• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision www.nvdevices.com

CBDR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2017
Jacksonville FL.
Well if Murphy is around the next corner he showed up at the worst possible time.
12 hours into a 72 hour hunt my PVS-30 decided to give it up. I purchased a refurbished unit from NVD out of Allentown PA. in Dec of 2017. This device has spoiled me, it made me a believer that the only way to shoot in the dark is with a 30. It has preformed flawless every time I have taken it into the field approx more than 40 times. The night it failed I had successfully completed a gear check a half hour before s/s with the objective lens cover on. Clear n bright. Then 2 hours later when I went to turn it on I could feel the switch just turn (no- click). The feeling of the switch actually engaging the unit was not happening. Tried changing batteries and re-cycling the switch. No go had a hard fail. Extremely disappointing. After reviewing my warranty statement I'm a little concerned / confused. If it is in fact the switch what kind of price tag would be attached to this repair. Sure hope this company has a fair customer service policy. I will give them a call in the AM. I have all required paperwork that came with it when I purchased this from NVD.
Feedback welcome

So as of this morning NDV informed me to mail back the pvs-30 and they would make an assessment for a 100 dollar fee. And we will see where this goes. Warranty on a refurbished unit is only one year. My gut tells me its just the switch. How much to repair it is TBD? Only time will tell.

I have had Ed Wilcox do osome night vision repairs for me. Ed does great work if NVD cannot fix it

Reactions: Shifty6BR
Keep me updated as I’m looking at their BNVD with white phos tubes. I called TNVC and their BNVD is not available with battery pack or white phos so I’m leaning toward this company; I just need to know if they are reputable and will take care of their consumers/issues that may arise.

Roger. Every day that goes buy brings me back to that moment when I decided to shell out 4k on a used ARMY PVS-30. I am really hoping when the call from NVD does actually happen it does not give me that sinking feeling. Reminding me my conscience at the time was telling me, USE CAUTION. This is a vendor rich environment. This is a serious calculated risk on used Army gear. On another note I am curious if any NVD management types visit this site. Hoping that the SNIPERS HIDE following carries some weight with regards customer service hide street cred.

Wig got me started on this path of night shooting / hunting several years ago and I have to admit. For me once I got a taste of it the daytime trips into the swamp became boring. Night time shooting is an entirely different world. I found myself very quickly yanked out of my comfort zone. Moving about alone in the dark in the Okefenokee is an excellent test of one mettle.

NVD provided the following update for my returned PVS-30. They are unable to make a determination of the root cause of the failure. They reminded me because it is a refurbished unit and it is outside the 12 month warranty period (22 months) I am at a cross roads. They can mail it back to KAC and for a fee of 275. KAC will open her up and make an assessment. NVD is waving their 100 dollar assessment fee. I asked NVD are they seeing any kind of trend with the refurbished units coming back in for repairs. I was told out of a thousand units they had only received two come back with issues. Was that the gods honest truth? I will never know. So now after I mailed it WITH INSURANCE from FL to PA it's headed to KAC in FL. My optimism and faith in the system still remains strong.

did you do the right thing and put it down like Old Yeller or are you keeping it around to see if you can make it work again more of a Steve Austin type of deal you have the technology ? you can do it .

Brother when I said I felt optimistic what the other half of my brain was telling me to hold the fuck on. This is possibly going to turn into a shit storm. $$$

How is it fair to hold NVD (the retailer) responsible for this. They’re only selling the things, KAC sets the warranty and it was advertised by NVD so it’s not like they pulled some bait and switch.

IMO they did you a solid by offering to check it out for you at a fee that’s roughly a third of what KAC charges and then even later waiving that fee.

NVD is a great company and their warranty on their branded products is phenomenal and they stand behind it though. This isn’t there product though and the mere fact they personally took it back in outside the MANUFACTURES warranty period to try to diagnose the issue for you is great.

I think your post is very misleading and also unfair to them because they have done way more than they had to. Most dealers would tell you it’s not their problem right off the bat even if you had a failure a week after you bought it.

Reactions: plong
Really. NVD instructed me if I wanted an assessment they instructed me to mail it back to them. I was not to go through KAC. Following NVD customer service's instructions.
Always appreciated the input from others. Thanks brother.

Really. NVD instructed me if I wanted an assessment they instructed me to mail it back to them. I was not to go through KAC. Following NVD customer service's instructions.
Always appreciated the input from others. Thanks brother.

So you're telling me that NVD who is merely the vendor in this transaction, not the manufacturer, or anyone having ANYTHING to do with the original warranty, refurbishment, or servicing instructed you NOT to contact the manufacturer who handles warranty and service and to instead send it to them. That's a load of shit. Now I don't doubt that they offered you the option to send it to them for an inspection but I don't believe what you're suggesting.

