• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wyatt's DBM feed problem

MikeInUtah

Minuteman
Mar 9, 2013
West Valley, UT
I tried his DBM .308 Assy w/10 Round Mag, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC. using my BC tac medalist with r700 action and it failed to feed 80% of the time causing a jam. When operating the bolt on a snap-cap, I could see the front of the round jump diagonally hitting the top of the action causing the bolt to jam up. If the bolt was operated quickly the failure rate would decrease. This was also the case with a live round as I was originally thinking it was due to the snap-cap demensions. I talked with Kevin wyatt and we tried to troubleshoot the problem but he was not able to determine the cause. We measured the feed lips and they were correct. We didnt believe it was the stock as it was not restricting the seating of the DBM. I sent it back for his inspection. He sent a replacement DBM which did not fix the issue. I tried adding spacers since I noticed there was some play in the mag with the mag seated which helped slightly.

Ultimately, I just returned it for a refund. I find it hard to believe this was some strange anomaly. Has anyone ever experienced this?

I had the exact same problem, but with the Wyatt's extended mag box for BDL bottom metal. The shoulder of the 7mm-08 cartridge was releasing to soon and the tip of the bullet hit at 1 - 2 o'clock above the chamber mouth. I had to tweak the forward half of the feed lips inward and shave the bottom of the feed box to get it under control. It took many small tweaks and sanding of the mag box to get everything to fit and feed properly. I was fitting into a B&C Alaskan II stock. Everything now works slick and I really like the B&C stock.

Both my brother and I had the same issues as you, we got to a point were it was just easier to sell them and we went with a McRee chassis instead. Now we have no more FTF from the mags.

What really seemed to be the problem with the Wyatts mag was the second round in the mag. When the top round was being pushed forward by the bolt it causes the round directly below it to also be pushed forward and with the location of the spring in the magazine and the tension it puts on the follower (no spring tension on front half of follower) it was causing the second round in the mag to jam up against the front of the mag at a downward angle causing the top round to feed at an upward angle into the action and then jam up.

We had a total of (4) 5 round Wyatts mags all do the same thing, it really seemed to be an issue with 2-3 rounds left in the mag when the tension on the spring wasn't as high as a fully loaded mag. We tried everyhting from extra spacers to no spacer to inletting the B&C stock pillar heights, going to a AICS mag design was the best thing we did it got rid of all the frustration we were having with the rifle.

Thanks folks for all the feedback. I figured this would be the case. Hopefully, this thread will help direct others to different options to avoid the frusteration. I have since just returned to my factory bottom metal with internal box.

I was having the same exact problem. I made an anti-tilt follower which solved the problem.

I had the same issue. It was extemely frustrating. I had to take apart the mags and bent the sping to give some tension in the front of the follower. I really think it's a magazine problem. I haven't had any issues with it since.

Last edited:
I had the same issue. It was extemely frustrating being that it was a brand new product that was defective from the start. I had to take apart the mags and bent the sping to give some tension in the front of the follower. I really think it's a magazine problem. I haven't had any issues with it since, but I would have a hard time recommending it to others.
How do you get the mag apart? I can't see how the base plate comes out.

The way I did it is I just took a alan wrench and put it through the hole on the bottom to pop up the metal lip holding it in. Then you just slide the base plate off.

I had the same issue. It was extemely frustrating being that it was a brand new product that was defective from the start. I had to take apart the mags and bent the sping to give some tension in the front of the follower. I really think it's a magazine problem. I haven't had any issues with it since, but I would have a hard time recommending it to others.

The way I did it is I just took a alan wrench and put it through the hole on the bottom to pop up the metal lip holding it in. Then you just slide the base plate off.

Thanx I figured it out and did the same thing this afternoon. Mine would always hang up on the 2nd to last round. I had tried dremeling some material off the trigger guard (rendering it unsellable :( ) with no luck. Bent the mag spring like you did now all five feed. I won't be buying anymore mags for this tho. (Thinking Mcree Precision someday) Funny how an idiot like me can make this thing run but Wyatts doesn't fix this.

I was having the same exact problem. I made an anti-tilt follower which solved the problem.
Interested in how you did that one..

Last edited:
Sorry fella's for the headaches. I've taken your replies to heart and believe we've solved the problem. Last spring we shortened our follower springs on the 5 round mags hoping to make loading the mags easier for the end-user. Unfortunately, this came back and bit me in the ass on some of the magazines. We ended up losing the front pressure on the follower. I did have two returns which I personally inspected and ran through our test rifle. When running ctgs. through at a normal speed, the magazines fed properly. But, when ran slowly, the last two would jam, as listed in the posts above. On our sales for 2013, we had less than 1/2 percent product malfunction. We have since corrected this problem and will continue servicing any problems that arrive in the future. We are a small company and any bad publicity I take personally. I attempt to make the best product I can and will continue to improve on all products we manufacture. Kevin Wyatt Wyatt's outdoor, Inc.

Sorry fella's for the headaches. I've taken your replies to heart and believe we've solved the problem. Last spring we shortened our follower springs on the 5 round mags hoping to make loading the mags easier for the end-user. Unfortunately, this came back and bit me in the ass on some of the magazines. We ended up losing the front pressure on the follower. I did have two returns which I personally inspected and ran through our test rifle. When running ctgs. through at a normal speed, the magazines fed properly. But, when ran slowly, the last two would jam, as listed in the posts above. On our sales for 2013, we had less than 1/2 percent product malfunction. We have since corrected this problem and will continue servicing any problems that arrive in the future. We are a small company and any bad publicity I take personally. I attempt to make the best product I can and will continue to improve on all products we manufacture. Kevin Wyatt Wyatt's outdoor, Inc.

Good to see manufactures standing up and owning there product. Good on ya!

Andrew

Mr. Wyatt
Thanks for the quality product. All products may experience teething issues from time to time, it happens. I've purchased three of your mags and plan to purchase more. They see heavy use! 400+ rds per month. So again thanks!

I guess that I have been just lucky. I had the R700-SPS-SD-AAC witht the Hogue stock from the factory, I added the bottom metal with the five round mags; and had it taken to a gunsmith, who polished the bottom of the receiver to make sure that there werent going to be any seating problems. After that I added a B&C stock, and 10 round mags to to the rifle. I have the occasional hiccup but its never as bad as some have had. I happy with mine as it is and will probably keep on using it until it dies, or I can afford the next upgrade.

I just bought one of the DBM setups for my 700 .308 and it functions flawlessly all rounds. I've had zero problems. I'm 150 rounds through already and flawless. I am attending a 5 day school next week and will let you all know how it functions. I will run both 5 round and 10 round mags to get a good test in. 500 round in 5 days.... ought to be a good test.

I have the 223 variant of this in a 700p. It works quite well for me. Good to hear the company is standing behind their product and correcting issues.

Well at the beginning the cycling was really tight and I thought I was going to have problems. but as I pumped more rounds out, it began to function flawlessy and much easy to cycle the bolt. I think the feed lips maybe opened up a bit. I will say every so often a round might hang up a lil, but nothing I haven't seen with the others. all in all I rate this thing a 9/10... Thank you Wyatt.

Last edited: