• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing WTF is wrong with my trigger?

SierraSR25

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2014
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Alright... So in the process of cleaning my entire gun after my whole bedding project, I got some oil in my timney trigger. I tried wiping it out really quick but it worked its way in and the firing pin went home on probably the 5th rack of the bolt. it kept doing it off and on so I pulled the trigger back out and sprayed it with gun scrubber thoroughly. Blowed air through it for a little bit then hit it with a dab of lighter fluid. Threw it back in the gun and same thing...

After much frustration I decided to loosen all the screws and reset everything to how I had it. I absolutely can not get it back to where it was. To get it where the pin won't fall it either has god awful long creep, or a 4lb trigger.

Maybe I'm missing something.. But if anyone could be of assistance it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Are you sure its an adjustable model? It sounds like you are goofing with it and you don't know what you are doing, if the pin is dropping as the bolt closes that is extremely dangerous. Take it to somebody that does know what they are doing before you hurt yourself or somebody else.

After much frustration I decided to loosen all the screws and reset everything to how I had it. I absolutely can not get it back to where it was. To get it where the pin won't fall it either has god awful long creep, or a 4lb trigger.

That sounds like I'm trying to adjust an adjustable trigger and don't know what I'm doing. My advice, take it to a gunsmith before you get hurt. I'd suggest ways to fix it but your questions have me concerned you don't know enough about what's going on for that to be a good idea.

Are you sure its an adjustable model? It sounds like you are goofing with it and you don't know what you are doing, if the pin is dropping as the bolt closes that is extremely dangerous. Take it to somebody that does know what they are doing before you hurt yourself or somebody else.

That sounds like I'm trying to adjust an adjustable trigger and don't know what I'm doing. My advice, take it to a gunsmith before you get hurt. I'd suggest ways to fix it but your questions have me concerned you don't know enough about what's going on for that to be a good idea.

I understand your concern and believe me, I would never take a rifle out I wasn't 100% confident in. What I said kind of does sound like I just loosened everything and went to town, but I assure you I've adjusted this trigger specifically 2 other times and other triggers before.

I'm no expert and maybe something's wrong that someone else has had a problem with. I'm not opposed to sending it to timney or going to a smith but having tuned this trigger before, I don't understand why now I am having problems and that is my reason in posting. Thank you.

You bedded the rifle, just before this happened?

Check the trigger assembly, out of the rifle, in fact, adjust it while OUT of the stock. When you get it right, and I suspect you will, put it back in the stock. If the problem re-appears, you have a small interference issue with the trigger asssembly and the stock. Clear that up, and your problems will be no more.

This is a very common problem with aftermarket triggers - not just particular to Jewell or Timney. They are just a smidge wider ( smidge is > RCH ) than the stock unit, and it takes only an RCH worth of interference to make funny triggers. Adjusting won't help.

Readjust trigger with action out of stock first. Problem wasn't oil in trigger.

And with a 510 (guessing that's what you're using), certainly not unheard of. Once you find that to be the problem, do some measuring of the inlet vs. the trigger housing/safety arm. I'll bet you'll find the issue pretty quick. Quick hit with a sanding block or Dremel will fix it (on the stock of course, not the trigger). Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help everyone. I Went to the shop after work and their best guy, after a long continuous hour, couldn't get it either. We ended up slapping a new 510 on there and everything was back to normal. No problems in or out of the stock.

Was this a Calvin elite or a 510? Does the pin actually drop, or is it riding forward as you lock the bolt? That's what mine is doing and it's a Calvin elite. I need to send mine back in, I'm just wondering if this is a problem with the CE or just some random shit.

Was this a Calvin elite or a 510? Does the pin actually drop, or is it riding forward as you lock the bolt? That's what mine is doing and it's a Calvin elite. I need to send mine back in, I'm just wondering if this is a problem with the CE or just some random shit.

This was a 510 and the pin was riding forward as I locked or slammed the bolt. The only way I could get it to not to do that, the trigger pull would be around 4.5 pounds and the creep was rediculous. Definitely not how a timney should feel.

I think it was most likely something completely random as I've never had a problem with timneys before. I'm going to send that one in and see if they can tell me what went wrong.

If the thing is slam firing so to speak you have possibly two problems,one is sear engagement and poundage set at.I suspect that after bedding you have an interference problem with your bedding possibly.The timney should adjust similar to any Remington trigger.When setting the sear engagement you should cock it with the sear set deep and then back it off slowly till it drops then back it out a 1/4 turn to start with,then you can set the poundage and overtravel.

If the thing is slam firing so to speak you have possibly two problems,one is sear engagement and poundage set at.I suspect that after bedding you have an interference problem with your bedding possibly.The timney should adjust similar to any Remington trigger.When setting the sear engagement you should cock it with the sear set deep and then back it off slowly till it drops then back it out a 1/4 turn to start with,then you can set the poundage and overtravel.

We got it all figured out, something was wrong with the trigger. Neither I or the smith could get it set so I bought a new one and I'll be sending that one back to timney sometime soon. Thank you though.