• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Wow .. IR 30mm Filter . I did not know

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    Got a 30mm IR filter to screw onto the PVS14 Obj. from 'Aaron' at Night Combat Solutions .
    5 hours after I got it, I screwed it on and in ten minutes I took it out to the fields for a quick call . No Moon, Just Stars and hayed fields . These particular fields are always good for coyotes but has mild Hwy. traffic on two directions, and a Mill off in the distance about a mile out that runs 24-hr. with a lot big watt halogen or sodium vapor bulbs in there yard .
    1-k acres, Prime field area's for coyote traffic & hunting & I been taking culling a few coyotes out of for 6 years off and on . Super Great Den area's near by 'BUT' there was always been a lot of very annoying ambient pollution bloom when looking in specific viewing angle directions when hunting . Enough to make it a not relaxing hunt at time looking in certain direction when scanning and also you end-up just avoiding area's to do set-ups to call because of shitty bloom glares pissing you off .
    That 30mm IR Filter over the Obj. ( took the edge off ) of the bloom, just mellowed and cooled-off the whole area in all the distant polluted directions of viewing . Distant Hwy. traffic tail & headlight plus the viewing bloom off lights at big wood Mill off about a mile away in the other direction . You still just cant stare at the big industrial area but IR filter helps 'cut the Crap' .

Will basically sum-up this Post with .
    It Does not matter if your Tube is hand-select Gen.3, with having Autogated circuitry and with also having manual gain control . Those 30mm IR screw-on filters are a tiny amazingly ' Solid Additional tool ' to aid quality of the projected image you are see . All I can say is I wish I had known and had one of these simple little Obj. Filters years ago . I Did not know what I was missing till now .

Yup, I have give PVS-14s and never take the Filter off any of them.
    -
    Ya before I went home I went back to where I parked the truck in a little 50 acre spot with no ambient anywhere except star to relax and give Filter a checkout . I used PVS14 with and without IR filter. also with & without shining Illum. supplement . pvs14 did not loose much with the IR lens over the Obj. .
    Really hard to make a good guess on effect of percentage lost of peak light (proton) gathering but it was very little . But 90% of my coyote hunting is in valley farmlands and almost always pretty dark . and I usually dont even like going out if Moon is bigger than a Half . I prefer hunting like last night when the moons dumped & not coming-up, Darker the better .
    So I probably leave IR filter on all the time 'except' those nights when It's total cloud ceiling and Zero ambient .

Those 720nm filters never come off mine. They also dim 5mw red lasers and non-NV EOTech and Aimpoints enough that they won't hurt your tube. A 5mw red laser has no bloom at 10 yards and is good out to 100 with no extra IR. I also put a 850nm filter in front of my IR illuminators to kill the dull red glow and they work great too.

haha I had one of the 720nm filters "fall" off my pvs-14. Insufficient thread engagement. Looking for a version with more thread engagement.

I'm surprised they are not far more popular. I ordered one of every kind I could find so that when they come in I can test to find out which has the best image, least degradation, most secure attachment, and holds the 3x the most securely. Then, when I get that figured out, I'll carry that one. The Zomei's work great for the price but they do not have enough thread engagement length to sufficiently support the 3x magnifier. So, If you are not running a magnifier, it's a good, cheap option. Hoya's are identical as far as image goes from what I have seen. Sometimes to narrow down which one is best, taking pics through them helps. Some reduce bloom more than others, from both vis and IR light sources, and some have much more image quality degradation than others. All the Chinese ones I have used have been crappy in the image department, minus the Zomei's. Hoya's are Japanese and are good for the price too, but the threads seem to vary some, and they can be a touch harder to find at any given time.

If you already have larger ones that you use for photography, you can get stepdown adaptors to make them work. Also, if you are in to photography, using an IR filter with your camera in the day can make for some cool pictures, and will show some stuff you don't see without the filter.

As a night vision dealer, I put them on everything. I have too many people who are ignorant of NV handling my gear at times, and it is not uncommon to find a unit turned on with the pin hole cover off at shows and demo's...which hurts the ole profit margin a little when a nice tube gets destroyed!

Last edited:
    ncorry - Where'd you get the SkyPup recommended 850nm filter that fits the TLR-1 IR (saw that on ARFCOM)? Just getting set up in NV and hoping the wife took the TLR-1 IR birthday present hint I dropped (well.. e-mailed)..

