• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTB Rain Gear?

916dude!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Sacramento,CA
Annbody know of any good websites to buy good quality rain gear(Gore-tex)etc? I would like something that would last a long time, and be comfertable and quiet. Im probably going to be a little ruff with it doing tacticle classes and comps. cami paterns would be preferable. Thanks guys

Re: WTB Rain Gear?

I use all Arc'teryx and Mountain Hardware stuff,and I have been pleased so far. Their gear is expensive but worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlsmith22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cabelas guide wear is the best made period. </div></div>

+1

Ive got great raingear from cabelas. Cannot be beat.

-Z

hi , i am new here but talking about rain gear. You can never go wrong with gortex. They are the best. I got a set of usmc marpat issued gortex and i love it every single day. it perfects for snow and rain. But it doesn't keep you warm in the winter so you need to pack some clothes under neath of it.
laugh.gif

Viet, where did you buy your gear? I know it works great! I need to find a good place to buy it! Lol thanks :)

I am looking to pick up a set of the Otte Gear hard shell top and bottom for work. I have heard good things about them.

Ok guyS... You are telling me about good gear that you have, but WHERE ARE YOU BUYING IT?!? LOL

the only rain gear ive ever seen that is water proof and quiet is riverswest . most mainstream online stores will have all teh major brands . cablelas.com or just google search if possible you really should try on rain wear before you buy .

Helly Hansen Impertech is completely waterproof and quiet. It's a rubberized fabric but won't leak no matter how wet it gets. It is far more reliable than Goretex if you think you are going somewhere soaking wet. It's also tough as nails and light weight for dependable rain gear.

Hunting guides I know that lead up in Alaska and other wet environs swear by it and I do too after using it for a couple years now. Lastly, it's also inexpensive and can be bought at many of the usual places.

HH Impertech is the best i ever used.

Arc'teryx is the absolute best for keeping you dry under the most severe mountaineering conditions. Period.... Including crawling on your knees in the mud.

I would not use it if I were crab fishing in the Bering Sea.

How do you intend to use the rain gear you are seeking? That is the question.

I mainly plan on just keeping dry and easily functional in the rain and some cold weather. My buddy is reserve marine and said he'd get me some mil issue gear so I think I'll just end up going through him. I'm still all ears if you have any better suggestion

+1 Arc'teryx is outstanding. I bought an Theda AR jacket a few years back and it's kept me dry and served as an outstanding outer shell in numerous circumstances. The Arc'teryx stuff is pricey but worth it IMH.

You can buy this stuff at lots of different places. A google search will turn up tons of options. Actually now might be a good time to find sales on outer wear as retailers are ramping up for warm weather.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911.it</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Arc'teryx is the absolute best for keeping you dry under the most severe mountaineering conditions. Period.... Including crawling on your knees in the mud.

I would not use it if I were crab fishing in the Bering Sea.

How do you intend to use the rain gear you are seeking? That is the question.</div></div>

check REI. one of the best companys in the world imho. they carry all brands. i have been a member for 30 years. stay dry!

LOL - I live in the Seattle area - you can buy it anywhere LOL

REI carries good stuff, as does cabellas

I think even sportsmans warehouse (OR whatever their canadian name is now).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 916dude!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mainly plan on just keeping dry and easily functional in the rain and some cold weather. My buddy is reserve marine and said he'd get me some mil issue gear so I think I'll just end up going through him. I'm still all ears if you have any better suggestion </div></div>

You must keep Gore-Tex's parent fabric dry for the it to work. Gore is a laminate to a parent, if the outer parent fabric gets wet, this will allow water to seep in. Body oils and dirt can clog the pours of GTex letting water in.

Gtex only works if you have a pressure difference between your bodies inside mirco climate and the outer climate. Gtex works best in cool dry weather that allows body vapor to get pushed / sink through the fabric. If the outer air or fabric is warm / damp, it will not sink body vapor through.

The best W/B fabric is Lowe Alpine Ceramic but it cost more than Gtex but was phenomenal in the back country out performing Gtex by a wide margin. But cost and lack of advertising, Gtex squashed them.

Rubberized is the only true waterproofing and if you have a very well designed garment, you can keep just as dry inside in the right climate as Gtex...chimney effect that allows dry cool air from down low to get sucked up though / under the garment and out the top and areas designed for this, same way Gtex works but instead of through the fabric it goes across the body and actually works better than Gtex if the garment is well designed.

Gtex has loads of cash and superb advertising. I sat through a Gtex siminar, kind of funny to see the reps show up in suits, long winded Power Point, feeding us steaks with a bunch of fleece wearing outdoor types. Gtex has loads of cash to feed you what ever they want you to believe, after years in the back country, it does not work as advertised and there are much better stuff out there.

I you are moderate active in temps 40F and below with 40% humidity, Gore-tex works OK. Very active in 50F with 60% and it will not work.

Another problem with Gore is flash off. Your body works hard over pressing Gore-tex so you stay very clammy and wet in Gtex. Once your body quits working, like taking a break there is a point that the G-tex will pass body vapor and all of a sudden you are cold, it happens very quickly and can take a lot of calories to heat the body back up.

Used just about all fabrics as outdoor gear tested in Alaska, and no I am not a fan of G-tex. Not many places colder and wetter than Alaska and microfiber soft shell out performs G-tex by a wide margin = not fishing though. Rubberized if the garment is designed well will outperform G-tex. HH is good and Patagonia is superb but more costly.

Damn! That was a lot of good info!that arc'teryx is freakn exspesive! But I might have to get it. I've learned if you put out the big money for the good stuff, you only have to do it once! I'll keep shopping and researching!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 916dude!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Viet, where did you buy your gear? I know it works great! I need to find a good place to buy it! Lol thanks :)</div></div>
Got it from my friend. If you want some civilian rain gear. Get timberland gortex cold weather it can keep you from getting wet from the rain. northface.

this is what I am looking at. This is after being caught in a down pour at the AZ comp. I am not living in a rain area (just want to have it when it is needed.)

Rain Gear

you can layer the "parka" to keep you warm and dry.

I have used gore tex for 25 years not the best imho buy the best 3 layer gore you can if you dont work it hard it will be fine . If you live in the rain say south east Alaska try helly hanson and artitex is hard to beat but again if you are hard on gear a bad choice.Some of the mid priced stuff is good all around once or twice a year say climbing waterproof stuff north face three layer artitex I use mil spec stuff and rotate each 2 years hope this helps and yes its hard to beat hi$$$ cabelas three layer gear

I’ve had really good results using military surplus ECWCS gortex rain gear. That said, I’ve never tried any of the high-dollar stuff from the big outfitters.

All my rain gear is north face w/goretex. it works really well for me as im pretty rough on equipment.i use this gear for anything from riding my buell to expedition camping. as far as concealment the top is a natural olive and bottoms are black so they work fairly well in the mountains of upstate NY.both i purchased at the local eastern mountain sports

Poncho, US Army-issue, Woodland Camouflage ... one each. And it was free.
smile.gif