• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would you be satisfied with this install?

Re: Would you be satisfied with this install?

I'm not looking to stick it to CDI, just stick by what he presented to me as a resolution. I paid full price for a DBM and I paid full price for a professional inlet job on a McMillan A-5 stock. I don't see where I am getting anything extra than what I originally asked, sent, and paid for. My stock isn't a beat up piece of junk, it's in good condition and any flaws/mods/etc. performed by my local smith or I will be documented and can be adjusted in any manner that is fitting.

At the point I accepted the offer from Jeff, the deal should have been set in motion and I don't understand why things should change now. I will live up to my end of the deal and I would like to see what happens to the resolution that was presented to me.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not looking to stick it to CDI, just stick by what he presented to me as a resolution. I paid full price for a DBM and I paid full price for a professional inlet job on a McMillan A-5 stock. I don't see where I am getting anything extra than what I originally asked, sent, and paid for. My stock isn't a beat up piece of junk, it's in good condition and any flaws/mods/etc. performed by my local smith or I will be documented and can be adjusted in any manner that is fitting.

At the point I accepted the offer from Jeff, the deal should have been set in motion and I don't understand why things should change now. I will live up to my end of the deal and I would like to see what happens to the resolution that was presented to me.

-X

</div></div>

again, what it looks like to me is at this point, you don't care one bit about the stock being fixed. all you care about is making cdi pay as much as possible. is there any reason that you wouldn't be satisfied if cdi payed mcmillian to fix the stock in the way that they offered to do? what exactly is a new stock going to solve? you are still going to have bottom metal that doesn't match the stock. if you bought bottom metal that was designed around the stock you are using, i bet those chips in the gel coat would hardly be noticeable. i'm guessing the largest one is around .040".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not looking to stick it to CDI, just stick by what he presented to me as a resolution. I paid full price for a DBM and I paid full price for a professional inlet job on a McMillan A-5 stock. I don't see where I am getting anything extra than what I originally asked, sent, and paid for. My stock isn't a beat up piece of junk, it's in good condition and any flaws/mods/etc. performed by my local smith or I will be documented and can be adjusted in any manner that is fitting.

-X

</div></div>

again, what it looks like to me is at this point, you don't care one bit about the stock being fixed. all you care about is making cdi pay as much as possible. is there any reason that you wouldn't be satisfied if cdi payed mcmillian to fix the stock in the way that they offered to do? what exactly is a new stock going to solve? you are still going to have bottom metal that doesn't match the stock. if you bought bottom metal that was designed around the stock you are using, i bet those chips in the gel coat would hardly be noticeable. i'm guessing the largest one is around .040". </div></div>

Who cares? The customer isnt happy and thats it. Jeff is a good guy who has done some work for me and it came out great, but on the other hand every once in awhile you get an accident. Did Jeff mean to chip his stock? No, but shit happens, so between the two of them they are solving it.

Lets all move on. People like 300sniper who come in here and rag on people for wanting a job performed like they paid for it has every right to evaluate THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT. Put yourself in his shoes, if your $400.00 stock was damaged in your mind then you would be pissed off too. $400 and up plus the 6 months waits is hard to see banged up.

Me personally, would buy the repair kit, have Roscoe fix it like he offered to do and then shoot the piss out of it. Thats what they are for, tools to do a job. We all take pride in what our rifles looks like when you first get them, hence all the picture threads. You get it back, you fondle it, then its time to shoot it and use it for what its meant for.

And as for having the "intelligence and good taste" to buy a McMillan bc its the "best", well I wont get started on that. You would have less chipping and boo boo marks if you went another route....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not looking to stick it to CDI, just stick by what he presented to me as a resolution. I paid full price for a DBM and I paid full price for a professional inlet job on a McMillan A-5 stock. I don't see where I am getting anything extra than what I originally asked, sent, and paid for. My stock isn't a beat up piece of junk, it's in good condition and any flaws/mods/etc. performed by my local smith or I will be documented and can be adjusted in any manner that is fitting.

