• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

WTK: Opinions on Robinson XCR

samnev

First Sargeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 16, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    A fellow shooter in my town has an Excellent condition Robinson XCR folding stock, with Magpul furniture for sale. Would appreciate any comments on relaibilty, quality, accuracy and fit and finish (pro's and cons as I have never handled one. Asking price is $1500 which seem a bit high to me but I haven't seen many for sale.

TIA

Re: WTK: Opinions on Robinson XCR

I don't own one but a friend does. I had a chance to fire ~4 magazines through it. Recoil seemed a little higher than an AR-15. He said it was nothing but reliable as long as he had the gas setting correct. There is also a forum about XCRs that has a lot of good info. I wouldn't mind having one, I liked it and I like that you can change calibers on it. Being a monolithic-type upper, it was very solid. With the folding stock, a little more weight-forward than an AR.

If you do buy it, and need service, be aware that you will only get good service if you are very nice to them on the phone. The president/CEO said so himself.

I have one and I like it. I think the design is great; it has some of the best features of an FAL, AK, and AR. Mine has been very reliable and pretty accurate as well.

I have the heavy barrel version and it is a little front heavy.
    Also the whole deal with only one company as a parts supplier is a little scary.

Overall, I think its a great weapon. Its a great alternative to an ACR or SCAR, 1500 is a pretty good deal too.

My feelings pretty much fall in line with gregsjt
    I have a factory sbr light barrel, really makes it sweet.
    Accurate and very reliable.

Support and CS my only concerns long term

Thanks guys for the feed back it's really appreciated. The CS, support and parts concern is however a worry.

In my experience the CS has been great, the people I have talked to at Robarm have been friendly, courteous, and very helpful. The only thing that worries me is the fact that they (Robarm) are the only company that makes parts for the rifle. But, so far I haven't had anything on the gun fail.

Had one, sold it, was fine, just kind of heavy and recoil was more pronounced. You can dial the gas down, but with my UMC ammo it would stove pipe sometimes so I kept it higher.

The folding stock is kind of lose which just always bothered me, not sure if they fixed that or not.

Would I own one again? Sure, but I think I would just buy an AK over that, say an Arsenal SG-21. If you are looking for an AR, just build one and save some cash for an optic.

Simple adjustment of screw at back of stock adapter [not the hinge]makes for a very nice/tight folding stock actually.
    Would a new stock like the ACR be nice and as promised for some time, you bet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: native</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Simple adjustment of screw at back of stock adapter [not the hinge]makes for a very nice/tight folding stock actually.
    Would a new stock like the ACR be nice and as promised for some time, you bet. </div></div>

Yeah, that does work, but you do have to bird dog it. Mine was riding in my truck so it was probably getting lose from the ride.

I may be late to this topic but I'm new to the forum.

Back in late '01 to early '02, a team from my company was assigned to conduct the field trials for a multi-caliber rifle to replace the M4 in the SOCOM inventory. The Team Sergeant on this Special Forces team was former Blue Light/Delta and the team was our designated CQB team.

Of all the weapons submitted, they determined that the best one was the Robinson Arms XCR with the FN SCAR a distant second. Politics interceded and we ended up with the SCAR.

Sore subject with me!

Buying into their hype that every DI AR was a POS and this was the most reliable weapon ever conceived by mortal men...I foolishly bought one.

First hundred or so rounds no problem shortly there after I would be lucky to make it through an entire mag without having a missfeed resulting in a action locked just out of battery. Several times I had to dissasemble the rifle including removal of the barrel to correct the problem.

Now in their defense they did tell me they were aware of the issue and it wasnt uncommon. They offered to repair my rifle if I shipped it to them (didnt offer to pay shipping) and they were really busy so turn around would be 3-4 weeks. I purchased the rifle for a class and had just dropped 1600.00 on the damn thing so this was not the answer I wanted to hear.

Since I was told the issue was most likly the barrel extention ramps I suggested they send me a replacement barrel and I would send them mine...you would have thought I had insulted the guys mother from the response. FWIW I was not rude in any way I just suggested that would be a workable solution I would be happy with.

