• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Would a sightron 16x42 be overkill for a 308?

Southernfryedyankee

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
SC
Im in the market for a good scope and I am one of those I like to buy quality the first time. I was also looking at the Vortex PST line and I REALLY liked the MOA reticle but the lack of the 1/2 MOA hash marks is steering me away as my ranging sucks without them. The Sightron fixed powers have a modified mildot which is catching my interest more and more. Does anyone have any opinions on this scope or suggestions about the magnification? I would like to shoot out to 800 yds and I think the little bit of extra magnification may be quite handy. I would like to thank anyone who replies in advance.

Re: Would a sightron 16x42 be overkill for a 308?

I think the biggest downfall would be fixed power vs. variable with the PST. You could also get the MIL/MIL PST and have matching reticle and turrets with half mil hashes.

I have been trying to get accustomed to the different reticles on the simulator from shooter ready. It seems that I am the most proficient in windage and elevation with the MOA reticle but that is what the PST is lacking are those 1/2 MOA hash marks. As far as the mil reticle/turrets go. I am fairly decent at determining distance but I cannot get my windage where I need it to be. I also didnt want to wait forever for the PST's to come out. SOOOOO MANY choices

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the biggest downfall would be fixed power vs. variable with the PST. You could also get the MIL/MIL PST and have matching reticle and turrets with half mil hashes. </div></div>

I would not want a reticle with 1/2-moa hash marks. 1-moa graduations for both windage and elevation are ideal, IMHO.

A fixed 16x? Totally useless for anything but prone or bench shooting. Even then it takes forever to find your target.

Hell I usually shoot to a 1,000 yards with my 5.5x22 NXS on 11x.

JMHO.

So a fixed power with a max magnification of 10 and for a variable, would up to 16 be alright just to range?

I regret getting the 5.5-22x. 3-15x would have been much better.

Hell the 3x9 is more practical. BTW, the whole ranging with your scope is just a fun way to practice your skills for the 1 in 100 times you are in the field and the batteries on your laser range finder die. It is so hard to hold your scope still enough on a target in real life to get a proper range it isn't funny.

Just my non-sniper-ultra-macho opinion.

HAHAHA, I will definitely keep that in mind. So a Nikoplex and great rangefinder is the way to go HAHAHAA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I regret getting the 5.5-22x. 3-15x would have been much better.

Hell the 3x9 is more practical. BTW, the whole ranging with your scope is just a fun way to practice your skills for the 1 in 100 times you are in the field and the batteries on your laser range finder die. It is so hard to hold your scope still enough on a target in real life to get a proper range it isn't funny.

Just my non-sniper-ultra-macho opinion. </div></div>

Fixed 16X isn't overkill for target shooting but a 10X would be a better choice if you want a fixed.

There is a coupon out right now for the 3-12 bushnell FFP at midway, the code is 4200 which knocks 250$ off the cost. That's probably the best deal in that price range at the moment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sthrnfryedyankee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHAHA, I will definitely keep that in mind. So a Nikoplex and great rangefinder is the way to go HAHAHAA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I regret getting the 5.5-22x. 3-15x would have been much better.

Just my non-sniper-ultra-macho opinion. </div></div> </div></div>

Nikoplex. no. You want to have mils or MOA hashmarks for holdovers when you don't want to be f&cking with your scope turrets all of the time. Definitely have a range card. That and the range finder are the 2 most important parts of the what we are discussing.

Just my non-sniper-ninja opinion.

I'll echo what most have said and that's that I would get a variable scope. Yesterday I had to dial back to like 12x magnification because of the mirage, it would've sucked to have been stuck with a fixed power. You'll like the Sightron's they're good scopes with very few things to complain about. I have 2 including an 8-32 I'd part with pretty cheap