• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTB: hBN (hexa)Boron Nitride

penumbra

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
CT
I am looking for a reliable source of Boron Nitride. does anybody here know where I can get (h)BN?

Re: WTB: hBN (hexa)Boron Nitride

Thats where yours came from Terry, Lowerfriction is GTG!

And you can sell it here for 100 times what you paid for it. Laugh. Buy a pound, and sell 3/4 of it for what you paid for your share and help out the hide. 1/4 lb should last you till your shoulder gives out. I like the 70 nanometer. JMHO

There is a guy over on the 6mmBr site that sells it. His screen name is Idaho_Elk_Huntr. He is good people I bought from him twice.

compare apples to apples. Lower friction is a retailer who sells by the English pound which is about 14 ounces. Hbn is hygroscopic. It pulls moisture out of the air so if it is not fresh your 14 ounces is cut with water. Buy direct from the manufacturer assures 100% pure and get your money worth.

Here's an American source that's about 1/2 the price of Lower Friction, $49 for 1 lb. avdp. It's who I bought mine from and the hBN seems to work fine.

thanks guys for the info. i will check the sources you mentioned; however, a few questions come to mind:

1. IIRC hBN is applied using a tumbler, what media would i use along the hBN? lead shot? ceramic pellets? copper shot?

2. since hBN is hygroscopic,
2.a. once applied to the bullets it will absorb water and expand, right?
2.b. should i apply to as large a batch as possible?
2.c. should i seal the bullets after application?
2.d. should i seal the loaded ammo?

3. what quantity would i need for say 1000 bullets (338LM 300gr)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: penumbra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks guys for the info. i will check the sources you mentioned; however, a few questions come to mind:

1. IIRC hBN is applied using a tumbler, what media would i use along the hBN? lead shot? ceramic pellets? copper shot?

<span style="color: #000099">[/color]
Many ways I've read to do it. I place in a plastic jar just big enough to hold 100 bullets, half as many BB size shot with as much hbn as can load on the tip of a screwdriver blade. Place the jar in tumber with any media and go for 15 to 30 min. Some go longer for hours and some less for about 10-15 min.

Some report different size shot gives better coverage. IIRC someone used #6 shot. Some whip off any excess white coating of hbn. I don't just leave it on and will help coat the inside of your barrel which takes anywhere from 50 to 100 bullets. Hbn works very well with high heat one of it's industrial usage is protecting tools in high heat applications.

Before using hbn clean your barrel down to the metal then after the 50-100 bullets conditioning only clean it when accuracy starts to degrade. In my 308 that is after 600 or more rounds.[color:#000099]</span>

2. since hBN is hygroscopic,
2.a. once applied to the bullets it will absorb water and expand, right?
Don't know a way to measure that and find out if it's true once it has been pressure applied, beat into the surface, of a bullet[color:#000099]</span>

2.b. should i apply to as large a batch as possible?
My opinion is doesn't matter. I have 4 or 5 boxes hbn treated ammo loaded last summer that has been sitting around and it shoots just the same.
[color:#000099]</span>
2.c. should i seal the bullets after application?
I'd store the same way as untreated reloaded ammo.

The big deal is how was the hbn stored before you got it. How do you store it once you get it.
2.d. should i seal the loaded ammo?

3. what quantity would i need for say 1000 bullets (338LM 300gr)?
3 to 6 grains per 100 so 1k would be about 30 to 60 grains. I use about 10-15 grains per 100 myself.

hope this helps
</div></div>

1: No media needed. Fill the bottle about half way with bullets, add a 1/2 teaspoon of HxBN, twist the top on tight and vibrate away. About 2 hrs will do it. 2: No problem I have found with the microscopic surface plating as far as water absorption. I seal the primers on hunting ammo. Otherwise, no. A good way to coat your barrel before shooting is to suspend about a half teaspoonful of the HxBN in about a tablespoon of pure alcohol. Ethyl, methyl or isopropyl doesn't matter. Using a patch wet with the suspension, scrub the inside of the bore a few strokes. When dry you'll have a good base that will take less shots to stabilize. Wipe the chamber and neck area witha clean alcohol patch and dry. The suspension makes a great lock lube, by the way.

Can apply hbn to 22lr with your fingers twisting the round with other hand. It works just as well as with cf rounds. Did the same prep to one of my 10/22s barrels. my groups tighten about a half.

great info. thanks guys. i think i am ready to try this out.

A friend of mine tried HBn. He was shooting moly. Since has blown the primer pockets and the neck tension is way to tight.
When he tried to pull the bullet it was really hard. Shooting a 260 with a neck sizer .288 with 140 amaxs
Here is the question.
1)Should he change neck tension?
2)Does the HBn perform the same for presures?

In my rifles, you can shoot the Moly and HxBN with same loads with identical velocities and impacts. I suspect other causes. Neck tension is not lube dependent. Have him try cleaning the inside of the necks with steel wool (000) on a cleaning brush, to get the residue out, and really check the sizing diameters. The necks may have thickened, or he may have encountered the dreaded "doughnut".