• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing X Mark Pro Trigger

Win308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Morris County, New Jersistan
I just purchased a Rem 700 5R .308, and it came with a older version of Remington's new X Mark Pro trigger. This one is not externally adjustable. The trigger pull is set at 5.5lbs, and I would like to have a pull around 2.5 to 3 lbs. I have read mixed reviews about the X Mark Pro, and I want to decide between replacing it with a Timney #510 or trying to adjust it. Some review said that they were inconsistant and pull weight change over time.

Re: X Mark Pro Trigger

I think they need a break in period, I have heard mixed reviews on them as well. I think the MIM needs to be broken in, and can result in inconsistent pull weights initially, then if cleaned and re-adjusted, and the screw is sealed, I think they do alright.. it saves around $100 to give it a try first, then if you hate it, buy the Timney

sort of... they only want you to adjust the pull weight screw. This one doesn't really have an over-travel adjustment, but I don't mind some overtravel myself, lets me follow through without interrupting it hitting the stop. Other than that, yes, you can tune the sear engagement too.

The adjustment screws are in the same places but the over travel (front top screw) is actually a trigger reset screw, it pushes against the trigger body when the safety is on. If you put too little sear engagement, it might prevent the safety from being engaged without backing that screw off a little.

The pull weight (trigger reset screw) is the front bottom screw, and the sear engagement is the rear screw.

DD

Don't forget your soldering iron. They glue the screws in pretty tight.

Yeah, the 'overtravel' screw seems nearly impossible to break free... some acetone will help, but a soldering iron may work better. Use the right size allen wrench too, that is a big key

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Win308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just purchased a Rem 700 5R .308, and it came with a older version of Remington's new X Mark Pro trigger. This one is not externally adjustable. The trigger pull is set at 5.5lbs, and I would like to have a pull around 2.5 to 3 lbs. I have read mixed reviews about the X Mark Pro, and I want to decide between replacing it with a Timney #510 or trying to adjust it. Some review said that they were inconsistant and pull weight change over time. </div></div>If you really care, it's probably worth replacing it. A Timney isn't really that expensive.

I say this because of my personal experience- I was able to get mine to a light weight, but it was inconsistant. Every now and again I'd get a heavy pull, which would mess my shot all up. Better off to just replace it, if you have the cash.

Actually, I don't have the cash right now. After absorbing the purchase cost of the rifle, my first expense will be a rail and scope rings. I don't have funds for a tactical scope now, but I do have a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 on my muzzleloadeer that I can use.
A local gunsmith offered to set the pull for $45, but I can't see spending any money on this trigger based on the possible inconsistancy that I've read about. The low budget route is try to adjust it myself, and if that works, I am ahead of the game. If not, then buying a Timney would be money well spent.

Right on. It's not rocket science. Start by pulling the external screw out. If it's not low enough, adjust the trigger weight screw (internal) until it's where you want, then make sure you safety test it by slamming the bolt closed, cycling the safety, and dropping the butt of the rifle. Repeat a bunch of times for each to be safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Win308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this for the X Mark Pro or the pre-2006 Remington trigger?

Thanks! </div></div>

Screws are the same if memory serves me.

I just had Mark over at Short Action Customs work some magic on mine...Damn to pull the trigger now you`d swear it was a aftermarket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redrider308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had Mark over at Short Action Customs work some magic on mine...Damn to pull the trigger now you`d swear it was a aftermarket. </div></div>
I adjusted mine the first time but actually Mark just re-adjusted mine and stoned it as well. Way better work then what I did!!

What did he charge? Does he need the whole rifle or just the trigger to work it? It would be expenssive to ship my 5R to Ohio and back...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Win308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did he charge? Does he need the whole rifle or just the trigger to work it? It would be expenssive to ship my 5R to Ohio and back... </div></div>

I believe his page says $45 for trigger jobs.
Feel free to give him a call, he's a good guy.
Mark Gordon
http://shortactioncustoms.com/
440-309-0085

I personally wouldn't do too much stoning on an X-Mark as they are MIM (metal injected molding, or powder metal), and I am not sure if they have some type of surface treatment on the parts. On an all steel trigger, you would be stoning the sear connection surfaces. When you stone you need to be very understanding of the geometrical shapes of the parts you are working on, if you change the angles involved without knowing how much and why you are doing it, you can create a trigger that will be dangerous as there isn't enough holding power to prevent discharge when bumped or dropped. This is a reason to do the safety function tests, but when you have over-stoned a sear, it may be too late to go back...