-X

</div></div>

again, what it looks like to me is at this point, you don't care one bit about the stock being fixed. all you care about is making cdi pay as much as possible. is there any reason that you wouldn't be satisfied if cdi payed mcmillian to fix the stock in the way that they offered to do? what exactly is a new stock going to solve? you are still going to have bottom metal that doesn't match the stock. if you bought bottom metal that was designed around the stock you are using, i bet those chips in the gel coat would hardly be noticeable. i'm guessing the largest one is around .040". </div></div>

I said before that I am going to stand my ground on this. Sometimes a man has to stay the course regardless if he loses in the end. I realize that principle will get me nowhere in this day and age, but I was raised the way I was raised. I'm sorry that you and I don't see eye to eye on this and I'm prepared to be no better off in this situation than I am at this moment.

-X

+ infinity 300. me personally, i always take the least expensive fix. a new stock would have been my last choice of the options given. but since Jeff is footing the bill, i guess thats whats going on here... just my opinion of course.

just curious, when working on stuff thats got a finish like that, would a layer of tape over the gelcoat affect the mill or bit? anyone think it may stop the chips?

the mention of downtime keeps sticking in my mind. how long will a new stock take? and during that time, will you still be shooting the rifle? with Jeffs stock? while i am trying to put myself in your place man, really i am, a whole new stock seems excessive, even if Jeff made that offer. me personally, i would start with the cheapest way possible to repair the gelcoat. and now that McMillan made that offer, taking a stock instead seems excessive. and man, this is coming from someone with a problem with a vendor here thats gone on for quite a while with no resolution yet. no one knows about it, and if its resolved, no one will. i wish you luck man

Can we just let this thread die already. Restitution has been offered on the companies part and the customer has made his decision. Theres thousands of users on this site, not everyone is going to feel the same way on this topic and not everyone is going to be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not looking to stick it to CDI, just stick by what he presented to me as a resolution. I paid full price for a DBM and I paid full price for a professional inlet job on a McMillan A-5 stock. I don't see where I am getting anything extra than what I originally asked, sent, and paid for. My stock isn't a beat up piece of junk, it's in good condition and any flaws/mods/etc. performed by my local smith or I will be documented and can be adjusted in any manner that is fitting.

-X

</div></div>

I said before that I am going to stand my ground on this. Sometimes a man has to stay the course regardless if he loses in the end. I realize that principle will get me nowhere in this day and age, but I was raised the way I was raised. I'm sorry that you and I don't see eye to eye on this and I'm prepared to be no better off in this situation than I am at this moment.

-X </div></div>

so what exactly are you going to get with a new stock vs. your stock repaired by the stock manufacture?

I also want to say that in the IM's that I have received from members here, I have praised Jeff for offering such a stand up resolution to this. I commented to at least a couple of those people that I have read NOTHING but good about his work. I spoke highly about the bottom metal in which I received and recommended it to them as I believe it is a high quality piece of gear. I have even commented to these people that I like the quality of the bottom metal so much that I wouldn't mind purchasing another for my Remington 700. I believe most of my comments to these people were after this thread had turned for the worse.

I won't ask these guys to step forward but I would like you to know and understand that I was never in this, and will never be in this "to stick it to CDI".

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+ infinity 300. me personally, i always take the least expensive fix. a new stock would have been my last choice of the options given. but since Jeff is footing the bill, i guess thats whats going on here... just my opinion of course.

just curious, when working on stuff thats got a finish like that, would a layer of tape over the gelcoat affect the mill or bit? anyone think it may stop the chips?

the mention of downtime keeps sticking in my mind. how long will a new stock take? and during that time, will you still be shooting the rifle? with Jeffs stock? while i am trying to put myself in your place man, really i am, a whole new stock seems excessive, even if Jeff made that offer. me personally, i would start with the cheapest way possible to repair the gelcoat. and now that McMillan made that offer, taking a stock instead seems excessive. and man, this is coming from someone with a problem with a vendor here thats gone on for quite a while with no resolution yet. no one knows about it, and if its resolved, no one will. i wish you luck man </div></div>

the helix of an endmill pulls up as it cuts to remove material. i am sure this is what causes the gel coat to chip. i don't think tape would change it at all because it is lifting up from bellow the surface. i am not sure if mcmillian uses a different cutter type to do inlets. i would be curious to find out though.

