• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Would/will SWFA try for another military contract?

TallShot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
Central Louisiana
Just curious; with the success of their newer offerings, and even some using them in matches and schools.......

I would like to see them accomplish that; but would hate to see the inevitable back orders that comes with fame....

Re: Would/will SWFA try for another military contract?

I wonder if they are working on another model, updates/changes to the 5-20?

Looks like they are sold out of the ill and non-ill 5-20's. Maybe moving old stock for new model? I ordered one as soon as the discount code activated for the 5-20, glad I did seeing hearing they are out of stock now.

I have no info to back that up, just insomnia putting thoughts in my head.

They sold a bunch of the 5-20 with that facebook fan page deal. Just waiting for more stock to show up as far as i know.

I wasn't wondering about their current inventory lol....

Wanting to know others thoughts if possibly SWFA might try for any govt contracts since their offerings have been so popular.

What features would you want in a government contract scope?
Should SWFA try for the long range daylight contract, medium to long range, short to medium, or a CQB scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What features would <span style="font-weight: bold">YOU</span> want in a government contract scope?</div></div>

For some reason this struck me as extremely funny.

Maybe it's because "YOU" don't have any say in a Government Contract. The Government Agency in questions states what they want. The companies that qualify submit their best interpretation of that request.

There ain't no "YOU" in it.

As for the Day scope, the PSR Submission was a few months back, and was awarded to S&B.

Right? God forbid they should consult those who would actually use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What features would <span style="font-weight: bold">YOU</span> want in a government contract scope?</div></div>

Maybe it's because "YOU" don't have any say in a Government Contract. The Government Agency in questions states what they want. The companies that qualify submit their best interpretation of that request.

There ain't no "YOU" in it. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalDillhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right? God forbid they should consult those who would actually use it.</div></div>

Depending on the item and agency in question....they may. They just don't open up threads on Snipershide.

I don't think anyone <span style="text-decoration: line-through">understood the question</span> cares.

Your assuming SWFA previously "tried" for contract.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think anyone understood the question. </div></div>

I believe your question was:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would/will SWFA try for <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">another</span></span> military contract?</div></div>

I am not sure what military contract you think they have bid on so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think anyone <span style="text-decoration: line-through">understood the question</span> cares.

Your assuming SWFA previously "tried" for contract.</div></div>

So no one cares. That's cool. Why are you posting then?

I'm not "assuming". Just a simple curiosity about any future plans. And according to their website, they did have a Navy contract some time ago for the fixed 10x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think anyone understood the question. </div></div>

I believe your question was:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would/will SWFA try for <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">another</span></span> military contract?</div></div>

I am not sure what military contract you think they have bid on so far.
</div></div>

I know they have not bid on anything recently. The "another" part was referring to the old Navy 10x scope.

And I'm not just asking about military contracts, just different govt agencies period.

Didn't the Navy take in the 10x Super Sniper about 6-7 years ago or so?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And according to their website, they did have a Navy contract some time ago for the fixed 10x.</div></div>

You may want to read that a little closer.

My understanding is that Tasco entered the SS 10x in a Navy Contract bid. I believe this was before SWFA bought the rights to the scope and SWFA name.

SWFA is a great company to deal with and they produce some very nice offerings. However there is MUCH more to a contract bid than a design that the public likes.

I for one just want to see the new 1-6x. That is the hot niche right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What features would <span style="font-weight: bold">YOU</span> want in a government contract scope?</div></div>

There ain't no "YOU" in it. </div></div>

Your right, there is no YOU in a government contract, unless the you is the government, or the government actually ask the end users what they would like in a piece of equipment. That is how the statement or question was intended. Since there has to be a starting point somewhere, and since there is no you involved in this contract as to who or whom to address the question to, without running around the dictionary to identify who to address the question to as to what they, whomever they may be, want in the particular item to be bid upon in this said contract item, and who or whon is requesting for said bids and what parameters, specifications, features, and quality standards are required to meet said contract standards in order to submit a contract bid for said item.

Now, does this better suit your standards of how to ask a question, LoneWolf, or should I be a little more specific?