I was able to trade the rifle back to the shop I purchased it from for full value towards components to build a replacement AR. The shop is also a range and the staff was aware of the issues I had with the rifle, I was happy they were willing to take the rifle back and deal with RA directly for repairs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for the feed back it's really appreciated. The CS, support and parts concern is however a worry. </div></div>

They are local to us and I have a couple of acquaintances with their guns.

Your worry is very valid. Although they both agree that CS has been polite. On several occasions parts and service have been unavailable due either to lack of production or delays due to the volume of service needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys for the feed back it's really appreciated. The CS, support and parts concern is however a worry. </div></div>

In the long run, this is the main issue I have with many custom products: it just becomes a paper weight if the original company goes under. A lot of fantastic products out there, but I'll take one Remington 700 clone and AR-15 please.
    smile.gif

Actually, this report from 2002, "02-034 Report, Enhanced Carbine Evaluation", describes a comparison test of possible M4 replacements which was conducted in late 2001. Robinson had an M96 in the eval, and it performed poorly apparently. It would not zero (wouldn't hold a group under 5.5"), and had no full auto capability. It suffered catastrophic failure during the water in the bore test (only G36 passed).

FN had an M4 variant and a proto FS2000 in the test, none of which performed well.

Tester comments were not available for the M96 but the testers generally disliked the Tavor, FS2000, and SAR21.

This is also the test where the receiver of the G36 melted during sustained fire.

Also to add, up until 2004-2005, the XM-8 was full speed ahead. See, "A COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS OF CURRENT AND PLANNED
    SMALL ARMS WEAPON SYSTEMS," Jenkins, Lowery 2004
    And, "ABBREVIATED TEST REPORT FOR THE PREPRODUCTION TEST OF THE XM8 MODULAR ASSAULT WEAPON SYSTEM-TROPIC PHASE", Ayala, et. al. 2005

Justin

Kermit from WILD THANG FARMS in Idaho sells them at gun shows and showed me all the nifty features last year, but to me they just don't look as good in person as they do in magazines. I will buy a Mini-SBR if they come out in 9mm, but there is just something that keeps me from jumping on the .556
    Kermit seems like a very straight-up guy that can probably
    answer any questions you have. His cell is (208) 869-1616.
    Note-I've only met the guy twice and I'm not his nephew
    smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: S Fidler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may be late to this topic but I'm new to the forum.

Back in late '01 to early '02, a team from my company was assigned to conduct the field trials for a multi-caliber rifle to replace the M4 in the SOCOM inventory. The Team Sergeant on this Special Forces team was former Blue Light/Delta and the team was our designated CQB team.

Of all the weapons submitted, they determined that the best one was the Robinson Arms XCR with the FN SCAR a distant second. Politics interceded and we ended up with the SCAR. </div></div>

Either Massoud is lying or you are. I wonder......

He may not be lying really, perhaps something was lost as the story was passed on. The test was done for SOCOM and the testers for portions of the test were from SOF units. Here's a snippet:

"d. Category IV Alternatives are new carbines not based on M4/M16 design and may or may not be compatible with M16 Magazines and must be adapted to M1913 rails system for SOPMOD compatibility. Alternatives assessed include:

(...)

(3) M96 Expeditionary Rifle M96 is based on Stoner 63 and can be reconfigured to carbine, rifle, light support (Bren) configuration. M1913 rail are available along top of receiver. Barrels are easily changed in the field. The adjustable gas system allows operation with frangible and subsonic ammo. Two stage trigger. Manufactured by Robinson Armament" Clune 2002

For those who are not aware, Blue Light was set up by 5th SF Group (my former unit) as a response to the need for a CT unit, a role which COL Beckwith later took over with his unit, SFOD-Delta. This was in the mid-late 70's into the early 80's.
    Justin

P.S. This really has no bearing on how the XCR performs today, I posted simply so people would not be misinformed in relation to how SOF felt about particular weapons.

