• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wow!!!! My dog can see good!!

Skeptic1

Heavy Horseman
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2019
Central NC
I was watching my plott hound track something in the sky today. I walked out in the back yard to see what she saw. There was a jet, at least 30k feet up, that she was watching. I had to look for a good while to find it and just barely could see it when I found it.

you sure as hell hope it has good eyes and an even better nose and ears don't want any animal waking up thinking your the enemy that must be killed in the middle of the night .

Reactions: Skeptic1
Last winter we had a power outage that lasted a few days.

the first night it was almost pitch black dark.

Out of boredom I tossed my 5 year old German Shepherd one of his Costco mini burger treats, which he caught with no trouble.

I could barely see where he was in the dark, and damn sure couldn't see the little dark brown treats mid-air. He finished a quarter of the bag catching them out of the air one at a time. Probably about 40 catches, no misses.

Colorvision aside, Dogs can see in the dark pretty damn good. Not sure about their daylight vision.

Last edited:
My dog often watches birds and have seen him look at up planes before. One night on deck he was barking into woods and we saw nothing. Got out the NV and sure enough some deer about 100 yards away in the darkness.

DB19EDEB-FFA0-48AA-AD0B-7166576005DB.jpeg
Skeptic1,
Must be the breed. Mine is always watching birds and shit in the sky.

My last Plott was dumb as a brick. She was a beautiful brindle and a hell of a tree dog though.
Penny is by far the smartest dog I have ever had. Pays attention to everything. Doesn't shed, has great breath, and is just wonderful all around. She makes me a better person. I love her a great deal.

Always trust the doggo. He probably heard someone open a bag of chips in seat D36
Damn, right!

I'm in upstate NY. We happened across this plotty by accident. A couple that had just had a baby was giving Miss Penny away at six months old. I'd never heard of a plott hound before actually.
We would like to find another one. We have found them but typically several hundred or thousands of miles away from us. At this point though I'd be willing to make the trip any distance to get another female. Penny is six years old now and we'd like to get another puppy while we still have Penny so that the new one can pick up as many good characteristics as possible from Miss P.

If you know where one is please let me know. Preferably a little girl! Can't believe that I've never thought to ask this on the Hide before.

Reactions: ggmanning
My female Cattle Dog will go off like mad when the buzzards fly over. On time we were out at an open air mall with her and our other one. The mall is near the airport so just as a jet is passing over she just starts barking. People just started laughing.

Dogs have a Tapetum Lucidum in the back of their eyes…Like many other mammals…But not humans
It’s a reflective surface between their optic nerve and retina, that allows rods and cone to pick up the limited amount of light available in the dark
It the reason there eyes “glow” in the dark when a light is shined at them

It allows them to see in extremely low light

Reactions: Boon20