• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wsm on a long action?

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
Be throwing the idea of a Wsm build for quite some time. And I know there just not ideal when loading the heavies in a short action when being mag fed, and work decent in a medium action but pretty much stuck with with defiance or tikka, so I was wondering who’s done them on a long action? What action and mag system? Any feeding problems?

Reactions: Robert Gradous
Pictured below is my 300 WSM modified case and 200gr Barnes Tac LR bullets. With the base of the bullet seated right at the ideal neck/shoulder junction the OAL is 3.45” which is well into long action territory, with the bullet touching the lands in my stainless factory Salvage barrel the OAL is 2.96” which will mag feed from my Accurate Mags with the front plate drilled out. If I were looking to get max velocity I would go with a long action and if I go with a long action there are better cases to push the 200gr bullet to max velocity. I went the WSM route because I already had a large shank action and picked up a barrel for silly cheap, it is more than adequate for my intended purposes (elk) but there are better ways to push large/heavy 30 grain pills along if you are chasing MV.

YMMV

Attachments

• 4F8BB304-493E-40EA-9220-64FC2AFD2EAF.jpeg
    4F8BB304-493E-40EA-9220-64FC2AFD2EAF.jpeg
    409.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 44114CAA-837E-4F81-8C37-0DB5D15CC534.jpeg
    44114CAA-837E-4F81-8C37-0DB5D15CC534.jpeg
    437.4 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: Earnhardt
FWIW, I'm in the parts-collecting phase of a 270 WSM build on a T3 action... the intent is to run the Berger 170s. As others have mentioned, the T3 is pretty much an ideal medium length action in terms of price, quality, and weight.

Thank you everyone. I’m not really keen on going the tikka route. I’d really like an aftermarket action such as a bighorn tl3 or sr3 if a mag won’t work and have to use a bdl style. I’m fine with either but just not overly looking to do a tikka build.

What is your free bore reamer spec with these reloads?
.225 to .280"

Is SAAMI 0.0" freebore on the 300 WSM?
Thanks

I have a 300wsm in a Kelbly atlas LA action with a CADEX chassis. I have 338 CIP mag 3.850 more length then you will possibly need, but i plan to shoot 215 and want as much boiler room open for powder.

300 win mag body dia .513
300 wsm body dia .555
338 Lapua body dia .587

You have to tweak the lips on the 338 mags but they will work

TRevor

I have a 300wsm in a Kelbly atlas LA action with a CADEX chassis. I have 338 CIP mag 3.850 more length then you will possibly need, but i plan to shoot 215 and want as much boiler room open for powder.

300 win mag body dia .513
300 wsm body dia .555
338 Lapua body dia .587

You have to tweak the lips on the 338 mags but they will work

TRevor

That’s nice to know! I’m actually looking at doing a 270. Wsm build pushing the 165 matrix and 170 Berger’s with a switch barrel for 30 cal (300 win mag, 300 prc haven decided yet). I’m really looking at bighorn cause I want to try controlled round feed, but kelbly is a close second as I have a build off them now and it is fantastic action

I think the Tikka platform is perfect for the WSM. I had one in 7 SAUM that was almost perfect for a hunting rifle.

Did you use factory Tikka mags and if so how did they feed the SAUM case?
I just picked up a donor T3X in 300 Win mag to build on, have a couple Proof barrels and torn between build options: a 24” 7mm 8.4 twist which would be a 7SAUM or a 22” 6.5mm 8 twist which would be 6.5PRC or SAUM.

Have you test fitted your bullets of choice in a 270 WSM case, seated where you'd want them? To see what you'd be looking at for COAL? A 7WSM and 300WSM need long actions. A 270 may not...

On a slightly different but related topic, this reason is why I'm building a 6.5 SST. 140gr class bullets at 3100 fps + . I'd be happy with the Berger 156 at an easy 3000 flat. The reamer seats these bullets right at 2.9" +/- .020". An AICS with front straps removed will allow for 2.980". I may throat my chamber out for a 2.940" so that when I seat the bullets .020" off the lands I start with a 2.920" COAL and have .060" of chasing the lands.

The last photo with all the cases is SST center and to it's right SAUM, WSM, 284W.

I have not measured that as I don’t have any 170 gr Berger’s and don’t know anyone with them. I’d order them if I had another rifle to shoot them in. I can get the brass but don’t have the bullet. From what I understand for the neck shoulder junction to the base of the ogive it should be done in a medium-long action

Pictured below is my 300 WSM modified case and 200gr Barnes Tac LR bullets. With the base of the bullet seated right at the ideal neck/shoulder junction the OAL is 3.45” which is well into long action territory, with the bullet touching the lands in my stainless factory Salvage barrel the OAL is 2.96” which will mag feed from my Accurate Mags with the front plate drilled out. If I were looking to get max velocity I would go with a long action and if I go with a long action there are better cases to push the 200gr bullet to max velocity. I went the WSM route because I already had a large shank action and picked up a barrel for silly cheap, it is more than adequate for my intended purposes (elk) but there are better ways to push large/heavy 30 grain pills along if you are chasing MV.

YMMV

The free bore on the reamer spec is gonna have to be a mile deep with those Barnes Diggler bullets.

If youre looking for SA mag, check out the line of Sherman cartridges. I have a short throat chambered by LRI in 7mm SS and I have a mile to mag length at the jump the berger 180s preferred (which, admittdely, is a bit weird at .090", but I can get to the lands with .007-.010 of room left in the mag). They are essentially SAUM AI rounds w/ the neck/shoulder junction pushed back and a longer neck- purpose designed to run from a SA. So far everything has been fantastic with that round. Should be able to be in a node and 2850-2900 w/ that berger 180 for me (can go faster, but accuracy falls off). If any of the powders becomes available again, im going to workup a load for the berger 195 as it looks like i should be able to mag feed those as well (not a great time to be into SAUM rounds w/ H1000, Retumbo and RL26 all being fairy dust right now haha)