• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wrist Dope

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    I had to drop off a dive computer this week due to a potential recall and was poking around the scuba shop waiting for the diagnosis when I found this thing and thought I'd share...

Its an underwater wrist slate that's contoured to your arm and has 2 flip-up pages. You can tape dope cards to either side and use the empty pages for notes. You write on it with a golf pencil and it can be erased with...well...freakin dirt, or whatever else is at hand. The O-rings give the pages an over-center effect to hold tha pages open/closed and the plastic seems stout enough to take a beating. Flexible velcro bands hold it to your wrist and it even includes extra o-rings. Being water-proof is a given...duh.

A yellow plastic golf pencil holder on an accordian chord was also attached but it looked gay (not that there's anything wrong with that) so I tore it off. There was also a blue "Scuba-Max" logo (also gay) that I got rid of with a magic eraser.

As an added bonus for my fellow night shooters they also offer a glow-in-the-dark version. Here's the kicker...it was only $14.

Who whouldda thunk it?

709-wd2.jpg

708-wd1.jpg

Re: Wrist Dope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Papa Zero Three</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some guys use a wrist board in the military. I've used one on occasion but its not made of plastic like the dive one you posted. They are actually a rip off from football QB arm play boards.They do work well though for what ever you need to put in them.

http://215gearstore.com/operatorswristcoach.aspx
    </div></div>
    Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I have been looking for.

I use one made by tag:
    http://www.uscav.com/ProductInfo.aspx?pr...2312d3833323437

I also stitched one of the little elastic ammo loop bands onto a piece of hook tap which lets me hold 5 rounds on the outside of the wrist band. Its not a bad little setup and is nice to have your dope handy like that. It also has enough space to carry other reference cards for instance one with mil formulas or I did a dope card up based no a 90 degree cant of the rifle for shooting urban prone in competition.

Those are some pretty good options too. Just seen one on the hide here somewhere as well. I'm gonna see how this thing works out today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Redneck version on the left hand.
    </div></div>

Heh heh...I do know that pipe well. BTDT

I use a football arm play card holder found at any sporting goods store. They will fit 3x5 cards, are cheap, and work well. If you have to shoot quickly at multiple ranges and haven't tried one then you are missing out

I have used the diving sketch boards, both the 6x8 clipboard type and the wrist type for mapping out sunken wrecks before going in to ensure I had a very good idea of what I where I needed to go if something went wrong and alternate exits if I had to ditch my gear. I found them an invaluable tool underwater and pretty darn durable, never thought of using them above water due to how bulky they felt when not on scuba.

I've used a Nike wrist coach, TYR arm board, and just got the IDB one I used hunting this weekend. The IDB is probably the best for just a range card. I like the TYR one for hunting because I can put a field sketch as well as a range card or several of either, a small map, etc. if I'm not familiar with the country. I really like the simplicity of the IDB one and it's what I'll go to as the default.

I'm probably just stating the obvious here. Though it's a great repurposing of the scuba wrist slate there and it's a great idea, durable product and water proof to boot.... it's white and would make a great target for return fire. Though you may just spray paint the outermost side with some krylon or something...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCUBA Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm probably just stating the obvious here. Though it's a great repurposing of the scuba wrist slate there and it's a great idea, durable product and water proof to boot.... it's white and would make a great target for return fire. Though you may just spray paint the outermost side with some krylon or something... </div></div>

It's for matches. I likely wouldn't want it on my arm if I was being shot at.