• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wow , Just Wow

eddieo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2005
The Old Sod
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Breen

Just now I met the grandson of this man who is one of the most historically significant figures of The War of Independence.

This man led one of the most successful flying columns against the British troops and Black & Tans during one of the most bloody periods of Irish history . He was one of the most successful Irish Rebel commanders in history .

What just made it , was that he let me handle the gold signet ring which belonged to his grandfather and which is inscribed with his initials . I got a photo of it but can't post it for some reason off my phone . If anyone can do it from a computer could you drop me a pm with a reply email address and I will send it to you .

Let me put this in context . I would equate the ring with an American handling the pen that signed the Declaration of Imdependence .

Re: Wow , Just Wow

Here ya go, Eddieo,

Eddieo-Ring-.jpg

Wow ! I can now say I held in my own hands the ring that belonged to one of the greatest Irish Revolutionaries ever

Send it to me and I will do an investigation on it to infact tell if it is the real deal
secret.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tac22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Send it to me and I will do an investigation on it to infact tell if it is the real deal
secret.gif
</div></div>

Unfortunately I don't have the ring . He only let me touch it . That itself was such a great honour for me . The tactics of Dan Breen and his flying columns are still taught at the Irish army military college at The Curragh Co Kildare .

I mean , when the Tans came to Ireland they had a particularly brutal reputation for some of the atrocities they committed against the civilian populations but it was thanks to the strategic thinking of Breen that ensured that the majority of the time during the war of independence in Ireland that the Tans remained largely holed up in barracks . He inflicted massive casualties on them anytime they ventured out , which when they did , was largely enmasse and even at that their convoys were attacked at every opportunity with any stunning successes .

Breen was one of the main strategists wh Michael Collins relied upon for advice as he was GOC of the Irish Forces at the time . During that time Breen had te second largest bounty on his head next to Collins and Harry Boland who served as director of Intelligence .

Guys I swear to god the significance of that ring is just , well it can't be counted in terms of anything that I can describe adequately .

Let me give you an even comparable example . Say you have the original pen which signed the Declaration of Independence or the chair that Washington sat on when he signed it ... Think of that !

In many of the later interviews which Breen gave in the 1950's and 60's he was asked where and how he drew his inspiration from during that period . He was regularly quoted as saying that his own parents though dirt poor told him in details of the activities and struggles of the so called Rebels of The United States of America fight against British Rule ...Breen believed passionately in the US Second Amendment .

Guys im in heaven at the moment . Never before did I would ever think something as amazi g as what occurred to me wait would ever happen. Imagine if one of you was ever given the opportunity to hold and physically touch such an historically significant simar item ...

Thanks for posting that Eddieo. It's always nice to see some historic artifacts, espcially when its your own history!