10 with offset dot.

Yeah the difference in BDC from 62 to 75/77 isn’t that drastic.

ill tell you where I am sitting at with my AR line up.

I have a 10.3 with a dedicated RMR

16” W/lpvo

and I am doing the fishing touches on a 14.5
the 14.5 will have a mk5 3.6-18 and off set RMR.

The RMR is crazy fast with both eyes open sight alignment, the lpvo or even my mro can not compare to it. Buy a gen1 or gen2 RMR and mount it to a 2.5-10.

Sounds like it’ll be a nice setup. Mini RECCE is where it’s at.

maybe a 1-10 vortex or similar would be a good choice, then again, probably the same weight overall as the 2.5-10 with offset dot.

Yeah the difference in BDC from 62 to 75/77 isn’t that drastic.
Your eye box and FOV should be better w/the 2.5-10 vs 1-10, I think. Although it’s 30mm vs 34mm main tubes, too.

I’m building a 14.5” Recce / Suburban DMR type build. Right now leaning toward a 2.5-10 Trij Credo and an offset H1, all in a Badger Condition One mount. I happen to like a pin & weld’s handiness suppressed and 10x max mag is quite sufficient to 500 in this role. Sight in the Aimpoint for CQB and practice running it primary, canted so it’s second nature.

That’s my plan at least. And 75-77gr 5.56, as well. I’m leaning toward a Criterion CL hybrid profile, maybe CORE, but likely hybrid profile. Point being a better than average accuracy CL barrel, like yours, for longevity sake.

Those badger mounts are super slick! My setup would likely use the arisaka mount and keep my existing larue.

I was actually surprised as to how accurate this rifle has been. It’s a real pleasure to shoot.

If you are near Pensacola you can run them, it might help in your decision.

Much appreciated! I’m up in Missouri, but if I still lived in Tampa I’d have made the hike for sure! Funny thing is my wife wants to move to P-cola.

I don't think there is any properly priced 2.5-10 that I would put on an 223 gasser at this time. As far as I'm concerned there are no "good" value SPR scopes. They're either way overpriced, way overweight or stupid (ie Leupold VX5HD/VX6HD with no mil/mil illum options or shitty reticles)

The Nightforce 2.5-10x32 is not bad but way overpriced for what it is. Also not the greatest low light performer.
The MRT 2.5-8 is even worse because of all the cloners.
The triji credo is a boat anchor (23oz for a 36mm obj - seriously ?)
The PST gen1 is a time bomb (it will fail guaranteed then it'll be replaced by a gen 2 which weight twice as much)
The Burris XTR II are way to heavy for a lightweight AR but otherwise, decent.
Bushnell LRTSI 3-12 - Great glass, great turrets, but 25 oz as well.
VX-R patrol 3-9, decent weight and glass if you can get one really really cheap but on a AR I'd prefer a capped windage and locking elevation. Also the reticle is quite thick.

Why would you get a 12 years old design 19oz Nightforce 2.5-10x32 when you can get a 21oz Razor Gen 3 which will give you FFP, better illum, 1x performance, better reticle, better low-light performance, etc

Seems like the LPVOs have gotten better over the years, same with the hunting scopes and the "LR Tactical" but the nice tactical 2-10 market offering is still quite lacking.

I don't think there is any properly priced 2.5-10 that I would put on an 223 gasser at this time. As far as I'm concerned there are no "good" value SPR scopes. They're either way overpriced, way overweight or stupid (ie Leupold VX5HD/VX6HD with no mil/mil illum options or shitty reticles)

The Nightforce 2.5-10x32 is not bad but way overpriced for what it is. Also not the greatest low light performer.
The MRT 2.5-8 is even worse because of all the cloners.
The triji credo is a boat anchor (23oz for a 36mm obj - seriously ?)
The PST gen1 is a time bomb (it will fail guaranteed then it'll be replaced by a gen 2 which weight twice as much)
The Burris XTR II are way to heavy for a lightweight AR but otherwise, decent.
Bushnell LRTSI 3-12 - Great glass, great turrets, but 25 oz as well.
VX-R patrol 3-9, decent weight and glass if you can get one really really cheap but on a AR I'd prefer a capped windage and locking elevation. Also the reticle is quite thick.

Why would you get a 12 years old design 19oz Nightforce 2.5-10x32 when you can get a 21oz Razor Gen 3 which will give you FFP, better illum, 1x performance, better reticle, better low-light performance, etc

Seems like the LPVOs have gotten better over the years, same with the hunting scopes and the "LR Tactical" but the nice tactical 2-10 market offering is still quite lacking.

If you can find older Vortex HD LH 1.5-8x32 or 2-10x42 are great light weight scopes if you can live with MOA reticle. I do like the G4 reticle and use it on my 11.5" 6.5 Grendel SBR and thinking of swapping LRHS 3-12 on my 18" 6x45 for the 2-10 to shave almost a pound or weight

For me if I was concerned about fast and close there's no way I'd go away from 1x, and if I was going to do an offset red dot, adding size/weight and more training to get transitions down etc., I'd want more than 10x on the top end, at least 15x. For me I feel like a 1-6.5x can easily still do minute of man work way past 500. I actually like the view through many of the 1x scopes better than various red dots, I see less vision obstruction and the view is clearer. That said unless you are shooting a gun/bullet combo that matches the BDC reticle I'd much rather just have a mils style reticle.

I'd probably step up to a 1-8x or 1-10x if it were me for your stated use case if I felt I need more top end for steel shoots. Burris used to make a nice XTR 1-8x but it looks like in general Burris has gotten out of any mid quality 1x optics, only making the cheap 1x stuff now. There's lots of other good 1-8x options, and a couple 1-10x. Never used either, I've always ran 1-6x, so if they tunneled on 1x that would be a deal breaker for me.

valid points. I guess my mind is being poisoned by the mini recce thread over at Arfcom. 😬😬. I also really want a nightforce haha.

I'm against BDC reticles in general because they hardly ever line up exactly with your circumstances. Man-sized targets are no problem with a 14.5" and your LPVO out to at least 500 yards. If you want to upgrade, check out the Viper PST Gen 2 2-10x32. I've got it in FFP MRAD on my "SPR." Chose it over the NXS 2.5-10 because of the FFP and smaller objective. And the lower cost was definetely a consideration. I don't think you need an "upgrade," but it'd be a good excuse to try something else out.