• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Would you shoot this match?

Would you participate?

• Absolutely, sign me up!!

Votes: 63 68.5%
  • Nah bro, gtfo!

Votes: 29 31.5%

• Total voters
I think it’s odd there aren’t at least a few stages in PRS matches where you shoot directly off a tripod. It would be boring if a lot of them allowed it but the matches I’ve shot almost never do, and it seems like something you’d want to include if it’s a real world skill.

Shooting off a tripod is even easier than shooting off a prop because it's so stable. If you practice with your tripod, you know the exact heights for sitting, kneeling, low standing, and high standing, and makes it really comfortable. Tripod as rear support with a bipod up front is also extremely stable, with no bag needed.

Tripods are an incredibly huge advantage if you know how to use one.

Shooting off a tripod is even easier than shooting off a prop because it's so stable. If you practice with your tripod, you know the exact heights for sitting, kneeling, low standing, and high standing, and makes it really comfortable. Tripod as rear support with a bipod up front is also extremely stable, with no bag needed.

Tripods are an incredibly huge advantage if you know how to use one.
Sure. But I can tell you people don’t always practice with tripods. The only match I’ve been to where there was a tripod stage, people did not do well. So yeah you can say it’s too easy to bother with but then why have prone stages either.

I think the last paragraph is where this needs to go. Have better designed stages or matches.

Bring whatever you would like, but good luck.

If you want to discourage “gamer” rifles write the match so a heavy gun is a disadvantage on a few stages. In the end a well rounded rifle would be desirable.

You could do the same with COF intent. Say 9/10 stages are to be shot as written and 1/10 is a designated gamer stage. Anything goes.

A couple weak side off hand stages should take care of that. Maybe add a sling only.

Reactions: JBoomhauer
I'd do it, but the caveat would be the stages would also have to be practical in design.

No shooting off a floating platform, wobbly barricade, or bag full of beach balls.

Ideally, and to make it more practical, you would have a designated area to shoot in, or some kind of marker that would have to be within arms reach when in the shooting position, and let the shooter decide how they want to shoot the stage. For example, if they decide to shoot it prone, but the tall grass or sagebrush obscures some of the targets, and forces the shooter to engage said targets in another position, and they can choose what works better for them. A tripod, longer bipod legs, sitting position, or use the top of that rock that's in arms reach.

These contrived stages in a lot of these NRL/PRS matches are nothing more than a circus, and no reasonable person would ever shoot some of these stages in real life. Forcing someone to shoot off of five different tree branches, with 12-rounds in 90 seconds, at full size IPSC targets at 300-yards is not precision, practical in nature, or does it make them a better marksman. Nor is it fair for someone that's 5'-2" and the tallest branch is at 5'-5". Yes, I've seen that at a match, and the MDs solution is give them a step stool or a hard case to stand on.
Let's make the targets smaller, and put them further out to make it challenging.

As far as suppressors, you know not everyone can own one, for example those living in California. I know there are people who wouldn't shoot without a suppressor, or on a suppressor only squad because they are concerned with their hearing. I personally don't care about not allowing suppressors, as I would shoot my 18-lbs 6BRA or 6.5x47 without a suppressor or brake, and still be competitive.

I think limiting it to one, and only one bag is reasonable. If you want a big pump pillow, and it's not ideal for shooting prone, well that's the choice you make. Pick your poison.

Last edited:
Yes, I would play, with 1 exception. I wouldn't shoot it if I can't use a can. Nor would I bring my kids to shoot it with out the can.
Make it fit within the weight limit, or even a lighter mandatory weight with the can, but I don't want to listen the rifle on the line when I have another option. My $.02

If it were being 100% practical, it would be a rear bag, tripod, bipod, sling and your pack. That’s about what most anyone carries at work.

And then everything would be shot off a tripod or modified prone. With the occasional rifle tossed on a pack or jacket on top of a car or something. With most everything being off a tripod as there really isn’t much you can’t do with one and is now the most important piece of kit on a working rifle.

