• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WTC Solid Bullets--questions from a neophyte

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
I became aware of the WTC solids based on the Precision Rifle Blog, and was curious about them. Looking into the details I noticed some curious things maybe someone can explain to me:
(1) They are always loaded very very long in 308. Typical COAL is 2.8, load data on these was up around 3.125--why is that? Sounds like you almost need a custom chamber--I don't remember my exact max chamber Dim but is was 2.9X....
(2) Loads seem a little slow--I was looking at 120 Gr in 6.5 Creed--thinking I can use that improved BC and a higher velocity, but max velocity is 100FPS slower than a matching "normal" 120 Gr. Max listed velocity is the same as my 140Gr ELD-M which seems disappointing.These at least were only 2.820 COAL.

Thats just what happens with a monolithic when you dont have a dense lead core at the heart of it.

You want a copper bullet to equal the weight of a lead bullet; that will require a larger volume of material.
For more BC that bullet it going to get even longer and slipperier.

Solid copper doesnt compress like a lead does and likely has a longer bearing surface so just more drag.

1. You do not need a custom chamber. In fact, most will run a SAAMI spec chambers. They do not require a lot of free bore. Thus, chambers throated for extremely long jacketed bullets are the ones that will give you problems, if any. This would be due to excessive jump requirements. Just because the OAL is long, it doesn;'t mean you need a long chamber. Maximums due to magazine length, well that's a different issue all together.
2. Where are you getting your load data to make this statement? All of our published load data is STARTING load data, so there is room to ladder up. We do not advertise MAX loads because that varies for everyone. We don't want folks running into pressure right out of the gate. I run the 123s comfortably at 3200fps in my Creedmoor. It is a warm load, but certainly not MAX or over the top.