• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes WTF was Burris Thinking?

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
So I needed a new set of rings to go on the 40XB when I installed the 20MOA EGA rail.

I was running Leupold STD rings in the "Super High" variety to clear the 50mm bell on the Vortex Crossfire. They are about .9" high from the base to the ring split.

I go ring shopping and see that the Burris Xtreme "high" rings are 3/4" and the "Extra High" are advertised as 1". So extra high I go.

They arrive and I greedily tear into the package......Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over. There is no way in hell that these are 1". I measure the ring and sure enough they are 1.5" from the bottom to the center line of the tube.

At least they are the perfect height to replace the cheap Warne rings on my beater AR. Off to Gander I go and home I come with a set of Leupold "Rifleman" rings. They are pretty light duty and I don't think I would use them on a tactical rifle, but they should be just fine for my .22 trainer.

At least I wasn't stuck with the rings or having to return them to Midway.

On a positive note, the EGW base mounted right up with no appreciable gap, so no bedding on this one.

Re: WTF was Burris Thinking?

Sounds like they measure from the rail to the bottom of the scope, and poorly at that...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like they measure from the rail to the bottom of the scope, and poorly at that... </div></div>

xtrrings.jpg

You can see the height difference in pictures. They are substantially higher for sure!

Where did you see they were advertised 1"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfitters</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Where did you see they were advertised 1"? </div></div>
60 seconds on Google got me this:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-xtreme-tactical-30mm-rings.html

Burris Extreme Riflescope 30mm Ring Heights

This chart shows the dimensions of Burris XT 30mm Tactical Picatinni Style Matte Ring
<span style="font-weight: bold">from the bottom of the scope tube to the top of the mount face </span>("C" dimension).

LOW MED HIGH EXTRA HIGH
30mm .25" .5" .75" 1"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeBobOutfitters</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Where did you see they were advertised 1"? </div></div>
60 seconds on Google got me this:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-xtreme-tactical-30mm-rings.html

Burris Extreme Riflescope 30mm Ring Heights

This chart shows the dimensions of Burris XT 30mm Tactical Picatinni Style Matte Ring
<span style="font-weight: bold">from the bottom of the scope tube to the top of the mount face </span>("C" dimension).

LOW MED HIGH EXTRA HIGH
30mm .25" .5" .75" 1"
</div></div>

I'm asking where the SOURCE came from. IE, if its a measurement from Burris then it should be corrected. It appears that optics planet has that information, but the question is where did they get it? I don't think I've ever seen Burris publish them as 1" tall?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burris deffinately measure from top of rail point to bottom of the ring. </div></div>

Yep. I wasn't at my store to check my own inventory for verification but, I just went and measured a set in my inventory and the "extra highs" are 1" from top of rail to bottom of ring. It doesn't seem like this is a bad way to measure, or that complicated for consumers to understand? "WTF was burris thinking" doesn't seem to fit?
smirk.gif

I was ring shopping awhile back and became aware that this is how Burris measures the height of their rings. It is posted on their website. It may not be the standard way of measuring, but I think it's actually more practical than the "rail to centerline of tube" measurement. When trying to determine the correct ring height, you can stack loose change on the rail and rest the scope on top to find where you want it to sit.
Once the scope is where you want it, you can just measure the height of the stack of coins, and you have your ideal ring height.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Once the scope is where you want it, you can just measure the height of the stack of coins, and you have your ideal ring height. </div></div>

You can also do this with the standard measurements. Just add 1/2 the diameter of your scope tube.

Since I didn't order from the Burris website I was not aware of this little tidbit on their rings. You would think that they would either measure the way everyone else in the industry does OR make sure their retailers (SWFA and MidwayUSA) know how they measure.

Like I said, it's not a big hairy deal since I just slapped them on the AR. But in the future I will not the difference.

I agree the dealers should make this info available to the customer when ordering. It seems lately, a lot of sites give very little info on the products they sell, other than MSRP and "Our price". I usually end up going to the manufacturers site, just to get more info, and that's how I found out about the way Burris measures their rings.

It would be nice it they put that kind of info on the back of the packaging.