That’s what really happens in the real world. But this isn’t that. There are things like mammoth, SH Cup, Team Sniper Challenge, etc etc which already do this.

People also like the current aspect of using a bag on props, so this is a hybrid. Something that allowed them to continue to use the popular strategy while still adding in things that require rock solid fundamentals.
Not sure where you're going with this as I didn't say anything about what anyone carries to work. I'm talking specifically about a 1 bag rule forcing someone to use more gear than they would if they were allowed to use two small bags. We've got guys that use our Recon Micro and run into this. Most guys are carrying 6-8 LB Gamechangers around and the brass is telling our guys that they can't use a 10 oz arca bag and a 1lb rear bag because "One bag rule, bud". So this forces them to stop trying to use more fundamentals and less gear and go in the opposite direction.

Not sure where you're going with this as I didn't say anything about what anyone carries to work. I'm talking specifically about a 1 bag rule forcing someone to use more gear than they would if they were allowed to use two small bags. We've got guys that use our Recon Micro and run into this. Most guys are carrying 6-8 LB Gamechangers around and the brass is telling our guys that they can't use a 10 oz arca bag and a 1lb rear bag because "One bag rule, bud". So this forces them to stop trying to use more fundamentals and less gear and go in the opposite direction.
In a lot of situations two small bags will be more stable than one large one, so I’m not sure I agree. No bags, no arguments, right? 😂

@Dthomas3523 maybe I missed it, but where do gamer plates fit in? I.e. the Gray Ops is aluminum but has provisions to add brass weights. You know where I'm going with this, take a steel plate and tap 2 holes for an Arca clamp, and you've got a 10# weight add to your rifle that "isn't attached."

I shoot suppressed 100% of the time at matches, but my first season I shot with a bare muzzle while I waited for my paperwork to get approved. I think people are seriously forgetting how quiet a bare muzzle is compared to a modern 3 or 4-port brake. It's pretty crazy actually. No, it isn't -27dB quiet like a suppressor, but it is noticeably quieter especially when considering there is zero gas or concussion towards the rear or sides.

Reactions: Alpine 338
@Dthomas3523 maybe I missed it, but where do gamer plates fit in? I.e. the Gray Ops is aluminum but has provisions to add brass weights. You know where I'm going with this, take a steel plate and tap 2 holes for an Arca clamp, and you've got a 10# weight add to your rifle that "isn't attached."

I shoot suppressed 100% of the time at matches, but my first season I shot with a bare muzzle while I waited for my paperwork to get approved. I think people are seriously forgetting how quiet a bare muzzle is compared to a modern 3 or 4-port brake. It's pretty crazy actually. No, it isn't -27dB quiet like a suppressor, but it is noticeably quieter especially when considering there is zero gas or concussion towards the rear or sides.

I guess if I were enforcing a 20-lb rule, then it would be anything and everything you can attach to the rifle that you anticipate or plan on using in the match, minus a loaded magazine.

Otherwise, you would have those people attaching weighted (gamer) plates, lead filled bipod legs, etc. to the rifle during the match.

For those who refuse to shoot a match without a suppressor: do you shoot any matches now? In my experience noise from other rifles is worse than that from behind my own.
Yes, we, the entire family, shoot many matches across the northwest each year. Too many years shooting events with a bare muzzle or a break, I have zero interest to shoot a stage without the can. The noise can suck off the line, but it is not the same as shooting the stage. It is simply my opinion on what I will and won't do. There are old threads here where I argued all shooting events shoot allow breaks, b/c "they aren't that bad". Times change

There's generally suppressor only squads. Most people I shoot with run suppressed. Except .22 lr. Most are moving away from suppressed but most shoot subsonic ammo and it's .22 lr. I'm assuming the same for centerfire but replacing with really good brakes.

No suppressor, no go for me. And a 6 caliber essentially eliminates recoil so I see zero benefit to the no can, no brake rule unless you also limit calibers below 6.5.

Free recoil a 6 without a muzzle device.