i wouldn't take the cheaper fix if it was not a satisfactory fix. in this situation, i don't see what a new stock will accomplish that the fixed stock wont. that is why i think the motivation of the op is revenge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the mention of downtime keeps sticking in my mind. how long will a new stock take? and during that time, will you still be shooting the rifle? with Jeffs stock? while i am trying to put myself in your place man, really i am, a whole new stock seems excessive, even if Jeff made that offer. me personally, i would start with the cheapest way possible to repair the gelcoat. and now that McMillan made that offer, taking a stock instead seems excessive. </div></div>
+1 McMillan just offered to fix your stock, they use the same materials as when making the stock, so why would you want a new one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not looking to stick it to CDI, just stick by what he presented to me as a resolution. I paid full price for a DBM and I paid full price for a professional inlet job on a McMillan A-5 stock. I don't see where I am getting anything extra than what I originally asked, sent, and paid for. My stock isn't a beat up piece of junk, it's in good condition and any flaws/mods/etc. performed by my local smith or I will be documented and can be adjusted in any manner that is fitting.

-X

</div></div>

-X </div></div>

so what exactly are you going to get with a new stock vs. your stock repaired by the stock manufacture? </div></div>

300, if after reading my last two posts you don't understand, I don't believe that you will ever understand and I will question whether or not you are instigating a fight for further conflict for nothing more than your own amusement.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
that is why i think the motivation of the op is revenge. </div></div>

If you read my post that is directly above the one you posted, then I would like to know what satisfaction in revenge I am getting by praising Jeff ***ETA: Jeff and his products***.

-X

i'm not instigating. i am just trying to figure out your motivation for a new stock vs. one repaired by the manufacture of it. you have not answered what exactly you expect to get with a new stock that you wouldn't with your stock being repaired.

maybe you can say something to prove me wrong about thinking your motivation is revenge.

Im going to have to agree with 300 on this one. Dick Davis himself offered to fix your stock, the same people that made your stock! Yet you are making Jeff buy you a new one? Thats a shitty thing to do in my book. You are just taking advantage of Jeff.

It wouldnt bother me one bit if Jeff told you to go pound sand at this point. I would still use his services.

WTF does it matter 300???? Is it yours? Nope. Who gives a flying fuck why or how Black-X and Jeff go about the fix? Is it your dog in the fight, let it go.

It's like a bunch of damn women in here. Nobody cares about how any of you feel about this. Quit crying like a bunch of bitches and take this shit to PM's.

This high school drama is getting old.

If you have a problem, take it up the the individual like a man, not post all about it on a forum. If you have a problem with someone or a service, talk to them, don't whine about it to a bunch of people who don't really give a crap about you or your rifle. That is the stuff my girlfriend does when she gets angry at one of her friends, rally the other friends in support.

Sad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going to have to agree with 300 on this one. Dick Davis himself offered to fix your stock, the same people that made your stock! Yet you are making Jeff buy you a new one? Thats a shitty thing to do in my book. You are just taking advantage of Jeff.

It wouldnt bother me one bit if Jeff told you to go pound sand at this point. I would still use his services.</div></div>

Understood and I'm prepared for that outcome. Do you think that I haven't already spoken to my local smith to get a quote for cleaning up and fixing this rifle? He's quite backlogged but he agreed to speak to me more in-depth on Monday morning.

I'm not questioning Jeff as he has not commented further, but if buying a new stock, buying the rifle, or building a new rifle never had a chance on being fulfilled then what was the point of writing it? Beyond everything else, I feel that you are missing this part completly.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF does it matter 300???? Is it yours? Nope. Who gives a flying fuck why or how Black-X and Jeff go about the fix? Is it your dog in the fight, let it go. </div></div>

mostly because i don't want to see a hard working person getting taken advantage of over a minor issue, be it a gunsmith or a customer.

it looks to me like the customer is taking advantage of cdi's offer and i am calling him on it. until i can see what he feels will be better with a new stock vs. one fixed by the manufacture, i will continue to question his motives. i would do the same thing if a vendor taking advantage of or screwing over a customer.

edit: and you are correct. i don't have a dog in the fight. i don't know the vendor or the customer but i will stand up for what i think is right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going to have to agree with 300 on this one. Dick Davis himself offered to fix your stock, the same people that made your stock! Yet you are making Jeff buy you a new one? Thats a shitty thing to do in my book. You are just taking advantage of Jeff.

