• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTC sizing die and mandrel

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
So a friend of mine splurged and got a custom die from WTC. I know how it works but since it's mostly a bushing die(he removeed the decapping assembly) i was curious if anyone that uses one also uses a mandrel to set final neck tension? Or is the die itself so precise that the mandrel isn't needed?

You don't ever need to set final neck tension with a mandrel, either as part of the sizing step or after sizing, but it's one of the easiest ways to get consistent neck tension. The reasoning is that the bushing in the die is only sizing the outside of the neck, and while in a lot of cases that's probably good enough, there can be situations where it won't be consistent such as if the neck diameter is smaller than the bushing. So a lot of folks these days use a smaller bushing, then as a post-process run in through a mandrel to get the final neck size.

Those WTC dies are a thing of beauty...expensive, overengineered but awesome beauty.

You don't ever need to set final neck tension with a mandrel, either as part of the sizing step or after sizing, but it's one of the easiest ways to get consistent neck tension. The reasoning is that the bushing in the die is only sizing the outside of the neck, and while in a lot of cases that's probably good enough, there can be situations where it won't be consistent such as if the neck diameter is smaller than the bushing. So a lot of folks these days use a smaller bushing, then as a post-process run in through a mandrel to get the final neck size.

Those WTC dies are a thing of beauty...expensive, overengineered but awesome beauty.
I’m honestly looking at getting one once my barrel kicks the bucket. I came into the possession of a manson 6xc resent so might have Alan make me a die for it

Well the beauty of that die is that it's modular, just using a case-specific insert. So it's not like you have to buy a full die for every cartridge.

Well the beauty of that die is that it's modular, just using a case-specific insert. So it's not like you have to buy a full die for every cartridge.
Oh I know. I have a 6x47 that I’ll run into the ground, and maybe get this die for a future build…since tubb still sells Peterson 6xc brass for $82 per 100