• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Wyoming Firearms Freedom Act, and Suppressors?

Well I don't know squat about the "Wyoming Firearms Freedom Act" but suppressors and their ownership/transfer are regulated by the NFA and under the purview of the BATFE so my guess is that unless Wyoming has succeeded from the Union the answer is "NO."

You will need to jump through all the hoops. I asked the same question when I lived in Wyo. I guess you can only succeed if you sell marijuana. It does not make sense gentlemen.

My understanding is the idea behind the law is the fact that the ATF can only regulate firearms as part of interstate commerce, that's how the NFAs were passed. As such, if you build something Class 3 in one state and it never crosses state lines in a super technical probably going to jail anyway don't try this at home kind of way, it's none of the federal government's business.

The Wyoming Freedom act does allow you to use a suppressor that was made in Wyoming as long as it stays in Wyoming.

The problem comes when you go to Thunderbeast or any other seller of suppressors. Where were they made, and assuming Thunderbeast makes their suppressors here (I don't know where they are made) you still run into a problem. They have a Class 4 License and that would prevent them from selling their suppressors without ATF hoops.

Unless you build your own suppressors and keep them in Wyoming, I don't think the WFA will help you any.

First thing you need to consider is "stay away from the internet" when thinking about suppressors. For an example, I just had an interview for the papers regarding my Ladies Only Firearms Safety and Self Defense Class. When I met the reporter in town seemed she already did some research and knew quite a bit about my background. Apparently she was playing on the internet. Lots of stuff about each of us. She had some post I've made on this and other sites, as well as my LEO background that I didn't know was on the internet.

Kind of makes me wish I never logged on, but that's hind sight.

Any, I know this is off topic, but watch what you post. Its out in the Wide World Web for any and all to see.

The Wyoming Freedom act does allow you to use a suppressor that was made in Wyoming as long as it stays in Wyoming.

The problem comes when you go to Thunderbeast or any other seller of suppressors. Where were they made, and assuming Thunderbeast makes their suppressors here (I don't know where they are made) you still run into a problem. They have a Class 4 License and that would prevent them from selling their suppressors without ATF hoops.

Unless you build your own suppressors and keep them in Wyoming, I don't think the WFA will help you any.

First thing you need to consider is "stay away from the internet" when thinking about suppressors. For an example, I just had an interview for the papers regarding my Ladies Only Firearms Safety and Self Defense Class. When I met the reporter in town seemed she already did some research and knew quite a bit about my background. Apparently she was playing on the internet. Lots of stuff about each of us. She had some post I've made on this and other sites, as well as my LEO background that I didn't know was on the internet.

Kind of makes me wish I never logged on, but that's hind sight.

Any, I know this is off topic, but watch what you post. Its out in the Wide World Web for any and all to see.
I found the text of the act. It's interesting, but I still will go through the feds for a stamp as a CYA.
http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2010/Engross/HB0095.pdf

Last edited:
I think Arizona has something similar to this. As far as I know all the parts must be made in the state as well, not just assembled.

I will send my Form 1's and 4's to the feds and call it good. I'm not taking a chance with my freedom.

I think Arizona has something similar to this. As far as I know all the parts must be made in the state as well, not just assembled.

I will send my Form 1's and 4's to the feds and call it good. I'm not taking a chance with my freedom.

The feds don't acknowledge or respect these laws, which are primarily political statements, and they will certainly arrest and prosecute you for having an unregistered NFA item no matter where you are or where it was manufactured if it comes to their attention, and it's extremely unlikely that a federal judge will come to your aid.

If a thing "affects" or MIGHT affect interstate commerce, even though it has never entered commerce at all, much less traveled interstate, the federal government maintains that it can be regulated by Congress, and unfortunately for the most part the Supreme Court agrees. See the case "Wickard v. Filburn" for more info.

EXTREMEPREJUDICE and Altnews have covered it pretty well. Only other thing I have to add is check out the Supremacy Clause. TL;DR answer: not gonna happen.

Agreed. Like I said I'm not taking any chances. I will send in my forms, play the waiting game and sleep good at night.

Ok so up here in Montana we were the first state to have one of these laws. It was just ruled against in a federal court so far the Supreme Court has no taken this on. No producer is willing to risk selling an item without the fed tax stamp.

EXTREMEPREJUDICE and Altnews have covered it pretty well. Only other thing I have to add is check out the Supremacy Clause. TL;DR answer: not gonna happen.

Please explain the "Supremacy Clause" and how it pertains to this discussion.