It's blatantly obvious you're butthurt that your unit went tits up and you're somehow trying to put this on NVD. I mean look at your choice for the thread title "www.nvdevices.com", not "My PVS-30 refurb shit the bed and is out of warranty, what can I do". Your thread title doesn't even refer a PVS-30 or anything, I clicked on it thinking it was someone asking for feedback for NVD or something.

since NVD is a repair center, perhaps they actually refurbed the scope and it sold it as such.

Night Vision Devices (NVD) has more than 30 combined years experience in the evaluation and repair of American Made night vision systems. Our highly trained staff can repair and service the following systems: AN/PVS-2, AN/TVS-2, AN/PVS-4, AN/TVS-5, AN/PVS-5A/B/C, M912/915, AN/PVS-7A/B/C/D, AN/PVS-13, AN/PVS-14, AN/PVS-15, AN/PVS-18, AN/PVS-22, and AN/PVS-23, along with their many commercial derivatives.

We also have stock parts on hand for the repair of these systems. Please contact us for more information on servicing and repair. We utilize the Hoffman ANV-126, TS-3895/UV and the TS-4348/UV test set for evaluation and repair of all of the night vision systems we service. Use of these test sets ensures the utmost in system performance, calibration and compliance to MIL SPECS.

If you have an item that you would like to repair please call our Service Department at redacted. You must obtain an Return Authorization number (RA) and provide a description of the problem, along with your name and contact information.

We have a $100 service fee for evaluations. Once the problem has been established we will call you with an estimate for parts and service to correct it. All Repairs and Servicing take 2-4 weeks.

I'm not trying to put anything on anyone Sir. Just documenting the process as other members have asked. Wow, lots on angry folks ready to pile on and shape the narrative.
An interesting perspective you have. Have a nice evening.

I'm not trying to put anything on anyone Sir. Just documenting the process as other members have asked. Wow, lots on angry folks ready to pile on and shape the narrative.
An interesting perspective you have. Have a nice evening.

Then why did you title the thread the way you did. You made this post before you even contacted them, per your own account in your original post.

since NVD is a repair center, perhaps they actually refurbed the scope and it sold it as such.

Negatory ghost rider, the refurbs were refurbs by KAC. Per a conversation I had, NVD doesn’t have a collimating table so they couldn’t possibly do it.

One of my PVS-30s was 2+ MOA off when I got it (well w/in the warranty period), so I contacted NVD. They absolutely had me ship it back to them, not directly to KAC. It did go from them to KAC for collimation, but I was instructed by email to ship it back to NVD. I don't doubt one bit that the OP was instructed to do the same. I must be missing something here because I don't see at all where CBDR is trying to misrepresent NVD or claim that they somehow owe him something. Can anyone seriously fault this guy for being a little upset that his $4k scope may have shit the bed?

id have simply taken the lid off the unit and measured voltage output from the switch with dvom. youd have known pretty damn quick if it was the switch.

id have simply taken the lid off the unit and measured voltage output from the switch with dvom. youd have known pretty damn quick if it was the switch.
Agree, contemplated using a Flute multi meter looking for ohm's resistance. Did not want to leave tool marks. Did not want to give the impression I had a shade tree mechanic pop the hood and take a peak. Still optimistic. Worst case scenario, lesson learned.
Love that 30 sir. You helped and convinced me scanning with thermal and shooting with NV was a good system for my application. The hogs are enjoying my down time.

Reactions: Downtown
Well if Murphy is around the next corner he showed up at the worst possible time.
12 hours into a 72 hour hunt my PVS-30 decided to give it up. I purchased a refurbished unit from NVD out of Allentown PA. in Dec of 2017. This device has spoiled me, it made me a believer that the only way to shoot in the dark is with a 30. It has preformed flawless every time I have taken it into the field approx more than 40 times. The night it failed I had successfully completed a gear check a half hour before s/s with the objective lens cover on. Clear n bright. Then 2 hours later when I went to turn it on I could feel the switch just turn (no- click). The feeling of the switch actually engaging the unit was not happening. Tried changing batteries and re-cycling the switch. No go had a hard fail. Extremely disappointing. After reviewing my warranty statement I'm a little concerned / confused. If it is in fact the switch what kind of price tag would be attached to this repair. Sure hope this company has a fair customer service policy. I will give them a call in the AM. I have all required paperwork that came with it when I purchased this from NVD.
Feedback welcome
Repairs complete:
Condensed version of how NVD handled my repair issue.
After just shy of two months I received my PVS-30 via UPS this evening.
NVD costumer service score: 5 stars
Tech support: 5 Stars. Listened to my concerns and and explained my options. Turns out my hunch that the root of the problem was the main on / off switch failed. Go easy on that pulling and twisting in the dark gents. KAC preformed all repairs. NVD waived the evaluation fee. Total cost to have KAC conduct a complete eval and replace switch was just under 600. I consider myself fortunate that this did not turn into a goat rope.
I can not say enough about how pleased I am with NVD.

I’m happy to hear this. I’m looking real hard at one of their Ultra -light UL-14 housed PVS-14 units. I can’t find any reviews on a UL-14, but their 10 year warranty is confidence-inspiring.

Reactions: CBDR