• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming Elk hunt 2011

hognuts

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I got my Elk tag in Wyoming! Cant wait for fall, I drew a Bull tag and a Cow/Calf tag, My uncle and one of my cousins and a few of their friends are doing a pack in trip on horse back, a buddy of mine and I did that last year up in Montana, best hunt of my life, took a nice 6 point bull up there, and we are basically hunting the same area, just south and east of where we hunted last year and in Wyoming instead of Montana. (I also applied in Montana again, results aren't out yet) Still have Nevada coming up as well.....Can't wait til fall!

Re: Wyoming Elk hunt 2011

I am jealous man! I put in for a general tag but was unsuccessful, maybe next year. Good luck man

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where did you draw for ? </div></div>

I got a bull tag in area 60 and the cow/calf tag in area 59. It is on the south east corner of Yellowstone park, we are packing in on horseback and setting up camp, should be an amazing trip, I am stoked!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elksniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am jealous man! I put in for a general tag but was unsuccessful, maybe next year. Good luck man </div></div>

Thank you, Hopefully I will have some pics to post up here this fall!

Hunted there for years and years. you going in Deer Creek, Cabin Creek ?

You camp below Yellow Mtn. ?

Lots of wolves and Grizz up there now. Bring the pepper spray !
wink.gif

Sheep on South fork Rd.

660.JPG

928.JPG

Few Bulls from Area 60...

frank1.jpg

scott_2.jpg

frank_2.jpg

my_bull.jpg

I don't know exactly where we are setting up at, my uncle and cousin have been going up there for the last few years, it will be my first trip in with them. I went in on the Montana side last year in the Absaroka Beartooth wilderness area. I think I am gonna skip the pepper spray and pack the 44 mag! On the wolf issue, I am a firm believer in the 3 s's! Those were some amazing pics! Here are a few pics our trip last year in the Absaroka...enjoy.

DSCN0216.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0169.jpg

DSCN0173.jpg

DSCN0101.jpg

Beautiful country! Will just be an added bonus if we are able to harvest an animal!

I also drew out for this year but we go to the SW of Wyoming near Cokeville. Hopefully it will be a good year.

Good luck everyone, hopefully we will all have a little luck on our side! It also doesn't hurt to be on top of the mountain!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CNOTES</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome pictures.</div></div>

Thank you, I hopefully I will be able to add to them after this season!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SURVIVORTYPE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great pics. beautiful country. would love to hunt there one day. </div></div>

Hopefully the fish and game will get their heads out of their asses and get the wolves in check up there! Or atleast allow us to "help out" in that regard...hunting was really tough, there was two of us in there and my buddy didn't fill his tag, that bull that we took was the only elk we saw in there period!

We talked to many other hunters who had no luck at all and hadn't even seen an elk on their trip. We did not see any wolves but we saw some tracks, didn't hear them at night either, but the locals up there say that the wolves have destroyed the abundant population of elk that used to call that place their home!

I think anytime the fish and game starts trying to "re-introduce" game where it used to be it just doesn't go well...something about the natural order of things. I have seen them ruin some good fisheries doing the same thing, they "re-introduce" a species and pretty soon it is taking over and ruins the fishing for other species...just never seems to work out when we start medling with mother nature.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think anytime the fish and game starts trying to "re-introduce" game where it used to be it just doesn't go well...something about the natural order of things. I have seen them ruin some good fisheries doing the same thing, they "re-introduce" a species and pretty soon it is taking over and ruins the fishing for other species...just never seems to work out when we start medling with mother nature. </div></div>

I COMPLETELY disagree.

There was nothing "natural" about wolves "disappearing" from the area. They were hunted out because of a lack of good game management policy.

It's all about good game management.

Would you say that the reintroduction of elk in to KY and NC are a bad thing? It has been great for both the environment and humters. Elk were hunted out here over 100 years ago and were re-introduced fairly recently, and now their populations are THRIVING in both areas.

We're still working out exactly what good game management is for elk here in KY as we just had a landowners hunt this year AFTER the elk season ended to thin the herd a bit more. We'll get it if we work at it.

It's all about good game management. Your wolves should never have "disappeared" to begin with, but they do need controlling. When the federal government gets its head out of its ass and allows states to manage their own game based upon reality, even the wolf will be able to co-exist wherever their natural habitat it. It's not about killing them off, but about keeping them in check.

It's exactly the same with wolves as it is with deer or elk or any other game species.

That is not the situation in Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho the Wolves were re-introduced and they were NOT kept in check and now the ranchers are having their livestock slaughtered, hunters are finding extremely low numbers in areas that used to be prestine hunting ground.

The courts have the issue tied up and are not allowing the wolves to be kept in check by way of a hunting season allowing the "management plan" to kick in.

