• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Reloading Equipment WTB: Noob to reloading, WTB quality stuff.

jhern19

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2018
Getting into reloading. WTB everything I will need to get started. Only reloading for precision. Want quality equipment. Send pm’s and I’ll let people know what I have in the comments. Would really like to buy a whole package of someone wants out of the game. TIA

If you want the best priming tool I would recommend the Primal Rights CPS competition seating tool.

I really like the Forster Co-Ax. Also, SAC has my favorite bullet and case comparator system.

All that is great, but without primers... it’s useless. I do wish you the best of luck finding a supply of primers, as a new reloader.

Hand priming tool vs. something like the rcbs auto priming tool?
Any reason why?

I get the FX 120 scale is good. What to use to drop powder? Does it matter? For someone getting into this what makes the most sense to drop money on first? Need to pick one: AMP? Giraud? Autrickler? Considering wait time on these top shelf items, what is the second best choice available now, to be able to reload next week, that won't leave me bankrupt or only be marginally noticeable on target?

I have powder, brass, primers and projectiles.

Hand priming tool vs. something like the rcbs auto priming tool?
Any reason why?

I get the FX 120 scale is good. What to use to drop powder? Does it matter? For someone getting into this what makes the most sense to drop money on first? Need to pick one: AMP? Giraud? Autrickler? Considering wait time on these top shelf items, what is the second best choice available now, to be able to reload next week, that won't leave me bankrupt or only be marginally noticeable on target?

I have powder, brass, primers and projectiles.
You can seat your primers by feel. It does make a difference. They need a baby crush on the pocket.

You can hand trim and it will do what you need, but you will spend a pile of time doing it.

An RCBS CM will get you single digit SDs, your brass prep has more sway on that.

IMO.. there isn’t a second best to the AMP.. I’ve tried a bunch of them. With enough fiddling you can get some of the others to perform well, but it’s a painful deal. Some guys swear by a torch and tempilac. Salt bath annealing is also a very controllable way to do it, but I won’t have one because I have kids.

Coax does well.. if you can find one. Redding also makes a good press. T7 off you want a turret.

Lastly, take an honest look at your shooting ability. If you can’t shoot MOA CONSISTENTLY, understand how to completely setup your rig, able to diagnose form issues etc. .. you are going to waste a lot time OCD reloading and testing when you would be better served throwing decent ammo together and practicing.

With that in mind you could get a starter set and be well on your way to building better than factory rounds. I get the buy once cry once. I’m all about it, but I can say for sure that starting by doing everything by hand made me a better hand loader.

Not trying to discourage you, just a bit of trial and a lot of error on my part going down this road.