Are these filters primarily for well-lit areas that might produce blooming, or are they helpful even in the middle of nowhere with poor illumination?

Are these filters primarily for well-lit areas that might produce blooming, or are they helpful even in the middle of nowhere with poor illumination?

They do still benefit, just not as much. Knowing your PVS-14, it would be a good idea to have one just as insurance for a tube of that quality! I hope it's making you smile!

Sounds like my old buddy Delta is going to need to hook me up with a set. Send me some info on them when you get a moment free!

I'm surprised they are not far more popular. I ordered one of every kind I could find so that when they come in I can test to find out which has the best image, least degradation, most secure attachment, and holds the 3x the most securely. Then, when I get that figured out, I'll carry that one. The Zomei's work great for the price but they do not have enough thread engagement length to sufficiently support the 3x magnifier. So, If you are not running a magnifier, it's a good, cheap option. Hoya's are identical as far as image goes from what I have seen. Sometimes to narrow down which one is best, taking pics through them helps. Some reduce bloom more than others, from both vis and IR light sources, and some have much more image quality degradation than others. All the Chinese ones I have used have been crappy in the image department, minus the Zomei's. Hoya's are Japanese and are good for the price too, but the threads seem to vary some, and they can be a touch harder to find at any given time.

If you already have larger ones that you use for photography, you can get stepdown adaptors to make them work. Also, if you are in to photography, using an IR filter with your camera in the day can make for some cool pictures, and will show some stuff you don't see without the filter.

As a night vision dealer, I put them on everything. I have too many people who are ignorant of NV handling my gear at times, and it is not uncommon to find a unit turned on with the pin hole cover off at shows and demo's...which hurts the ole profit margin a little when a nice tube gets destroyed!
    Good deal! When you find out what one works the best,I will pick one up from you.

This is the exact one I got, but the one Delta linked to would work too. 30mm 30 mm Infrared Infra Red IR Filter 850nm 850 New | eBay

Thanks.. does the illuminator filter actually screw into the TLR-1 IR, or do you have to cut the ring off and slide the lens behind the existing TLR-1 lens? Or other?

On the 720nm subject filter, you mention that it dims the 5mw red laser, I assume there's only minor (if any) reduction to an IR laser since it's at the higher wavelength?

OK .. The IR filter does some weird stuff not expected .

So I whip-out one of the rifles curious to check and see if the power control of the illuminated Ret. in my scope will power-down in dimness enough to not Bloom and overpower and be to bright for my PVS14 when looking threw it .
    Turned on the Reticle and thought ...'shit my battery dead' ,it would not power-up and I did not shine . Found out that the IR filter on the NV, 100% blocks-out my 'Green illuminated' Ret. in my USoptics sn-3 .

There are also a few LED yard lights of different colors ( Red, Blue, Yellow ) scattered around in my backyard of the house and IR filter 100% blocks all illumination of these lights .

OK .. The IR filter does some weird stuff not expected .

So I whip-out one of the rifles curious to check and see if the power control of the illuminated Ret. in my scope will power-down in dimness enough to not Bloom and overpower and be to bright for my PVS14 when looking threw it .
    Turned on the Reticle and thought ...'shit my battery dead' ,it would not power-up and I did not shine . Found out that the IR filter on the NV, 100% blocks-out my 'Green illuminated' Ret. in my USoptics sn-3 .

There are also a few LED yard lights of different colors ( Red, Blue, Yellow ) scattered around in my backyard of the house and IR filter 100% blocks all illumination of these lights .
    LED's don't have much spill into other wavelengths, so green's are completely blocked, as are many other colors. One of the great things about IR filters that most people haven't thought of yet is the ability to run your pvs-14 with a non-night vision EOTech. So, you can get away with running the old 512 you already have, or pick one up for almost half the price of an XPS if you are on a budget. Of course the newer EOTechs are well worth the money!

Oh yeah, I mentioned that I ordered a bunch of different filters to try out and report back. I ordered 2 of each. The first two Hoya filters I ordered came in and they were the same Zomei's that I already had. They work great but they are not deep enough to securely hold the 3x magnifier. That is the second time this has happened. Lets hope it's not a trend! I'll report back as the rest of them arrive.

Thanks.. does the illuminator filter actually screw into the TLR-1 IR, or do you have to cut the ring off and slide the lens behind the existing TLR-1 lens? Or other?