The way I understand the problem that is occurring now Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho belong to a collective group and Wyoming refused to agree to ANY restrictions on quotas as far as number of wolves that could be harvested, they wanted them to be listed like a coyote where you could shoot upon sight, the courts disagreed with their position and therefore since Montana and Idaho were part of the collective they also had their hands tied and had to forego their Wolf season that they had in place the year before...

I also did not see a wolf tag on this year's list of options when I was applying for my tag so I am assuming that it still has not been resolved.

I do not disagree with your position on the elk being reintroduced in your area and I am glad that is working out well...elk however are not predators at the top of the food chain with nothing to keep them in check other than men with rifles...and currently politicians with suits and ties are keeping that from happening.

Wow! Nice bulls man! I wish Roosies had bigger antlers like Rockies (West Coast Hunter here). And seeing those rams would be pretty sweet.

Thanks, yeah I feel fortunate to be able to spend time in some of the most beautiful country in the world...and to do it with a rifle in tow!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hognuts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I think anytime the fish and game starts trying to "re-introduce" game where it used to be it just doesn't go well...something about the natural order of things. I have seen them ruin some good fisheries doing the same thing, they "re-introduce" a species and pretty soon it is taking over and ruins the fishing for other species...just never seems to work out when we start medling with mother nature. </div></div>

I COMPLETELY disagree.

There was nothing "natural" about wolves "disappearing" from the area. They were hunted out because of a lack of good game management policy.

It's all about good game management.

Would you say that the reintroduction of elk in to KY and NC are a bad thing? It has been great for both the environment and humters. Elk were hunted out here over 100 years ago and were re-introduced fairly recently, and now their populations are THRIVING in both areas.

We're still working out exactly what good game management is for elk here in KY as we just had a landowners hunt this year AFTER the elk season ended to thin the herd a bit more. We'll get it if we work at it.

It's all about good game management. Your wolves should never have "disappeared" to begin with, but they do need controlling. When the federal government gets its head out of its ass and allows states to manage their own game based upon reality, even the wolf will be able to co-exist wherever their natural habitat it. It's not about killing them off, but about keeping them in check.

It's exactly the same with wolves as it is with deer or elk or any other game species. </div></div>

im hoping to check out the ky elk hunting in the next few years. i went elk hunting 1 time in colarado and loved it. i think its great that such a animal can be found with in a few hours of home

A Wyoming elk hunt, now that brings back good memories.

You're going to have a great hunt!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A Wyoming elk hunt, now that brings back good memories.

You're going to have a great hunt! </div></div>

Yes sir! Successful or not, it is going to be a great trip, spending time with friends and family in that beautiful country makes the trip worth it to begin with, actually being able to harvest an animal is just icing on the cake!

Thank you sir! Just found out that in addition to my Wyoming Cow and Bull Elk tags , I also drew my Montana Deer/Elk combo tags...still have Deer tags pending in Nevada and Utah...the wife probably isn't going to see much of me in October!

Hognuts, congrats on the WY draw. Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

It's all about good game management.</div></div>
eleaf, <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">WRONG!</span></span> Do you make crap up, and say it so often you eventually believe it? Seems you enjoy spreading lies around online. Damn you have a thick scull. Quit spreading false rumors. Get your facts straight. Do some research. Please recall, as we already talked about it:

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold"> The extinct wolf and the one introduced are different kinds of wolf. NOT the same wolf as once there.</span></span>

The extinct one will <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">NEVER</span></span> be back is gone. So when could not find the right kind, some Federal overly 'environmental' dog-lover idiots introduced a top predator Alaska-only kind of wolf in the lower 48 for the first time <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">EVER</span></span> a few years ago. In a short time 'Alaska' wolves in the lower 48 have caused all kinds of well documented problems. 'Alaska' wolves in the lower 48 are:

<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Not Native</span></span> (eleaf, means never there before)
<span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">Man Introduced
An Invasive Species</span></span>

My vote is to Eradicate! <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">The most common environmental management technique for non-native man introduced invasive species is eradication.</span></span> Problem should be minimized while we are still able - <span style="font-weight: bold">wolves multiply magnitudes faster than what they eat</span>. A huge mistake has been made and most city-slickers or others not effected don't get it. Heads should roll. Someone should pay. An attempt to reverse problems quickly is wise. When still have a few elk around. It is undeniable the non-native introduced 'Alaska' wolves are spreading fast hammering wildlife since being turned loose.

eleaf, in case you want to read it again check out were we already talked about this before (and then you after-the-fact post crap here anyway):

<a href="http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=219099&Number=2501898
" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Wolf listed endangered, no longer managed (thread on SH)</a>