It wouldnt bother me one bit if Jeff told you to go pound sand at this point. I would still use his services.</div></div>

Understood and I'm prepared for that outcome. Do you think that I haven't already spoken to my local smith to get a quote for cleaning up and fixing this rifle? He's quite backlogged but he agreed to speak to me more in-depth on Monday morning.

I'm not questioning Jeff as he has not commented further, but if buying a new stock, buying the rifle, or building a new rifle never had a chance on being fulfilled then what was the point of writing it? Beyond everything else, I feel that you are missing this part completly.

-X </div></div>

Prepared for that outcome? Dont for one second think that Jeff will back out of what he said. He will buy you a new stock as he is a man of his word. And Im not trying to bash you here, I was just stating my opinion on the matter. I have had McMillan do some patching on one of my stocks and I can promise you that it looks 100% right, you will in no way see that it has been patched or fixed. Do the right thing and have Dick fix that stock up for you, whats the worste thats going to happen, you dont like it and Im sure Jeff will still buy you a new stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WTF does it matter 300???? Is it yours? Nope. Who gives a flying fuck why or how Black-X and Jeff go about the fix? Is it your dog in the fight, let it go. </div></div>

edit: and you are correct. i don't have a dog in the fight. i don't know the vendor or the customer but i will stand up for what i think is right. </div></div>

300, I agree with everything that you said. My orginal point was, that neither you nor I have a dog in this fight. At this point you are just going to continue to talk this till your blue in the face. Jeff and the OP are working it out. Is it shitty, maybe, do we know everything there is to know, maybe. I dont wanna see anyone get taken for a loop as it is either, but there isnt anything that can be done by you or I. And getting an answer probably wont change your opinion of the guy anyway. So I propose just letting it go.

You're not being too picky. I would not be satisfied with the job.

I wasn't happy to see the chips. I however would have hit it with 300 wet or dry and then 600. As far as the pillar, the factory expert told X that it is not needed.

Lawyers please forgive me for what I'm going to say........My sister is a lawyer. She is always looking for deals and will take advantage of the company or person that doesn't do things her way no matter how perfect the job is.

Since the offer to make it right was made, the least X could have done was to accept it. If the repair was not done properly then he could have asked for a new stock.

CDI, this is a lesson for you that detail is associated with professionalism. X, I feel for folks that are taken advantage of by people like you. JMHO.

Andy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andybull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wasn't happy to see the chips. I however would have hit it with 300 wet or dry and then 600. As far as the pillar, the factory expert told X that it is not needed.

Lawyers please forgive me for what I'm going to say........My sister is a lawyer. She is always looking for deals and will take advantage of the company or person that doesn't do things her way no matter how perfect the job is.

Since the offer to make it right was made, the least X could have done was to accept it. If the repair was not done properly then he could have asked for a new stock.

CDI, this is a lesson for you that detail is associated with professionalism. X, I feel for folks that are taken advantage of by people like you. JMHO.

Andy </div></div>

Seems a bit unfair to come in and post your biased and preconceived opinion of me based on the fact that your lawyer sister "is always looking for deals and will take advantage of the company or person that doesn't do things her way no matter how perfect the job is."

Not sure why there's so much pressure and bully tactics being thrown at me over my acceptance of someone else's proposed resolution.

-X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im going to have to agree with 300 on this one. Dick Davis himself offered to fix your stock, the same people that made your stock! Yet you are making Jeff buy you a new one? Thats a shitty thing to do in my book. You are just taking advantage of Jeff.

-X </div></div>

Prepared for that outcome? Dont for one second think that Jeff will back out of what he said. He will buy you a new stock as he is a man of his word. And Im not trying to bash you here, I was just stating my opinion on the matter. I have had McMillan do some patching on one of my stocks and I can promise you that it looks 100% right, you will in no way see that it has been patched or fixed. Do the right thing and have Dick fix that stock up for you, whats the worste thats going to happen, you dont like it and Im sure Jeff will still buy you a new stock. </div></div>

All you and 300 are doing is stirring the pot. What's done is done. Stop trying to keep this going and let it die already. This high school bitch fest is getting old and clogging up our bandwith! Jeff is a big boy, I think he can stand up for himself and his business.

i like how people say to let it die while at the same time bringing the thread back up
wink.gif

How the fuck am I stiring the pot? All I did was give my opinion on the matter and make a suggestion.