A 6 hardly “eliminates” recoil.

I guess if I were enforcing a 20-lb rule, then it would be anything and everything you can attach to the rifle that you anticipate or plan on using in the match, minus a loaded magazine.

Otherwise, you would have those people attaching weighted (gamer) plates, lead filled bipod legs, etc. to the rifle during the match.

No plates or any attachments allowed at all anytime. No bags attached to the rifle, nothing. If people get cute and started shooting BR width stocks, I’d put a limit on the width too.

And always a disclaimer what the intent is (to make sure the shooter is being tested more than the equipment) saying anything the MD deems against this won’t be allowed.

Any match lawyers wanting to try “well, it doesn’t say I can’t use xyz” will be politely given the option to not use the item or leave.

“And always a disclaimer what the intent is (to make sure the shooter is being tested more than the equipment) saying anything the MD deems against this won’t be allowed.”
This is a great idea, I think a lot of people miss what the point of what a “Different” stage is actually about. They then call it a stupid stage and move on without a clue.

Free recoil a 6 without a muzzle device.

A 6 hardly “eliminates” recoil.
I didn't post to argue with you. I assumed you understood what I meant by "essentially". But you are technically correct.

You asked, I obliged. I'll ride on now. 🤠

Absofuckinglutely.

I would love to shoot a match like this. I would use my unbraked .308 for something like this, I think it would be a lot of fun.

I also want to see more suppressed only matches, but I understand the disclusionary logistics around that. One could always team up with a suppressor company to provide loaner suppressors, like SiCo and the Quiet Riot, but I get why MD's and suppressor companies may have little appetite for that.

I didn't post to argue with you. I assumed you understood what I meant by "essentially". But you are technically correct.

You asked, I obliged. I'll ride on now. 🤠

I didn’t ask you anything except if you would shoot it.

Not for you to make some false statement because you want to cry about using your suppressor.

If your statement was anywhere in the same universe as correct, everyone (myself included) wouldn’t be running 4 and 5 port brakes on their 6’s that “essentially” eliminate recoil.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope

Gamer plates are dumb as fuck. I wish all leagues would ban them.

Our disciplines should be about testing the shooter, not turning this into barricade benchrest.

Reactions: tnc

Our disciplines should be about testing the shooter, not turning this into barricade benchrest.

I don’t have an issue with them generally. But there’s plenty of opportunity to use them elsewhere.

I wouldn’t take offense to anyone not shooting a match I put on. However, if you come to a match that’s obviously something different and try to turn it into what you want instead of what the MD wants.......you’re an asshole and need to go.

And at this point, it’s a two way street. Don’t go to a match that’s basically barricade benchrest and complain. We know what we are getting into when we sign up.

I don’t have an issue with them generally. But there’s plenty of opportunity to use them elsewhere.

I wouldn’t take offense to anyone not shooting a match I put on. However, if you come to a match that’s obviously something different and try to turn it into what you want instead of what the MD wants.......you’re an asshole and need to go.

And at this point, it’s a two way street. Don’t go to a match that’s basically barricade benchrest and complain. We know what we are getting into when we sign up.

Agreed 100%. I don't doubt the utility of a gamer plate - but I hate it when the discipline turns more into testing the equipment (like benchrest) over testing the shooter. It goes against the history and roots of where our discipline came from, but I digress.

I love the idea of your match proposal. I haven't matches in a while because of the direction the sport is heading, amongst other things, but a match such as the one you are proposing would make me interested in shooting matches again.

No plates or any attachments allowed at all anytime. No bags attached to the rifle, nothing. If people get cute and started shooting BR width stocks, I’d put a limit on the width too.

And always a disclaimer what the intent is (to make sure the shooter is being tested more than the equipment) saying anything the MD deems against this won’t be allowed.

Any match lawyers wanting to try “well, it doesn’t say I can’t use xyz” will be politely given the option to not use the item or leave.
So we can carry a 8lb bag but not attach a 10oz arca bag..... See how rules can defeat the purpose of the whole deal? If we’re trying to find the shooter with the best fundamentals this is bass ackwards.