P.P.S. Here is a snippet from Wiki on the XCR and the date of its release and its participation in the SCAR trials:

"The Robinson Armament Co. XCR is a multi-caliber, gas piston weapon system developed by Robinson Armament Co. for U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM) to satisfy the requirements of the SOF Combat Assault Rifle[1], or SCAR competition, but was disqualified on a technicality due to late delivery of blank firing adapters. Robinson Armament continued development and the XCR is now being offered to law enforcement, the military and general public. Deliveries of the rifle began in mid-2006." Wiki 24 March 2010

The rifle seem nice in concept. Never fired one.

But with the horror stories of their CS giving attitude, rifles not functioning as expected, and the lack of supplemental parts... there's no way I'd buy one.

And after the owner went apeshit last year in a public forum about how people needed to listen to him and do things his way (trying to recall where it was), I can't in good conscious support them.

Maybe he's confusing the M96 and XCR then since he referenced "'01 to early '02."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He may not be lying really, perhaps something was lost as the story was passed on. The test was done for SOCOM and the testers for portions of the test were from SOF units. Here's a snippet:

"d. Category IV Alternatives are new carbines not based on M4/M16 design and may or may not be compatible with M16 Magazines and must be adapted to M1913 rails system for SOPMOD compatibility. Alternatives assessed include:

(...)

(3) M96 Expeditionary Rifle M96 is based on Stoner 63 and can be reconfigured to carbine, rifle, light support (Bren) configuration. M1913 rail are available along top of receiver. Barrels are easily changed in the field. The adjustable gas system allows operation with frangible and subsonic ammo. Two stage trigger. Manufactured by Robinson Armament" Clune 2002

For those who are not aware, Blue Light was set up by 5th SF Group (my former unit) as a response to the need for a CT unit, a role which COL Beckwith later took over with his unit, SFOD-Delta. This was in the mid-late 70's into the early 80's.
    Justin

P.S. This really has no bearing on how the XCR performs today, I posted simply so people would not be misinformed in relation to how SOF felt about particular weapons.

P.P.S. Here is a snippet from Wiki on the XCR and the date of its release and its participation in the SCAR trials:

"The Robinson Armament Co. XCR is a multi-caliber, gas piston weapon system developed by Robinson Armament Co. for U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM) to satisfy the requirements of the SOF Combat Assault Rifle[1], or SCAR competition, but was disqualified on a technicality due to late delivery of blank firing adapters. Robinson Armament continued development and the XCR is now being offered to law enforcement, the military and general public. Deliveries of the rifle began in mid-2006." Wiki 24 March 2010</div></div>

I bought one in December from wild thang farms and couldn't be happier.I do plan to get spare parts just for insurance, but there really aren't a lot of parts it seems. I think it is an excellent design. It has been upgraded over the years so some of the bad press may be a moot point at the current production level. If you already have an ar15 I say go get one. It's a great rifle and if you have a problem you still have an AR. I finally got my first suppressor today and tried it on my XCR and it ran flawlessly, sounds like a .22lr.

I have an XCR with the 16" light barrel and a WCI brake. I love it. I shoot it more than any of my AR's. If you want a precision rifle then the XCR is probably not it. I get 1.25 - 1.5 moa out of my reloads and that is fine with me. I do not know where the heavy recoil stuff comes from but my wife loves to shoot it because she says it feels like shooting a BB gun. If you are in
    no rush to get one check the XCR forum (http://www.xcrforum.com/) and GunBroker for a good buy.

I have a sbr xcr (11") in 7.62 x 39. I love it. So far I have only 4000 rounds though it started to stove pipe around ~2000 rounds so i turned up the gas. Made it to ~2600 rounds then decided to clean it. Also I shoot the crappest cheapest surplus I can find. Mine works good. Maybe half the rounds were also shot suppresses with an AAC 7.62SD

I purchased the 223, 7.62 x 39 and the 6.8 all performed above avg. That Said would never deal with that company again. I broke the bolt for barrel change called for replacement bolt was told send back we will fix in a week. 7 months later got upper back. Would call once a month basic on their recommendations. Never get the same person was told prior person does not know etc as soon as I got rifle back sold all. Go to xcrforum.com and read history also for sale ads. Would not recommend based on customer / management Service