I first had a smith adjust mine x-mark pro trigger on my sendero, but he would not go below 3lbs, I still did not like it, so I messed with it a bit, am not sure if I improved it or made it worse, I did find out the sear adjustment is not one to be messing with. So today I sold the last of my 4 kidney's and ordered a jewell. I could of better afforded a timney, but I wanted the best and now if I still can't hit anything it tells me that I am a horrible shot and should take up golf.

I have an X-mark pro and it's about 3.5lbs unadjusted . On the hunting rifle, I thnk it's perfect. With it's default 3.5# setting, it's a nice crisp trigger. The lower you want to set the pull weight, the more you should think about replacing it. I think that is where most of the people who've had problems find them: trying to set the pull weight less than 2lbs.

I've seen one polished (not stoned) and adjusted to 1.5 lbs. with a clean break and no backlash. Externally adjustable screw was left in place. Safety works reliably and holds firmly. Lucky maybe, but it sure was nice.

Best way I know of to fix an XMark is to remove it from said rifle and toss it in the trash. Scoop up an old style 700 trigger or an aftermarket trigger and be happy you did. Ive seen too many XMarks fail or outright break.... I will not have one on any of my rifles.

Stop, don't try to adjust it. Take the trigger out of the rifle and either purchase an old style one here on the hide(which can be easily adjusted) or a Timney.
Then sell your "untouched" trigger here, they generally go for $35-$40.
I took my X-pro out of my 5R and replaced it whith a "used" Timney trigger that I bought here for $45, and have never looked back.
In my opinion, the trigger on the 5R is the weakest link to a great rifle.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: freebird63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I first had a smith adjust mine x-mark pro trigger on my sendero, but he would not go below 3lbs, I still did not like it, so I messed with it a bit, am not sure if I improved it or made it worse, I did find out the sear adjustment is not one to be messing with. So today I sold the last of my 4 kidney's and ordered a jewell. I could of better afforded a timney, but I wanted the best and now if I still can't hit anything it tells me that I am a horrible shot and should take up golf. </div></div>

laugh.gif

I haven't run into any significant issues working on an X Mark trigger. 2 lbs and up is safe. Send me your trigger and $65 I'll got through it and return it post paid. If you don't like it I'll refund your money.

Thanks for everyone's advise, and due to the fact that I don't have the money for a Timney right now I decided to give self-adjustment a try.
Today I pulled the receiver off of the stock, removed the lacquer from the pull weight adjustment screw and backed it out slightly to change the trigger pull from 5.5lbs to 2.75lbs. I weighed a bottle that I filled with water until I got 2.75 lbs, and then tied a string to it which I hooked on the trigger to test the pull weight. I have slammed the bolt closed and bopped the butt stock on the floor exhaustively, and had no unintentional triggers. The trigger feels crisp and suitably light. I'll lacquer the adjustment screw after I try it at the range.

how does the shilin and basic compare to the timney trigger. am very impressed with timney no complaints.

are the newer type X-mark Pro triggers with the adjustment right on the trigger worth $50???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigmaned</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are the newer type X-mark Pro triggers with the adjustment right on the trigger worth $50??? </div></div>

In my opinion no.
101_2866-1.jpg

I thought at first I might have had a defective trigger but this seems to be a more common occurrence than I originally thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigmaned</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are the newer type X-mark Pro triggers with the adjustment right on the trigger worth $50??? </div></div>

In my opinion no.
101_2866-1.jpg

I thought at first I might have had a defective trigger but this seems to be a more common occurrence than I originally thought. </div></div>

Yours broke too?