• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

X-Caliber AR Barrels

YoteMortician

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2022
Nebraska
I have an AR that I want to rebarrel. I thought I saw a thread on here that had multiple bad reviews for XC barrels but I can't seem to locate it. I want your opinions of the XC 416R AR barrels. I've heard bore scopes and calipers can turn a customer unhappy when their barrel arrives and is inspected. Please share your experiences. Thanks in advance!

I have bought three different barrels from XC. One for .308 (AR-10) and two for AR-15 Platform. All have been shooters. What i've found - all were easy to break-in, easy to clean and shoot better better than me. No complaints.

"I want your opinions of the XC 416R AR barrels"
"I have bought three different barrels from XC. One for .308 (AR-10) and two for AR-15 Platform. All have been shooters."
"Were all of these barrels prefit"
"yes"

Prefit???

I have 2 SS AR X-Caliber barrels. Both look nice inside and out.
SS, 22N, 28" Bull, 5R, 1:7.
One with a gas port, one without (no gas AR).
.5 MOA at least.
My AVATAR is first shot, clean cold bore @ 600 a couple year's ago with a X-Caliber barrel..

Watch for the next 20% off sale.

Reactions: YoteMortician
I've got two. They both shoot. Never looked at them through a borescope, not sure why you would.

I have bought three different barrels from XC. One for .308 (AR-10) and two for AR-15 Platform. All have been shooters. What i've found - all were easy to break-in, easy to clean and shoot better better than me. No complaints.
"I have bought three different barrels from XC. One for .308 (AR-10) and two for AR-15 Platform. All have been shooters."
"yes"

Prefit???

.5 MOA at least.
My AVATAR is first shot, clean cold bore @ 600 a couple year's ago with a X-Caliber barrel..

Watch for the next 20% off
"yes"

Prefit???

.5 MOA at least.

Watch for the next 20% off sale.
how often do they go on sale?

Fantastic barrels. They were doing fast twist on 300 blackout long before any other barrel makers. You pay for it and wait for it but they are great barrels.

I have a 375 raptor barrel from them. Fit and finish look great as does the bore. Shot very well from the first group fired. Not complaints at all. I'd buy another in a second.

I ordered two AR pattern barrels from X-caliber on Dec 31 when they had a 20% off sale going. At the time they quoted 8-10 week delivery. They are due for delivery this weekend. One is in 6mm ARC and the other is a 308 win. I'm hopeful they are both shooters! Of course that depends on me. lol

Reactions: BCP
X-Caliber was on my shortlist of barrel makers when building my 6.5 Creedmoor AR. I was within minutes of buying one when I found a smoking deal on a Craddock Precision barrel and went with that instead, but have read mostly positive reviews and will definitely consider them for future builds.

B89A3C0D-B736-4B9F-BE75-C70B8333E9D9.jpeg
0C6871A2-E1CD-49CD-807A-776F53B5CD65.jpeg
EBB6FCE7-F5CA-4F95-BF9E-896F7AD15F52.jpeg
New rifle build. More accurately a refresh. It used to be 6.5 grendel. I sold all that stuff a few years ago. It’s a Mega Arms MKM matched receiver set and 16 inch handguard. It’s almost complete. I need to order a LaRue MBT-2S trigger, kns non-rotating pins, BCM charging handle and a Vortex Defender eyepiece dust cap. I ran my bore scope through the chamber and bore and it looks very good. I recorded video of the bore scope but it will take me a few days to edit it and post it to my YouTube channel. Hope it shoots!

I've got 3 custom LR barrels from X-Caliber - .308Win, .243Win, and .45 Raptor. Machining, fit, finish, and shooting performance are top notch. The 308 and 243 are both 24" heavy contour barrels with fluting and shoot less than 1/2 MOA with their favorite handloaded ammo. I'm sold on them and have always used the periodic sales to purchase - the best was the 45% off sale for the 45th President! I plan to re-barrel my Savage Model 112 Series J in .243Win with a X-Caliber barrel when the times comes to replace the original.

B43A269A-C363-4DB2-82DF-806AB5165DDE.jpeg
Well I’m a believer in X-Caliber now. I couldn't resist the nice weather so I hit the range this afternoon and did a 20 round break in (doing the shoot and clean method) and then shot four 5 rounds groups. All groups were shot from a bench and using an Atlas CAL bipod and rear bag. The range I was shooting at doesn’t permit shooting from prone. I think it's a shooter! For factory loaded ammo at 100 yards, I'd say it's going to be tough to duplicate this through hand loads. Hopefully I gain consistency in muzzle velocity by hand loading. I'm very pleased!

Edit: Forgot to mention that the point of impact for each of the four groups changes because I was dialing in the scope zero.

Attachments

• 1E316714-BCB6-439C-9BC1-E1ECC3434D06.jpeg
    1E316714-BCB6-439C-9BC1-E1ECC3434D06.jpeg
    483.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
I think it depends on your expectations. I have three barrels from X-Caliber: 1) a heavy barrel 6mm AR in an AR15 build that shoots 0.5-0.6 MOA 5-shot groups (which I consider excellent for an AR15), 2) a heavy barrel 308 in an AR10 build that averages 1.0-1.5 MOA 5-shot groups, but shoots pretty inconsistent from group to group (I consider 1.0 MOA OK for an AR10, but still sort of frustrating chasing accuracy), and 3) a bull barrel 223 that shoots 1.5-2.0 MOA (which I consider totally unacceptable). I spend a lot of time on my builds. I also use high end parts (PRS stocks, JP bolts, Geissele triggers) and test dozens of bullet/powder/charge weight combinations with my handloads to find an accurate load. I love the idea of supporting a small shop in Kalispell, MT, but I'm not sure I'd use them again. Sure, the barrel costs half of what my Bartlein barrels cost, but my Bartlein tubes shoot 0.25 inch in my bolt action (less on a good day), and consistently 0.4 - 0.5 MOA in my AR15s and AR10s. You can get a great barrel from x-caliber, but you might get a dog. If you value your time (sourcing parts, building, load development, shooting) I'd say pay for certain quality and look to one of the barrel shops with a great reputation for accuracy. If rolling the dice and being ok with anything from great to not so great at all is OK with you -- they are a fine option. Just my 2 cents. Happy shooting, everybody!

Last edited:
Reactions: Earnhardt