• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wyoming Antelope Hunt - 0 points

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
My buddies and I are planning a Wyoming antelope hunt, 2 of us have 0 points and another has 2 points. Any recommendations on easy to draw zones?

1 point is ur average

numbers are way the fvck down. shot 3 here in the basin this fall but it wasn't easy like years past. numbers sucked over by newcastle when i drove through recently and didn't see but two mobs over by douglas this week.

private land is ur bet. pay da fee

Reactions: Holliday and Wyfox
1 point is ur average

numbers are way the fvck down. shot 3 here in the basin this fall but it wasn't easy like years past. numbers sucked over by newcastle when i drove through recently and didn't see but two mobs over by douglas this week.

private land is ur bet. pay da fee
Thanks! Any tips on place to go to hooked up with someone to pay with private land to let us hunt?

Yep, it was shocking how different the hunting was this year. So far this winter is not giving much hope of a end of drought rebound.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I was skunked over by Arlington. They wouldn't let me get closer than 600yds.

Ricky, are you looking for trophy areas or just a harvest?

Reactions: RickyRodney
Newcastle is great for antelopes. We had no problem getting in there and hunting. I didn't do the organization work however, so I can't tell you the details.

There is a really fun bar in Newcastle. Bucks? Horns? Something like that. Good eats and beer, fun folks.

Went to Wyoming multiple years in a row for DIY Antelope and Mule Deer on public lands. Staged out of Wright WY. What was interesting is first year we saw a lot of Antelope, some Mule Deer, and zero Elk. Over the next few years saw decreasing Antelope, some more Mule Deer, and increasing Elk. 2 years ago saw surprising amount of Elk, almost no Antelope, and enough Mule Deer that we all tagged out on Mule Deer. Just observations from an amateur hunter. Do not know why the relative numbers of animals changed but it was noticeable. We hike way back into the public lands - we do not "road hunt". PS - no points used.

Do not know why the relative numbers of animals changed but it was noticeable..
I spoke to a local biologist this fall. He said the drought and hard winters have been the major cause of the drop in numbers. In 2020 we had a devastating snow fall in June. He said the fawns had dropped and were not able to handle it well. Also Wyoming Game & Fish had already set the draw so they could not mitigate by pushing less tags.

Reactions: Lightning8
For the past 15 years I've always gotten all 3 tags now I've been skunked the last 2 years in Wyoming. The secret must be out they more antelope then people lol

that snow storm we had in april was a killer. wet snow and then cold. literally nothing to eat for over a weak.. couple that with the natural down cycle in populations that's natural and drought that isn't showing any sign of ceasing and it's not a good outlook.

Wyoming can go F itself for all I care on points. 21 points and I still can't draw a sheep tag. Used to be $5 a point when I starting putting in. Now they are $150 a point. But if you don't keep buying them you lose your points.

Reactions: SQ54
Hunted near Douglas many years ago. 4 of us tagged out in just a few days. Fair amount of state owned land. Lots of BLM land but have too be careful because lots of it is landlocked in private land. Only seen a handful of mule deer but tons of antelope. But this was several years ago

Have to get one of these then your hunt will be successful

02C19252-60C8-41EC-9AB8-0855B06F2E10.jpeg

Reactions: Holliday
Wyoming can go F itself for all I care on points. 21 points and I still can't draw a sheep tag. Used to be $5 a point when I starting putting in. Now they are $150 a point. But if you don't keep buying them you lose your points.
Yea you can go fuck yourself too. You’re not “entitled” to hunt here, snow flake. Wyoming has historically been one of the most generous states when it comes to nonresident tags. Residents that stick it out here year round are sick of your entitled bs and are calling for MORE loyalty to those of us here who actually count on this meat as part of our living here.

Wyoming Game and Fish are some of the most professional and helpful game and fish I have ever dealt with. We have no State income tax here and SO THEY ARE COMPLETELY FUNDED through licensing and other fees. They raised our resident fees too but hit nonresidents harder in the face of booming calls from us residents to allocate more tags to residents. They raised fees instead of reducing the % allocated to nonresidents dramatically.

Furthermore, if you do hunt here you won’t be looking over your shoulder every second for wyo game and fish to raise backdoor punitive revenue by snagging you on some technicality, leaving you with a big fine. Also anyone with have a brain cell can hunt on the VAST amount of public land here with no access fees. In fact you’ll be glad to run into them in the field. They are some of the nicest people and always have good intel they will freely share. Even our lodging and gasoline are reasonable.

@Max

Well, seeing that I used to live there for part of the year and work there since I was in my teens I feel that I kind of know how it is. Didn’t live there all year as I headed back to Montana to be with the rest of the snowflakes. Didn’t call out any of the enforcement. Never had a problem with enforcement. Really never saw any of them. But I rarely spent time in the front country. Have been all over the Greys and Green River Range, way up on the Buffalo and Gros Ventre, hiked and hunted a lot of that country starting back in the early nineties. Worked for outfitters and still can throw a pretty nice Diamond.

You used to be able to draw tags my parent drew a moose tag 20 some years ago down there. Points used to mean something. But now the tag goes go to the max holder of points. I always thought points were like a lottery. I get my name in the hat 20 times since that’s how many years I have been putting in for a sheep tag. If you only have been putting in for 5 years then you get your name in the hat 5 times. Well, that is not the case. The max point holders draw the tags. So I will be having to wait another 6 years to draw a sheep tag (if I am lucky and seeing how point creep goes). Wyoming is selling out the points to the highest bidder in a lot of ways. I have 20 points for sheep and 19 for moose and still haven’t been able to draw.

Tags always go to the greatest preference points or who has spent the most money. That is my problem with Wyoming. Don’t believe me? Look at the results.

Last edited:
The Antelope numbers are down in NE Wyoming. I drive 140 miles daily for work and lots of gravel travel on days off. The numbers in areas 24 and 27 are down from years before. Definitely look at the licenses issued for the season vs historical numbers.

I was skunked over by Arlington. They wouldn't let me get closer than 600yds.

Ricky, are you looking for trophy areas or just a harvest?
I would like a decent buck to put on the wall and some meat to take home. Not looking to set a record.

ive been trying to draw an antelope tag here in kansas. last year was year 4 and still no luck. will try again this year. maybe the 5th time is the charm.