• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Equipment WTB: .308 Projectiles

MotoFlier

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2018
Hey guys I'm looking to work up a .308 load and would like to get a variety of weights, brands, ect in low quantities. The plan is to work up a load for target and one for hunting (Unless there is a good choice for both?). Please let me know if you got anything Thank you

Hornady ELD-X will do both thanks to that fancy red tip.

But honestly, if you're hunting with a .308, I'd venture you're more than likely doing so <400 yards and even more likely <200. Why do you need a hand load?

A person I know who hunts 100% of legal hunting season and travels to other states to do so has never fired more than a box of ammo (while hunting) a year. He has dead animals lining walls in his house from all parts of the US, New Zealand, and Africa. Never once used hand loads. Just found a round that worked.

For hunting the usual suspects, I use Federal Non-Typical 150 gr. or Federal Powershok 180 gr. Sub-MOA at 100 yards out of my Savage and Howa .308s.

Reactions: MotoFlier
For sure any off the shelf ammo would suit me just fine and is far more accurate than I'm capable of shooting. I've always wanted to learn how to reload and its just about getting experience and trying stuff out. I'm still to new to even know the right questions to ask but I remember reading something on Hornady website that said the target bullets should not be used for hunting, my guess is it has to do with expansion or something?

Look at what bullet is included with what is often considered one of - if not the - best STORE-available factory hunting rounds.

Hardly going to be my first choice unless I need a very accurate long range hunting cartridge and not something you need to waste money on <200 yards for sure.

Whatever you want to load for the .308 for hunting, get a soft point traditional bullet and don't overcomplicate it. Those have been killing deer and what not up to 600 yards away since someone figured out how to hold over in their scope.

I quit shooting .308 a while back.....I think i have 9 or 10 of the 168 sierra match king projectiles left if that helps. happy to send it to you gratis (in the US). Not great for hunting i'm afraid but a good projectile for target.

I quit shooting .308 a while back.....I think i have 9 or 10 of the 168 sierra match king projectiles left if that helps. happy to send it to you gratis (in the US). Not great for hunting i'm afraid but a good projectile for target.

Very interested will PM you for payment!

Buy a reloading book and read it at least twice. Study the loads. You will learn so much more about ammunition and ballistics. You will also have a great time doing it. Most books have an ideal target load and an ideal hunting load. I’m sure you will find several good options. And you will find a great new hobby that allows you to enjoy a new aspect of shooting sports at home.

no payment....people have been great to me here....just send me your address

Buy a reloading book and read it at least twice. Study the loads. You will learn so much more about ammunition and ballistics. You will also have a great time doing it. Most books have an ideal target load and an ideal hunting load. I’m sure you will find several good options. And you will find a great new hobby that allows you to enjoy a new aspect of shooting sports at home.

I have a 2018 version of Hodgdon Reloading manual I have have been looking at for a year since I bought the press. I initially set up the press than got overwhelmed with all the information threw a sheet over it and pretended like it didn't exist hahaha.
Even now Im researching and first someone says bump your shoulders back .001 than another person will say no fit it to the chamber, Than someone says you need to crimp than someone else says don't crimp. Its extremely difficult for a person who doesn't have an experienced person to show them there is so much contradictory information its like what do you do. I finially decided I'm just gonna start slow with minimum charges and try not to do anything stupid or im never going to learn.

There are some great YouTube sources out there as well. I really like Panhandle Precision. He knows his stuff and will walk you through the process and explain it in great detail.

Reactions: dspjaggar