• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WST for 9mm ??

Longspring

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2011
Central Idaho
Wondering if anyone has used WST for 124gr 9 loads . Seems like it would be clean , burn rate is fine . I'm out of the shotgun loading and was thinking a couple of pounds of wst would really stretch on 9 loads .

Re: WST for 9mm ??

Patience, I'm sure somebody that knows what they're talking about will be along in a while...

That being said, I think WST might be too fast for 9mm. I use WS<span style="font-weight: bold">F</span> in 9 & 40, and it works pretty well for me, WST is a faster powder than WSF.

For .40S&W, the Hodgden site says anywhere from 4.4 - 7.8 grains of WS<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">F</span></span> and 3 - 5.9 grains of WS<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">T</span></span>, depending on bullet weight & desired velocity.

Moving down to 9mm, WS<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">F</span></span> is 3.7-5.7 grains. No data for WST.

Extrapolating from 40 to 9mm, the WST loads should be in the 2-4 grains range. That's really really small, and leaves very little room for error, with large possibilities of double (or more) charging without overflowing the case.

I wouldn't do it.

Stay safe!

I dont load WST myself, but some guys on ARFCOM report 5.0gr for 124gr bullets.

I like low recoil loads myself. I'm running 4.3 grains of WST the 124gr bullets. WST is my choice for 45ACP, 38 super, and 38 special as well. Love this stuff.

WST is my favorite powder for 9mm and .45. I am loading 4.2 and the precision delta 124 for range loads. WST recoils less and burns cleaner than 231. the powders are very close in burn rate.

Works very well with 147's in the 9mm too.

As previously stated please check out Brianenos.com for load data

One of the older hornday manuals listed WST load data. Need to finish my morning coffee before i go searching for the exact one.

Thanks for all the info guys . I've heard about Brian's site . I'll take a look . Seems a few guys have played with it . Thanks for the leads . Also I wasn't trying to sound impatient , somebody accused me of trying to set up a trade then removed their post .
I've heard things either way on the WST . I'd love to find a use for it even if .40 would be a better option .

A good shooting buddy of mine uses nothing but WST for his 9 and 45 loads, he said 4.5 with either a 124gr in 9 MM or a 200gr SWC in 45. same charge for both, he shoots USPSA and steel matches with those.
cheers.

See? I knew somebody would be along that knew more than me.

So much for extrapolation.
whistle.gif

Glad you got some real advice!