• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Would Ballistic for the iPod touch work on a hunt?

elkkid3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2009
Tonto Basin, AZ
Well, my dad and I got drawn for good deer tags this year. The altitude at our house/where we shoot is 2790. We will be hunting around 5000 (I think, give or take). Of course the temp and everything else is going to change. My question is would Ballistic be accurate enough out to 500-600 yards for a hunt? I would have a Kestrel right next to me so I could input the correct info right into it. I don't have any experience with a mobile Ballistic program.

Thanks,
Rhett

Re: Would Ballistic for the iPod touch work on a hunt?

For 5 or 600 yards, you won't really need any of the stuff. Just go find the animal and shoot it.

Thanks guys. If anyone else has more input that would be nice also. What about Ballistic VS Ballistic FTE?

I use Ballistic FTE in my IPhone and it works well. I think the system is downloaded into the hard drive so it doesn't need reception for it to work. I like FTE as it is pretty simple to use and it only took me one range session to figure out what screen I like the best. I also use a Kestrel 4000 and easily input the data into the program and get results.

I'm showing a .2 mil deviation from your altitude and 5k with the standard perimeters and shooting a 308WIN 168gr ballistic silvertip from winchester with factory MV. Obviously other things come into play...

Don't have hard data on your zero conditions versus shooting, but it's seriously negligible on a deer sized target assuming he presents a viable shot. Don't over think it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Ballistic FTE in my IPhone and it works well. I think the system is downloaded into the hard drive so it doesn't need reception for it to work. I like FTE as it is pretty simple to use and it only took me one range session to figure out what screen I like the best. I also use a Kestrel 4000 and easily input the data into the program and get results. </div></div>

what screen do you like the best ? got it about 2 weeks ago and am just starting to play with it.

Like Exbal on the desktop, but this was cost effective for portability.

It works great. At most "typical hunting" distances, you won't need it. It's nice to have for the long ones. I have numerous first round hits on game way out there that are thanks in part to the iPod/ballistic FTE system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Ballistic FTE in my IPhone and it works well. I think the system is downloaded into the hard drive so it doesn't need reception for it to work. I like FTE as it is pretty simple to use and it only took me one range session to figure out what screen I like the best. I also use a Kestrel 4000 and easily input the data into the program and get results. </div></div>

what screen do you like the best ? got it about 2 weeks ago and am just starting to play with it.

Like Exbal on the desktop, but this was cost effective for portability.</div></div>

I use the Heads of Display screen the most. I set up my favorites with what I am shooting and go to the HUD, put my favorite into the screen and hit HUD - then I use the Kestrel to change the atmospheric conditions.

FWIW- one of the guys on here ( MrM14) found that with proper Chronographing and DOPE work up, the Ballistic FTE is generally no more than .1 mil off. At least that was his conclusion as far as the last time I shot with him. Not sure if he was able to confirm that with multiple loads/calibers or not.