You know if you have less rules, then you have less people trying to circumnavigate rules (gaming). If you have less gaming, then you have less drama.

No one is losing a match because of a gamer plate. Why do you care if people run them? If you're so against them, start up your own league that bans them. Otherwise it's complaining that won't change a thing.

Reactions: Juggerxxx
No one is losing a match because of a gamer plate. Why do you care if people run them? If you're so against them, start up your own league that bans them. Otherwise it's complaining that won't change a thing.

I don't care as much as my post let's on. I don't spend any time worrying about what other people use. Do I think they are lame? Yes. Do I think they take skill out of a stage? Absolutely.

But I don't shoot to stand on top of a podium or to amass a bunch of jerseys to fill a closet. I shoot to make myself a better shooter, have fun, and meet new people.

I think gamer plates water down our sport, but if that's what people want to use, then they can have at it. As long as they are within the rules, who cares what a stranger on the internet thinks about them.

I see what you mean about the 25 arguing about what the two used and vice-versa. Run your match, it'll either develop a following or fade away but stick to your guns. Of course, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that.

Reactions: RG0099
For those who refuse to shoot a match without a suppressor: do you shoot any matches now? In my experience noise from other rifles is worse than that from behind my own.
Yep, as much as I possibly can. Several pro 2-day matches and a bunch of club level stuff every year. I shot part of one season with a brake and you’ll never see me use one ever again. And I can hold my own when I’m not making dumbass mistakes. It blows my mind that people are willing to risk permanent hearing damage in return for less recoil. Talk about a crutch!

Reactions: OREGUN
I'm going to start using one of these at matches. Haul me and all my gear.

59594.jpeg

I think the last paragraph is where this needs to go. Have better designed stages or matches.

Bring whatever you would like, but good luck.

If you want to discourage “gamer” rifles write the match so a heavy gun is a disadvantage on a few stages. In the end a well rounded rifle would be desirable.

You could do the same with COF intent. Say 9/10 stages are to be shot as written and 1/10 is a designated gamer stage. Anything goes.
First, and foremost, is that whatever transpires in terms of newer COF's being developed, safety has to be the primary focus.

Although I do not completely disagree with what you're suggesting @JBoomhauer, my only concern would be for driving the MD's crazy. Developing COF's that are fun and challenging is already difficult enough when all gear is considered. I think if you still say "any gear goes, but good luck," you're kind of leaving a heavy burden on MD's to then develop COF's that really fuck with people and their gear. It is great to see, but I know folks can get burned out just trying to develop basic COF's.

At the end of the day, we still need the COF's to be fun...you don't want to make them so obtuse that it ends up being more frustrating than anything else. You have many ranges where barricades and what not have already been established. Personally, I think restricting hardware is the easiest thing to do.

Lastly, the RO's need to be considered as well. I've RO'ed numerous "national-level" and local comps, and I can say one thing...there is nothing more frustrating than when you're trying to manage a stage that has a rather confusing set of standards and target arrays. It pisses the RO's and shooters off and ends up not being a good time.

Obviously, I could be dead fucking wrong in what I'm saying, but I keep trying to view this issue as a competitor, RO and MD. And I sure as hell hope it is all as clear as mud ;)

I personally really like everything except the muzzle device part. I understand your reasoning, I just don't shoot bare muzzle on anything anymore so it's not really "practical" for me personally. It would not stop me from trying out a match like this though!

I wish there was more limits to shoot for in this "sport". When competing its hard to not fall into the weight, bag, plates, light trigger, latest and greatest craze. A set of guides to build a gun towards would be nice. If you crave competition it's hard to show up with a practical gun knowing you'll be at a disadvantage right off the bat. Just my .02

I personally really like everything except the muzzle device part. I understand your reasoning, I just don't shoot bare muzzle on anything anymore so it's not really "practical" for me personally. It would not stop me from trying out a match like this though!

