• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would like to see pictures of Broughton #6 contour

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I am having a rifle built by Jered and the guys at APA.

It is a multi purpose rig and I want it to be light enough to carry while hunting, but have enough heft to allow extended strings of fire at the range. Sort of following the LTR strategy.

We settled on the #6 contour from Broughton. I did a lot of looking prior to deciding, but am now wanting to see some pics of your guys rigs with #6 Broughtons.

Can you help me out?

Re: Would like to see pictures of Broughton #6 contour

Here's a 5.75 contour

15UC.JPG

My google foo didn't dig up a 6. Not much help I know but I tried.

Thanks JF, I had actually seen that one also.

I too didnt have much luck googling for #6 Broughtons, but I figure there are some guys on here who may have one.

I think it is just about the right size, but sometimes get a little nervous thinking I may have went a bit too small.

The rifle started out as a factory LTR before being sent to Jered, and I wanted to get a slightly heavier barrel than whatever the contour is from Reminton.

We settled on the #6, and that is what it will be, but I was hoping to see some pictures to hold me over until I get it. Talking to Mark at APA today it appears that I may be fortunate enough to get the rifle in about 2 weeks. Cant Wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a 5.75 contour

15UC.JPG

My google foo didn't dig up a 6. Not much help I know but I tried. </div></div>

Also, I confess to not being terribly familiar with contour-ology.

I admit, the numbers just dont seem to make sense to me. They seem to be just random numbers, LOL.

For instance, how much bigger should one expect a #6 Broughton to be than a 5.75, or whatever that one pictured is?

Your barrel will carry more weight towards the breach but have a smaller muzzle dia. than the 5.75 due to it being a straight taper barrel. 6 contour barrels balance very well for shooting unsupported and so on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your barrel will carry more weight towards the breach but have a smaller muzzle dia. than the 5.75 due to it being a straight taper barrel. 6 contour barrels balance very well for shooting unsupported and so on. </div></div>

Smaller at the muzzle? Well, that is not really what I was hoping, but I will deal with it.

Maybe it is just the pictures, but the image of the 5.75 seems kind of smallish at the muzzle, at least to me. Was imagining the 6 would be a bit heavier throughout than what is pictured.

That's the one thing that kind of sucks when ordering a barrel based on numbers rather than actually being able to handle the various options and then deciding.

The original was intent was to go slightly bigger than the factory LTR contour, but that can be difficult to quantify.

I am sure it will be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: springer01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can use this.. Barrel Contour </div></div>

Thanks Springer. I had actually ran across that resource before.

A #6 is going to be pretty heavy.

I have a Broughton 5.5 Med. Varmit Sporter on a 300 Win Mag Jered & the boys built for me - its heavy. Wish I would have went with a 4.1 Magnum Sporter!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buckey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A #6 is going to be pretty heavy.

I have a Broughton 5.5 Med. Varmit Sporter on a 300 Win Mag Jered & the boys built for me - its heavy. Wish I would have went with a 4.1 Magnum Sporter!! </div></div>

I hope so. I also know that "pretty heavy" is pretty subjective. One way or another, I hope to know pretty soon. Expecting the rifle within a couple weeks.

Hydro, Jered and his crew built this one for me also. Sorry it's not a #6 but a #7, which is about .012" larger at the muzzle...not much but complete it weighs in at 16.3 pounds so just some food for thought if you plan on slinging it through the woods.

I think you will be very happy with the #6.

DSC_358700033855307.jpg

It is skinnier than a Remington varmint contour at the muzzle. Thats a little light for my liking.

I am sure you already knew this though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gtofan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro, Jered and his crew built this one for me also. Sorry it's not a #6 but a #7, which is about .012" larger at the muzzle...not much but complete it weighs in at 16.3 pounds so just some food for thought if you plan on slinging it through the woods.

I think you will be very happy with the #6.

DSC_358700033855307.jpg
</div></div>

Beautiful rig, and thanks. I take it that that is a Broughton?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beautiful rig, and thanks. I take it that that is a Broughton? </div></div>

Thanks, and yes it's a Broughton.