• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

WTK powder and component selection for single load for multiple rifles

Spring1898

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
USA
Hello all,
Now that I am getting into reloading I want to tap your info on choice of some components as I try to be as cost effective as can be.

Up to this point I have been using Federal Gold Medal 175gr with pretty good results across the board for factory ammo in .308/7.62 NATO realm. I am trying to mirror that universality in my reloading.

I have multiple rifles in each caliber, which include .308 and 7.62 NATO, 7.62x54r, 8mm JS, .30-06, .303 (wish I still had the 7.5 swiss). They are mostly stock, sniper, or DMR variants that may have undergone minor additional accurizing. The rifles will easily do well inside of 1 MOA if I do my part. I shoot for fun, not extreme accuracy. The rounds will be at the bench and in the woods for hunting.

My goal; stock a single powder for all the above calibers, a single bullet weight for each caliber, and standardize my primers and brass.

In the powders my research so far has turned up Varget, Vhitavouri, RL-15 most of the time. I have heard Varget gives better temp uniformity, but I have also heard the RL-15 may have improved on that realm as well. I have seen Vhitavouri do nice things, but it is very expensive and hard to find (like most everything else these days).
Brass is Norma or lapua
Bullet is Sierra Match Kings 175, 174, and 200gr.
Primers I have heard CCI bench rest, M34, Federal Gold Medal Match, and assorted other CCI's.
I like the idea of the reliability of the m34 since I will take it out in the woods, and depending on my schedule rounds might sit for a year or so before being shot. Most of the rifles are military so light taps on the primer aren't an issue. But would that have too much of a detrimental effect on accuracy?

What do you recommend and why?

Last edited:
It's probably a moot point right now because there ain't much of any powders to be found and the rest of the loading components are pretty tough too. I like varget for powder but have never tried the other two that you've mentioned. It WAS easy to come by and seems to group well in .308 but I've read good things about 1500 too. I'm like you and don't want to keep too many different powders around so I went with the flow and bought the varget and 175 SMKs and CCi br2. I've tried different bullets but after all said and done went back to the 175 SMKs, varget powder and CCi br2 primers. That just works and if you look at the reloading threads you'll see that combo over and over again.

WRT rounds sitting for a year, I have rounds that have sat for over 15 years that shoot fine.

If you are that worried, seal the primer and bullet like the military does. Nail polish will work, but many places seal a product for this use.

I would look at Varget, 4831, RL17/RL19. I get great velocities out of my 308 with 4064 (faster burn rate than varget) but poor grouping no matter what the bullet weight or powder charge.
You could also look at TAC or W760, I have seen 760 on the shelf recently.
BurnRateChart.jpg

I agree with P7id10t, I think W760 is fairly easy to find and will work in all those calibers. I load it in 2 different 30-06 rifles and have excellent accuracy. It is the same as H414 if you can find that powder they are identical. I use CCI 250 primers in everything from 22-250 to 33 Lapua. Sounds like you got the brass figured out as I use Lapua with great results also.

Thanks for the replies so far.
I was considering TAC for my plinking loads as it seems to be a decent powder that is markedly less expensive than varget or others.
I will have to look into the other powders mentioned as I haven't heard much about them in all these applications. Then I have to find it, though I did finally manage to find some blue dot locally

In addition to the original questions, has anyone ever tumbled bullets? I picked up quite a few pulled SMK 175Gr from M118LR. Actually I was expecting them to be in rough shape, but most are in very nice condition, with only minor scratches. I was considering tumbling them to try and smooth them over a bit. For the price they couldn't be beat as they were cheaper than new M80 bullets.

I have also heard that Sierra's GameKings share relatively close ballistics with the Match Kings. Does anyone recommend them or another less expensive bullet to develop a new load for?