Lord, with such hair splitting attitudes, it's a wonder with that the U.S. Military got past the rifled musket.

My brother was project manager for the MX Missle reentry vehicles, that could destroy whole cities, and I don't think he had to put up with anyone this obstinate.

Popcorn? check. Comfy chair? check. Perhaps the beginnings of another 'Hide classic
laugh.gif
priceless!

...starting to sound like when my wife and daughter have one of their "discussions"...
wink.gif

Not sure it would make any sense for SWFA to answer an RFP (Request For Proposal) for a military contract.

Filling a government contract really only gets you one thing. Bone Fides. As a COTS based product, they are not limited to a certain percentage of profit, but it probably still wouldn't be much of a profit (but probably better than the standard limit of 8% on NRE) . All they get to do it is stamp a NSN on the box and say "Hey! It's government issue too!". (I mean, how many people have bought Leupold or S&B scopes and defend the price and purchase saying "Hey, it's what the XXXX teams use!".)

SWFA already has a niche for their scopes...us! Folks who no longer have a rich Uncle to pay for their toys, and need a decent product for the price point (and don't really <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">need</span></span> the top end stuff).

JMTCW...I'll go back to eating my popcorn now...

Who give's a shit?

If you want to have military contract gear, get one of the overrun scopes from Counter Sniper or Nightforce. Either one will suit your needs, so get whatever is cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now, does this better suit your standards of how to ask a question, LoneWolf, or should I be a little more specific?</div></div>

No, because your question was asinine to begin with.

Why would you ask a group of people as varied as those in this room what THEY would want in a CONTRACT scope?

There is a very narrow section of members on this site who are actually issued Government Contracted equipment. For the rest of us, we don't give a shit if it's a "contract" piece or not. We select and purchase what fills our need.

I get increasingly tired of having to explain to people that just because it was "military specification" does not mean it's the best or that it even comes close to filling their need.

Now you can piss and moan all you want. It was a dumb question (yes, they do exist) because the answer doesn't matter.

LoneWolf I beg to differ, it was a perfectly good question. The OP wanted to know if SWFA would try for a government contract; OK, a contract for what kind of scope. What do they want or need? I want to know what the OP thinks or knows what they want in a scope. Asking if SWFA may try for a government contract scope without giving more specifics is like asking asking Lockheed if they will be trying to get a contract for a new airplane, an airplane to do what; be a fighter, a bomber, or a bullshit hauler.
I don't give a crap if SWFA has a military stock No. either, but it might be of interest to me if the government is asking or thinking about asking for proposals.
If I'm pissing or moaning, it's because you saw fit to jump into a conversation because I chose to use the word YOU instead of going into a bunch of legal definitions of a government proposals for a contract. That wasn't just dumb, it was rude sir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TallShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And according to their website, they did have a Navy contract some time ago for the fixed 10x.</div></div>

You may want to read that a little closer.

My understanding is that Tasco entered the SS 10x in a Navy Contract bid. I believe this was before SWFA bought the rights to the scope and SWFA name.

SWFA is a great company to deal with and they produce some very nice offerings. However there is MUCH more to a contract bid than a design that the public likes.

I for one just want to see the new 1-6x. That is the hot niche right now.</div></div>

Holy space balls man.

I realize that Tasco previously had the line. Holy fuck.

I was just -attempting- to ask if SWFA had thought, were going to, maybe quite possibly, some how some way, fairy tails to the wind , would possibly in some form or fashion or know-how, submit some of their scopes for a govt contract.

THAT'S IT.

And btw, Lonewolf, don't take that as a personal slight. It's more in general, and me not getting at all; why peoples panties are starting to become somewhat gritty.

Contact Us
Business Hours: Monday thru Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.

Mailing & Shipping Address:
420 Century Way, #100
Red Oak, TX, 75154
Phone Number: (972) SCOPE-IT (972-726-7348)
Fax Number: (972) 617-1647
Email: [email protected]

Walk in customers are welcome to stop by anytime during normal business hours.

