• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Wotac or SS 10x...

eboggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Ohio, USA
Hello everyone,

First post here, I know theres alot of topics covering these two scopes, but i couldnt find anything that said.."this ones better than the other..or this one will better suite your needs" so please forgive me if there was.

My question is, Im looking for a nice Fixed power 10x scope thats in my budget...has mil dot reticle..or, any other range indicating reticle..and is no more than 400-450

Both the Super Sniper and WOTAC are in my price range..ive seen reviews on both..and mixed opinions on both..now, really want to get the best glass for my money...which one is better? is there not a straight answer to this question?

(I currently have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18) i like it..but no mil dot..and variable.) Is the glass on these comparible to Nikon? ive seen yay and nay..but..really?

Thanks and pardon my ignorance..

Re: Wotac or SS 10x...

Get the rear focus SS its a proven entity and when your ready to upgrade you can get most of your money back out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the rear focus SS its a proven entity and when your ready to upgrade you can get most of your money back out of it. </div></div>

Thanks dmg, now, with the rear focus is just cheaper because its not the side focus? costs more to have it on the side right? not difference in clarity etc?

thanks!

The rear focus is actually better. An extra mechanism and I think at least one more piece of glass is required to make it a side focus.

ok thanks guys, i have just one more question about the SS..it may sound stupid but..

I know the reticle is a Mil Dot..but ive seen three different photos on the net that were took looking through the scope..the mil dots seem so small..almost illegible..is this true? or just crappy photography?
whistle.gif
..As i really want to use the mil dots..( learn how to use the mil dots)

Thanks again

Center of dot to center of dot is one Mil. They appear bigger the higher the magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Center of dot to center of dot is one Mil. They appear bigger the higher the magnification. </div></div>

so how is it on the fixed 10x?

is the reticle pretty ligible..(able to use mil dots effectivly)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eboggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(I currently have a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18) i like it..but no mil dot..and variable.) Is the glass on these comparible to Nikon? ive seen yay and nay..but..really?

Thanks and pardon my ignorance..

</div></div>

Dont know about the Wotac but as far as the SS goes, IMHO, no.

okie

Glass is not great just ok but the scope has a reliable track record for repeatable adjustments which is the most important aspect of a tactical scope.Remember your buying a $300 scope it will have compromises.

SS have been the go to entry level reliable scopes for YEARS! They have held their reputation for reliability for as long. I've been shooting for a few days now, and there's a reason I keep one around.
The clarity is good on them, and they have 100 moa+ of adjustment. Many folks talk about Nikons and such in this price range, but reliable, repeatable AND lots of adjustment travel keep the SS's as my personal vote for best scope under $500.
Rear focus is the way to go. Most mechanical problems reported in the SS scopes are in the side focus model.
I've said it before, and folks may doubt me, but my 16X Leupy MK4 is only better than my 16X SS by a small margin.

I have no trouble using the Mil dots on the 10x SS. Don't worry about whether you can use them; of course you can.

I'd go with the SS. I have a rear-focus 10x that held up to my State Arms .50BMG rifle for several hundred rounds. It has accurate and repeatable adjustments. The glass isn't the greatest when compared to high-end stuff, but I have not used it for low-light shooting and it has been more than I expected for the price.

Another option is the Millet TRS-2.
It is a fixed 10X that is available in either MOA clicks or .1 mil clicks. Goes for about 280.
I have the 4-16x TRS-1 and am very happy with it.
They also make a Nikon Buckmaster in the same price range with the Mil-Dot, Nikon glass is very good especially considering the price.

I have 3 WOTACs (2) 4-14x and (1) 10x. All work beautifully. I know it's already been said, but Matt at Wonder Optics is great to deal with and while I haven't had any problems he has been prompt at addressing issues that others have had. Great scopes at a great price with great service!

I own a 10x S.S. that has been pretty well beat up by a 6.5 lbs .300wsm and it keeps on tickin.