And may I ask you KYshooter, why you are so invested in defending this guy? If you want this thread to die, stop posting in it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How the fuck am I stiring the pot? All I did was give my opinion on the matter and make a suggestion.

And may I ask you KYshooter, why you are so invested in defending this guy? If you want this thread to die, <span style="color: #FF0000">stop posting in it!</span> </div></div>

Take your own advice.

You and 300sniper should go on a date. you're perfect for each other!

Ok guys lets stop the dick comparison.

If I was a Betting Man This Thread is most likly going to be locked or deleated by day break as is not really serving a purpose at this point.

But since I read the whole thing, I did want to post on one thing

Quote: <span style="font-weight: bold">"so what exactly are you going to get with a new stock vs. your stock repaired by the stock manufacture? "</span>

Take it from somone that has inletted thousands of stocks for DBM's, Tons for alot of other builder's on this site as well.

If you send the stock to Dick Davis at Mcmillan to patch up it will look better than the new one as the gell will form up to the Guard and the inletting that shows can also be colored. You wont get that with a new stock. Somthing to consider. It will also save Jeff about $600 and a stock he does not need.

There ya go! A repair will actually be better than a new stock, because a new stock will be a carbon copy of the old one more than likely. I'm sure a few people, including myself, never realized a factory repair would fix all the cosmetic problems. Looks like a win-win situation.

I haven't checked this thread in a while and it sure did grow.

The business of making things and making customers happy is an ever evolving lesson.

I have learned a lot with this particular Rifle install job.
That's something no one can take from me. I'm sure every other rifle builder that does more than 2 rifles a year will come across similar issues, and they learned the same thing I did.

I normally charge $125 for a full install(this involves having the whole rifle in hand, versus just stock inletting). this is what I like to call a Basic service. that means no bedding, no pillars installed, no paint or extra finish work.. etc.

I offered a 50% discount on a Full install service. This basically equals the price of inletting only service. The full install requires making adjustments and testing of the complete rifle for function. A stock inletting is just that, and requires the end user to finish the install.

I also offer pretty fast turnarounds, usually inside of a week. This is one thing I try to keep up on. Maybe this particular rifle suffered from this mindset, and it will be adjusted as needed.

I am not a full service shop at the moment. I don't do bedding work, or installing pillars, etc. I am concentrating on making parts and designing new ones for new applications.

I work alone.. no one else here but me. I do it all, from answering the fone, to buying toilet paper and cleaning the head.

As silly as it sounds, I was not aware of a patch kit being available, and the ability to fix these stocks to they look factory fresh. I know now however. so that's a plus. I have inletted a bunch with razor sharp edges and rarely have a problem.

I also learned to take the extra time to communicate any possible problems to the customer before sending it on out..and maybe figuring out a resolution before people have the chance to get disappointed. I know this seems like a basic thing, but we have to consider the scope of the work I offer. I didn't build a $4000 rifle and send it on out half assed. The total bill for this particular build was $289 bucks shipped.

Being a basic service provider, it is outside of the scope of the work contracted for to re install pillars and re-bed stocks if there may be an issue. So in the future I will contact the customer and advise them of what were looking at (If there appears to be something out of whack) and how they may want to proceed(an added cost service may follow at that point).

I want to thank everyone who has bought parts and services from me, and I will continue to strive to provide disappointment free services.. I'm working hard every day to make things happen for people.

Thanks to Mr Davis and McMillan Riflestocks for offering great solutions.. They really are a top notch bunch of folks that strive to make things as good as possible. Thanks for helping the small guy like me..:) I appreciate it.

My sigline describes my outlook on things.. I will continue to abide by it. A new stock is ordered and in 3-4 months we will rinse and repeat this job to the customers satisfaction.

Thanks all..:)

Jeff

And that is why your business and client list will continue to grow Jeff, those words absolutely speak volumes about you. We all know shit happens, it is what it is. What separates the good from the bad is how you react when faced with a problem. Anyone who provides a service or product has failed at least once to live up to the customers expectations, and whoever says otherwise is probably not being completely honest. That being said, once again, how you followed up the problem is why you are respected as a person and a vendor on this site! Look forward to doing business with ya very soon.

Kelly