I wish there was more limits to shoot for in this "sport". When competing its hard to not fall into the weight, bag, plates, light trigger, latest and greatest craze. A set of guides to build a gun towards would be nice. If you crave competition it's hard to show up with a practical gun knowing you'll be at a disadvantage right off the bat. Just my .02

If I allowed muzzle brakes, then I have to limit weight. Then I lose a lot of shooters who don’t have a rifle that meets the weight. More than I lose for shooting bare muzzle.

As for practical.......train harder than you fight. If you learn to control recoil without a brake, you’ll perform even better with your brake when it’s time for that real life shot.

First, and foremost, is that whatever transpires in terms of newer COF's being developed, safety has to be the primary focus.

Although I do not completely disagree with what you're suggesting @JBoomhauer, my only concern would be for driving the MD's crazy. Developing COF's that are fun and challenging is already difficult enough when all gear is considered. I think if you still say "any gear goes, but good luck," you're kind of leaving a heavy burden on MD's to then develop COF's that really fuck with people and their gear. It is great to see, but I know folks can get burned out just trying to develop basic COF's.

At the end of the day, we still need the COF's to be fun...you don't want to make them so obtuse that it ends up being more frustrating than anything else. You have many ranges where barricades and what not have already been established. Personally, I think restricting hardware is the easiest thing to do.

Lastly, the RO's need to be considered as well. I've RO'ed numerous "national-level" and local comps, and I can say one thing...there is nothing more frustrating than when you're trying to manage a stage that has a rather confusing set of standards and target arrays. It pisses the RO's and shooters off and ends up not being a good time.

Obviously, I could be dead fucking wrong in what I'm saying, but I keep trying to view this issue as a competitor, RO and MD. And I sure as hell hope it is all as clear as mud ;)
First I think you have to ask what is the goal of imposing the gear restrictions?

If the goal is to create a better shooter, I would argue that you are forcing them to comply and not teaching them why certain gear does not work for certain situations. The best way to learn is to fail a bunch.

Having these cookie cutter everyone is happy stages do not test the shooter. They certainly do not let lend themselves to building new skills.

In my opinion well thought out stages that reinforce fundamentals will do far more for the shooter than forcing certain equipment

The stages do not have to be over the top or contrived, just be well rounded and have a purpose.

Reactions: Alpine 338
I think it’s odd there aren’t at least a few stages in PRS matches where you shoot directly off a tripod. It would be boring if a lot of them allowed it but the matches I’ve shot almost never do, and it seems like something you’d want to include if it’s a real world skill.

Already in works. Going to likely have a tripod stage every or every other match.

First I think you have to ask what is the goal of imposing the gear restrictions?

If the goal is to create a better shooter, I would argue that you are forcing them to comply and not teaching them why certain gear does not work for certain situations. The best way to learn is to fail a bunch.

Having these cookie cutter everyone is happy stages do not test the shooter. They certainly do not let lend themselves to building new skills.

In my opinion well thought out stages that reinforce fundamentals will do far more for the shooter than forcing certain equipment

The stages do not have to be over the top or contrived, just be well rounded and have a purpose.

Been tried. The only way to build a match to cut out heavy gear is to include rucking/walking. Or have matches with 3+ minute stages. Both will cut the attendance drastically.

For 90s and 2min stages. Most anything can tough out using a 22lb rifle and 8lb bag.

You have to make things damn near trivial to eliminate it when running the prs type matches.

If you give me any “well thought out” stages that can be done in two min, I’ll be able to do every single one of them with a 22lb gamer gun.

Restricting gear is the equivalent of adding in long movements where people would self restrict gear.

Reactions: Gleedus
If you give me any “well thought out” stages that can be done in two min, I’ll be able to do every single one of them with a 22lb gamer gun.

Restricting gear is the equivalent of adding in long movements where people would self restrict gear.
Well then it sounds like a 22lb gamer gun is the most efficient tool for that task for you.