On the 720nm subject filter, you mention that it dims the 5mw red laser, I assume there's only minor (if any) reduction to an IR laser since it's at the higher wavelength?

The 850 nm 30mm filter is sandwiched between two aluminum rings when you take it out of hte package. You can unscrew the rings and will have the filter material left. I can't remember if I removed the TLR's lens and replaced it with the filter or if I put the filter behind the lens, but I do remember that it was a perfect fit.

On the 720nm filter, its affect on the .7mW red laser is very minimal in my experience.

LED's don't have much spill into other wavelengths, so green's are completely blocked, as are many other colors. One of the great things about IR filters that most people haven't thought of yet is the ability to run your pvs-14 with a non-night vision EOTech. So, you can get away with running the old 512 you already have, or pick one up for almost half the price of an XPS if you are on a budget. Of course the newer EOTechs are well worth the money!
    -
    One thing I got to say is how Nice the LED ' Green ' Illuminated Ret. looked in-front of the NV ( Without IR Filter used ) .
    Dont know what wavelength that USoptics uses in there newer push-button rheostat controlled Illumination Ret. system . But that GREEN is is Superbly matched to NV . No filter used and was not even set at the units lowest/dim setting . was NO bloom and not overpowering to NV . It was outstanding definition of Ret. and with the fine-line subtension markings also when looking at it .

I never bothered to ever check this scope model till now with NV behind it . I have had Green illum. for few years and the Scope is only used daytime LR shooting so I was real surprised . Don't know if it Accident or on Purpose by USOptics, on how compatible Green Illum. Ret. matched-up to NV .

Softcock, funny you mention this. US Optics is pretty close to us and they stop by periodically. Late last year they brought a blue LED lit ret. and it was the most effective color I've experienced with NV. I was REALLY surprised by this and it was specifically built at the request of a customer. I do now know the make of the exact scope they brought out, but customers can request this option. I was amazingly relaxing to my eye without taking away from any target indetifiers.

I hope to get another's USO built up by years end with this reticle they showed off. I felt it was that good.

Vic

Softcock, funny you mention this. US Optics is pretty close to us and they stop by periodically. Late last year they brought a blue LED lit ret. and it was the most effective color I've experienced with NV. I was REALLY surprised by this and it was specifically built at the request of a customer. I do now know the make of the exact scope they brought out, but customers can request this option. I was amazingly relaxing to my eye without taking away from any target indetifiers.

I hope to get another's USO built up by years end with this reticle they showed off. I felt it was that good.

Vic
    -
    I would like to see a Blue color LED Ret.. IF its better that the Green illuminated ? . It looked really good.
    It surprised the hell out of me No way way I expecting the Green Not to overpower the NV and bloom-out when 1st looked at it .
    The Finer lined Ret. I have in my sn3 really needs to be lite . Not like a nice thicker bold Duplex or Milldot Ret. as you dont necessarily need a lite Ret with NV .

-
    I would like to see a Blue color LED Ret.. IF its better that the Green illuminated ? . It looked really good.
    It surprised the hell out of me No way way I expecting the Green Not to overpower the NV and bloom-out when 1st looked at it .
    The Finer lined Ret. I have in my sn3 really needs to be lite . Not like a nice thicker bold Duplex or Milldot Ret. as you dont necessarily need a lite Ret with NV .

Not sure on their green as the new scope they brought for our use was a red Ret. and I could not keep the blue they brought for demo. Guess now would be time to order it for Christmas with their long lead times. :) I will post some pics when I get this, along with a green demo if they have another at that time.

Not sure on their green as the new scope they brought for our use was a red Ret. and I could not keep the blue they brought for demo. Guess now would be time to order it for Christmas with their long lead times. :) I will post some pics when I get this, along with a green demo if they have another at that time.

-
    I actually grabbed the rifle with Green USo Ret.last night and stuck some IR on it . Took it out to a hayed field with a big half-moon to do some looking threw it with pvs14 behind it .
    After spending an hour of glassing, I can see where the Blue LED would be even better . Green LED kicks butt, but BLUE would be a little darker tone of color and overlay on top of targets even little better . You should definitely take a hard look and possible purchase of there Blue Illum. if you can .
    back to the conversation of the 30mm IR Filter.
    I am really digging it now . Moons getting bigger and the cleared Hayed Fields are to damn bright and reflective . I turn the manual-gain down some but that IR Filter takes and cuts the bright reflection glare to a whole new level of viewing comfort .