• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing wylde vs standard chamber (tight)

biglou13

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2005
so cal/ fla
looking for info re: 1st gas gun build (ar-?).223 custom barrel

if i only feed a gas gun hand loads then why wouldn't i want a tight chamber. i'm looking for ultimate accuracy and don't plan on ever feeding it milspec or surplus or any factory ammo

i'm thinking; if wylde is so accurate why don't bolt gun shooters use loose chamber?

so what are the pros and cons of wylde vs. standard chamber?

Re: wylde vs standard chamber (tight)

A tight chamber would be fine if you wanted a single load, but after a few rounds your stick would lock up due to the blow back into the action

I have two ARs and wanted better accuracy than what a standard chamber typically is capable of.

One has a Wylde chamber and the other with Frank White's (Compass Lake Engineering) chamber. Frank's is a little tighter. Both chambers produce great groups with no feeding problems.

I reload and use Lapua brass. Brass life is better in both chambers than a standard chamber

P.s. I load 77SMK at mag length and can single load 80SMK in both chambers

ok gas operation- pressure from gas tube to BCG cycles bolt. So pressures from tight chamber will cause blow back from round's pressure, a wylde chamber dissapates some of this energy? There is no lock up like bolt action, causing increased blowback into BCG/ upper reciver/action? so i take it all AR's must have wylde chamber?

Sorry got long
Not exactly what they are saying. Your bolt is completely locked much like a bolt gun prior to firing. Round fires and case expands to chamber walls. Tight chamber very little movement and great brass like, wylde ( a bit looser) brass moves a bit more and seals. Nata chamber, brass moves a lot to seal working the neck of the brass. Round goes down barrel and passes the gas port and to the BCG. Pressures should have greatly dropped by now but different gas tube lengths and port sizes effect this. Bolt being pushed back from gas starts unlocking. energy exerted continues operation long after bullet left the barrel. When the BCG separates from the gas tube as it moves back the gas is dumped above the magwell. contaminating the area, possible pressure relieve may even cause a slight vacuum in the chamber area. More carbon and crap get in. Loose chambers can tolerate this and should cycle longer and reduce possibilities of slam fires. Tighter chambers run higher risk of stoppage/slamfires due to contamination. Picking a chamber really relies on what you expect the gun to do, and what is you accepted reliability rate. Most find the Wylde and similar chambers meet a nice accuracy/ reliability rate. Match shooters lean to accuracy. Combat shooters to Reliability

sounds like wylde is happy medium.

that being said it wouldn't make sense to have a chamber cut for specfic round/load/bullet.

you didnt really mention bullet jump and or spacing to lands.

but im getting the feeling wylde is a fixed neck and jump?/fixed chamber size neck and legnth?

that being said when going "wylde" what kind of MOA can be expected with handloads, properly prepped brassd, and custom barrel? providing user error is at minimum. more so what is expectable range of moa with custom build?

The competition chambers are a bit longer in the lead to allow for the longer bullets 80-90gr. I like the Wylde chamber because it is accurate and reliable but not too tight to use military ammo. If you try military ammo in a Compass Lake chamber you'll blow alot of primers. You'll also have to small base size any brass which was used in any other chamber. Don't get me wrong, I love my Compass Lake upper, but it can be a bit of a problem if you aren't careful with what you load. Loads which run fine in other chambers are often too hot for the Compass Lake. Even midrange loads from the Sierra manual blow primers in my Compass Lake.

The Wylde chamber has a tight freebore diameter which contributes to accuracy while the body of the Wylde being similar in size to 5.56 NATO aids in reliability. 77 grain Sierra bullets loaded to AR-15 magazine length will not touch the lands and cause pressure problems. I have a couple Shilen barreled Rem. 700 prairie dog rifles chambered with the Wylde and when new they averaged around 1/2" groups at 100 yds. with 50 grain V-Max. The Krieger barreled match rifle shot in the .4s and .5s with the 69, 77 and 80 grain Sierra bullets, N-140 powder and Rem 7.5 primers, LC cases. The AR-15 prairie dog rifle has a Wylde chamber with a shortened freebore and it shoots around .6 group sizes at 100 with the 50 V-Max.

I bought a Wylde reamer with a shortened freebore from PTG that is set up specifically for the 50 V-Max at magazine length. If you call, talk to Dave Kiff tell him what bullets you plan on shooting and he can offer some good advice.

I have owned and shot numerous Wylde chambered ARs. (RRA 1:8 SS free floated heavy/bull Wilsons)

Accuracy has been sub MOA with all of them (50-75 grain Amax, Btip, Vmax, Match) except for the Barnes 62gr TSX. (I was never satisfied with accuracy or expansion).

I sighted in one of them with 2 different (50 and 55gr?)FACTORY Hornady Vmax loads that went .38-.56 MOA for 4 or 5 consecutive groups. (4 shot groups)

I tried numerous handloads that were similar but not any better. (maybe user error!)
Despite the 1:8 twist, the 75gr loads (BH, Hornady and handloads)usually printed slightly larger groups vs 55 Vmax and 60 Btips. (most of the comparisions were only at 150 yards)

I would consider a 3-shot 1/2 MOA guarantee a good benchmark.
(I would send it back if it wouldn't beat 3/4 MOA)

Drop me a PM if you are interested in a RRA based custom.
I can patch you through to someone that can fix you up. (and no, I dont profit from the referrals!) He could also answer any questions that you might have pertaining to the Wylde chamber.

Here is a chart of several of the reamer dimensions. Sound like you really want a
.223 match chamber. I have a wylde and wouldn't want any other. But a .223 should
give even better accuracy. The idea is that a high pressure round (nato) can stretch
the brass into the throat of a .223 chamber and pinch the bullet, driving pressures
way up. If you aren't loading 5.56 pressures it isn't a concern.

SnapzProXScreenSnapz005.jpg

SMH I would like tohave the number of the gunsmith who does your work as I have more questions than I can type in an Hour. One of the most concering one is how does one go about deburring the inside of the barrell after cutting the Gas port. I have a gunsmith who has chambered a few barrels for me and is very talented but apprehensive about trying this step.

I'm no machinist or gunsmith, but I've been told the gas port can be drilled slightly undersize and then reamed to final size which will leave it without burrs. You can also drive a bullet into the bore and drill into that. Your 'smith can practice this on an old barrel or cut-off stubs.

I have a few barrel drops maybe we will just practice on a few first.