• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would be the best bullet weight for my Ar10?

jmichael99

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2011
ar10 in 308 with a 20in kreiger barrel with a 11.25:1 twist

i know 175 will be good but I'm just wondering what others will do good out to 1000 yards. I'm going to play around with different weights.

also thinking of trying the 155 scenar unless it just wouldn't work for what I'm doing?

Depends what you want to use it for. I love the new 130gr. military round for fast shooting tactical use. It is deadly on hogs with its solid copper base. If it's for distance try something that will feed into your mag without eating up powder space. Scener is probably to long of a bullet to load good. See what one of these other guys say. But for fun, get some of them military bulk cans of that new bullet. Its a damn good bullet.
ar10 in 308 with a 20in kreiger barrel with a 11.25:1 twist

i know 175 will be good but I'm just wondering what others will do good out to 1000 yards. I'm going to play around with different weights.

also thinking of trying the 155 scenar unless it just wouldn't work for what I'm doing?

My GAP-10 has a Bartlein with the same twist and it shoots 168 AMAXs better than 175 SMKs. But I haven't taken it out to 1K yet.

If you want to shoot out to 1k yds with any degree of consistent success, 168's (A-Max or SMK) are not a good choice as they peter out ballisticlly beyond about 800 yds. Inside 800yds they do great.

Better choices with your barrel twist would be 175gr SMK's, 178gr A-Max's, 180gr Berger VLD's. 155gr Scenars also do very well out to 1k yds. I have no experience with anything heavier in a 308 gas gun but you might look in the reloading forum. That forum also contains lots of load recipes for just about any 308 bullet you can think of.

For up close blasting, I've used these for years https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7239&dir=278|281|1079|1090|1727. They actually do pretty well out to 400-500 yds too.

If you want to shoot out to 1k yds with any degree of consistent success, 168's (A-Max or SMK) are not a good choice as they peter out ballisticlly beyond about 800 yds. Inside 800yds they do great.

Better choices with your barrel twist would be 175gr SMK's, 178gr A-Max's, 180gr Berger VLD's. 155gr Scenars also do very well out to 1k yds. I have no experience with anything heavier in a 308 gas gun but you might look in the reloading forum. That forum also contains lots of load recipes for just about any 308 bullet you can think of.

For up close blasting, I've used these for years https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7239&dir=278|281|1079|1090|1727. They actually do pretty well out to 400-500 yds too.

out of a 20in gun? someone blasted me that nothing will stay super sonic out of a 20in gun?

Depends on velocity. Some 20in are slow some fast. The 175 smk is what i like for all around use.

I assume you mean all around target use? (i.e. not hunting) Or do you use them for hunting too?

I have shot the 175's and 178's out to 1000 with no problem. Even with the bullets going transonic, accuracy and stability were not an issue.

The 175 SMK stays supersonic out to 1200 yards in my 18" gas gun.

The 168 drops out at 980.

Keep in mind that higher elevations like we have here in the Rocky Mountain West will give us much longer supersonic reach. .308 has enough trouble at 600yds if the winds are strong enough and shifting.

With 168gr SMK anywhere near sea level, you're not going to have a good day trying to hit IPSC silhouettes at 1000yds. I've had enough trouble doing it with 155gr Scenar hot loads from a 24" bolt gun (.308 Surgeon) in Colorado in shifting winds. I was chasing the wind with every shot, and vertical dispersion became an issue as well.

I gave up on .308 years ago because of the 6.5mm's. It's a waste of my time at anything past 700-800yds, even at my altitudes where I commonly shoot, and because I often travel to shoot competitions down at sea level. I wish .308 was never born, to be honest. If I could go back in time and abort it before birth (within Army Ordnance Board .30 cal nazis), I would stomp its infant carcass into the trash. There were much more efficient cartridges being developed at the time that should have been selected, but because of egos and incompetence, were not.

The only redeeming qualities of the 7.62 NATO and .308 are that you have excellent barrel life with them, and they are well-vetted for accuracy, components, and market support.

For an 11.25" twist, the longer shank pills like the 175gr SMK aren't going to do as well as they would with a tighter twist. I think Todd Hodnett is onto something with the short bull barrels and tight twists for extreme long range, since stability factor is better as the bullets pass through the transonic region.

Another affordable bullet to look at for .308 with 11.25" twist is the new 155gr SMK Palma. At the end of the day, you need a very experienced and dialed-in spotter who is providing wind calls every second in ~10mph or more winds for the .308 Winchester and an exceptionally accurate rifle to have high hit probability on targets just within 700yds, even at higher altitude.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that higher elevations like we have here in the Rocky Mountain West will give us much longer supersonic reach. .308 has enough trouble at 600yds if the winds are strong enough and shifting.

With 168gr SMK anywhere near sea level, you're not going to have a good day trying to hit IPSC silhouettes at 1000yds. I've had enough trouble doing it with 155gr Scenar hot loads from a 24" bolt gun (.308 Surgeon) in Colorado in shifting winds. I was chasing the wind with every shot, and vertical dispersion became an issue as well.

I gave up on .308 years ago because of the 6.5mm's. It's a waste of my time at anything past 700-800yds, even at my altitudes where I commonly shoot, and because I often travel to shoot competitions down at sea level. I wish .308 was never born, to be honest. If I could go back in time and abort it before birth (within Army Ordnance Board .30 cal nazis), I would stomp its infant carcass into the trash. There were much more efficient cartridges being developed at the time that should have been selected, but because of egos and incompetence, were not.

The only redeeming qualities of the 7.62 NATO and .308 are that you have excellent barrel life with them, and they are well-vetted for accuracy, components, and market support.

For an 11.25" twist, the longer shank pills like the 175gr SMK aren't going to do as well as they would with a tighter twist. I think Todd Hodnett is onto something with the short bull barrels and tight twists for extreme long range, since stability factor is better as the bullets pass through the transonic region.

Another affordable bullet to look at for .308 with 11.25" twist is the new 155gr SMK Palma. At the end of the day, you need a very experienced and dialed-in spotter who is providing wind calls every second in ~10mph or more winds for the .308 Winchester and an exceptionally accurate rifle to have high hit probability on targets just within 700yds, even at higher altitude.

Great points...

Nearly all of my shooting is done at around 3000 feet or higher. Sometimes much higher.

And I have a 1/10 twist out of a .936 fluted 18" barrel.

If I get serious about this whole PRS competition gig, I'll need to invest in a 6mm or .260 to keep up with the Jones's.

I shoot 155 Sierra Palma match out to a thousand in f class I use both my 24" armalite and 18" lr308 I average 5-7 Xrings and about the same number of 10s whe. Shooting 20 shot strings