• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wyoming Mule Deer Hunters...

Bloody_Tailgate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
A few friends and I are planning a hunting trip for 2014/2015 and have begun sending in for preference points. We're probably not going to be sending in for the "Blue Chip" areas as they can take 6+ years to draw as I understand. We are looking for advice on where we can plan a non-guided hunt in an area that allows setting up a wall tent and offers up a fair bit of public land.

We have been watching draw stats and success rates for a few years but the Game and Fish department hasn't been very helpful supplying any other information. We also have the Eastmans' Hunting Journal which does a decent job of laying things out but some advise from guys with actual experience out there will help a ton.

I'm not asking for anyone to give up their best spot, just trying to ensure that we have a fun trip and an opportunity to hunt our butts off looking for the right buck.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Wyoming Mule Deer Hunters...

How many points will you have when you try to draw? I would suggest putting in some time researching your 2nd option in case you dont draw your 1st choice you can still hunt. Some of the 2nd choice units can be ok.

Re: Wyoming Mule Deer Hunters...

I'd recommend the Big Horns west of Burges Juction.

As you drive west on 14A, you see lots of mountains. You'll also see stands of tember and bald mountains above the tember.

We all know that deer come out in the evening and normally head down to feed. But that's not always the case. The monster bucks go up, out of the tember.

This is National Forest so you wont have any problems finding a place to set up. If you use a wall tent, I'd take a small tent for a spike camp, go up in the middle of the day and set up and wait for the critters to come out. You don't want to come down on foot at night.

I use horses and they don't mind going at night, give them their head and they'll take you right back to camp safely.

Bighorns.jpg