The goal of having gear restrictions is simple: you can take already-existing barricades, COF's, and make them even more challenging. I don't believe reinventing the wheel is wholly necessary.

If the stage is to shoot an 8" plate at 250 yards offhand, and you allow all gear. Guess what happens? Here comes the fucking waterbeds and sofas. I guess I'm having trouble seeing how you could develop an entire COF, call it 8-10 stages, allow all gear, and not have the stages be "well rounded and have a purpose."

Next, you indicated that the goal is to create a better shooter, which I would argue is not the goal. Sure, it may be a part of it, but I don't believe it is the only goal. I would say the goal is to be safe and have fun.

Also, you stated that the stages do not have to be over the top or contrived, but they actually would if you allowed all gear. That's kind of the point here...this is the shit we're dealing with now in this thread, is it not?

The one thing you can do to fuck with people and the gear without making stages overly complex or obtuse, is short par times. However, I've done that, and anyone who has, will attest to the fact that COF's with short par times are frustrating at worst, maddening at best. At the end of the day, that makes the thing that should be fun, not fun at all.

There will always be people who do like something. The vast majority will show up and shoot if they can. 95% are attending a social event interrupted by gunfire.
Run the match how you want. Those that don’t want to shoot it won’t. The rest will if able to. Now I need to go find a thread protector for my barrel.

So here's my honest take. I'm local (Houston) but I'd want to shoot my AI with suppressor. I don't care what trigger I use but I always shoot suppressed and I'd shoot 6.5cm or 308 with no preference long as I can run a can.

No idea what my rifle weights but I'm not gaming anything. One bag is fine with me.

I do prefer my AO Chassis AI to anything else but if I needed to shoot a stock chassis Im fine with that as well.

I think a simple common sense rule would be all that's needed or throw my scores out for all I care. I just want to be around like minded individuals and improve. I think the biggest thing is changing the culture back to Tiger Valley/Rifles Only/Or current CD type matches.

Well then it sounds like a 22lb gamer gun is the most efficient tool for that task for you.

Go make your own match that doesn’t involve rucking. Make stages you think aren’t trivial but will slow down the current gamer rifles and make no restrictions.

Report back how it works out for you.

I’d be in for it, but only if you changed to allow suppressors. I get that everyone doesn’t have one, but I think we should be encouraging everyone with a rifle to get one. I shoot matches suppressed, even though I know my rifle will have less recoil if I shot with only a brake.

You said yourself that you should practice for “when it’s time for that real life shot.” Any and all real life shots I’ve made over the last several years have been with a can on my rifle.

223 not allowed, 224 Valk ok? And are loudeners ok if pin and welded?

EFE3399B-1625-4C4A-9D23-77FC78F0C395.png

why not just provide rifle, ammo, bags, and everything then the match can be exactly how you want.

So, the goal is to test skills and such that used to be tested a lot, and now with bags and rifles being used.....the shooter is being almost removed from the equation.

(I am **NOT** saying current matches are bad. They are fun. Not debating that).

I also want shooters to be able to use their current setup with only a little/easy modification.

So, would you shoot a match with following restrictions:

20lb rifle weight limit (scope and such included)
Only one bag for the entire match (same bag for everything)
8lb bag limit (no larger than pump pillow)
1.5lb minimum trigger weight
No muzzle devices (no cans or brakes)

To explain further, the removal of brakes alleviates the need to set a weight limit like 16lbs. Many shooters only have one comp gun and they can’t get it below 20lbs without major changes or another rifle. The recoil added from no break would take the place of a lower weight restriction.
In addition to the restrictions you listed, I’d say implement an even more stringent weight limit, maybe 15 pounds. The idea behind weight seems to be to make it easier to spot your shots. Even a 20 pound 6mm helps in that regard even without a muzzle device. I know folks might only own one match gun but perhaps they’d like to shoot such a match with their hunting rifle. Maybe consider putting significant emphasis on 1st round hits with fewer points for 2nd round or later hits with negative points for a wounding shot.

John