I certainly don't mean any offense to any invidual on this site or in this discussion, but these kind of discussions are why I dont give any credibility to these forums.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If I'm pissing or moaning, it's because you saw fit to jump into a conversation because I chose to use the word YOU instead of going into a bunch of legal definitions of a government proposals for a contract. That wasn't just dumb, it was rude sir. </div></div>

It is obvious that you do not understand my reply. I don't know if it's a failing on my part to convey the information to you or a comprehension issue on your part.

Either way I do not care to reiterate it since it would add nothing to the great wealth of information that is the internet.

Comparing aircraft contracts to small arms optics contracts pretty much outlines your scope of understanding.

BTW, what would YOU like to see in the next Joint Strike Fighter? What? You aren't a fighter pilot? That's kind of my point.

This kind of arguing makes me wonder if anyone on here could ever be trusted if the worst ever happened, seems like dog eat dog to to me for a simple question. Seems like the whole country is in a bad mood.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBlue&Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who give's a shit?

If you want to have military contract gear, get one of the overrun scopes from Counter Sniper or Nightforce. Either one will suit your needs, so get whatever is cheaper.</div></div>

Ok Goldie, I hope this means you have a good sense of humor, and not that you believe Counter Sniper was actually in a military contract.

As for SWFA, they seem to be fine scopes. However, I'm not sure they are in the same league as some of the others that are currently getting military contracts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SturmHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If I'm pissing or moaning, it's because you saw fit to jump into a conversation because I chose to use the word YOU instead of going into a bunch of legal definitions of a government proposals for a contract. That wasn't just dumb, it was rude sir. </div></div>

It is obvious that you do not understand my reply. I don't know if it's a failing on my part to convey the information to you or a comprehension issue on your part.

Either way I do not care to reiterate it since it would add nothing to the great wealth of information that is the internet.

Comparing aircraft contracts to small arms optics contracts pretty much outlines your scope of understanding.

BTW, what would YOU like to see in the next Joint Strike Fighter? What? You aren't a fighter pilot? That's kind of my point.
</div></div>

Ok, well I guess we won't talk about it since you don't seem to think it appropriate. Would you like for us to PM you our thread topic subjects from now on or email them instead? How long before you okay each one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBlue&Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who give's a shit?

If you want to have military contract gear, get one of the overrun scopes from Counter Sniper or Nightforce. Either one will suit your needs, so get whatever is cheaper. </div></div>

Wow,really?

You have both a failure to convey and comprehend. So far the only thing you have coveyed is your lack of an ability to join a civil discussion and show us your superior intellect by attempting to insult members who would like to have a discussion.

Comparing aircraft contracts to small arms optics contracts pretty much outlines your scope of understanding

This must intimidate you, since you can't comprehend it.

BTW, what would YOU like to see in the next Joint Strike Fighter? What? You aren't a fighter pilot? That's kind of my point

I do have an opinion on the next Joint Strike Fighter, and you have no idea what my background is. THAT IS MY POINT.

The fact is that YOU have ruined a thread that could have been informative and maybe a little interesting and productive, by being a playground bully.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way. Your not leading, and your not following.

Who gives a FUCK about a millitary contract? They make one HELL of a 10XHD scope. I am ordering a 2nd one to put on my AR 5.56, the other one is on my .308. Tracking is perfect, glass is out standing. MIL-QUAD reticle I luv.

This must intimidate you, since you can't comprehend it.</div></div>

You are right. You intimidate me.

Thus, I hereby approve the discussion of what "YOU" want in a Government Contract scope.

Pleas talk amongst yourselves.

wink.gif

While you do, I will continue to enjoy the hell out of the SWFA SS 5-20 that I have sitting here.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zYJMv0CXB8&hd=1"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2zYJMv0CXB8&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Alright, now we can get down to business.

I would like to see a HUD integrated into the scope that displays subtitled reruns of the fresh prince of bel air. I believe this would be useful in the field for when there's nothing going on, but you have to keep an eye on your targets AND stay awake at the same time. Oh, and a death ray, definitely will need a death ray. I may be thinking too far outside the box here.

you read my mind!!!! DEATH RAYS!