• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors XDm 9mm Vs Glock 17

SilentSniperVT

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
Burlington, Vermont, USA
Okay guys I'm kinda new to the Site and i am planning on getting a handgun pretty soon and I have cut the field down to a Springfield XDM 9mm or the Glock 17 9mm. I have shot about 300 rounds with the XDm but only a few from a Glock. I have really liked the XDm but its hard to find parts/accessories compared to the Glock 17. Just looking for your guys opinion Thank you.

Re: XDm 9mm Vs Glock 17

I prefer the Glock. The grip safety on the XD's just feels a little weird to me. In all fairness the only XD I've gotten to shoot was a .45.

You need to pick the one that fits your hand the best. It doesn't matter how much aftermarket stuff you can find, you'll shoot the one that fits you better.

I haven't shot the G17 but I am in love with my Gen. 4 Glock 19. I would go with the Glock.

There is still plenty of support for the XD. If it feels better to you, buy it. Nothing worse than buying something for the wrong reason then, letting it set in the safe. The XD is a fine pistol.

I have a couple of XD's and they are great guns. I have shot some Glocks and they are fine weapons as well. A Glock is meat and potatoes as far as combat handguns go. I think dlc365 is right, pick the one that fits your hand better.

Sold my xdm 40 when I.got.my.g19. Liked the.xd trigger was way better than glock. But the glock mags are way cheaper, holster options better etc etc. Go for the glock just my .02 either one is a good reliable handgun.

Have a new Glock 17 and 4 XDm's, I like the XDm's better. Both in stock config out of the box, the XDm has a better trigger by far. In all fairness though the Glock trigger has shitloads of aftermarket pieces available that can make it sport a dandy trigger. One bigee for me is the Glock has a bit different natural point grip angle than the Springfields. The XDm has more of a 1911 grip angle which I like over the Glock. That's a personal preference and basically that would be what a choice between these two would end up being. Both are accurate and will serve you well.

A few months ago I had a good friend look to buy his first semi-auto pistol and he asked me if he were to only get one semiauto what would I recommend. I advised him to get a Glock 17. Of course after shooting it a great deal this fall he now has the gun bug and wants an XDm too....
smile.gif

JM2C

I Really like the Feel of the XDm never has a problem with any of my friends 3 XDM's and they each have over 1500 rounds each. Maybe I'll get the XDm.

Glock hands down. I will probably get flamed for it, but my XD sucked. It was one of the ones right after they came out as XD from being the HS 2000 or whatever they were called. That thing was so finicky. Didn't matter the ammo etc. On the bright side I got lots of malfunction drills practice. FWIW the CSP here supposedly dropped XD's from the running for reliability reasons and went with M&P's.

G17 and XDm9 are not a fair comparison, G34 and XDm9 are, I will always say Glock over XD anything, that is unless SA drops the prices on XD's back to HS2000 prices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G17 and XDm9 are not a fair comparison, G34 and XDm9 are, I will always say Glock over XD anything, that is unless SA drops the prices on XD's back to HS2000 prices. </div></div>

The G34 has a 5.3x" barrel and the G17 about 4.5".

The XDm9 has a barrel 4.5" long.

How is the Glock 34 comparable?

I think that the bore axis is way too high on any of the XD models. I'd choose the M&P over both of them.

Forced to choose, I would choose the XD, because I can't stand the grip angle on the Glock.

I like the glock for its reliability, ability to eat any ammo thrown its way, abuse it can take, lack of cleaning you can give it and still be functional. Nothing bad to say about the XD. But glocks are tried and proven. If you like them both the same then go with the glock. If you shoot one consistantly better then the other then go with that one. I carry a glock 17 with dawson precision fiber optic sights. Concealed and open, I shoot the same gun for IPSC, IDPA and 3 gun matches. It runs like a champ.

The XDm is geared more toward competition, as is the G34, that is what I'm talking about DZ, the fact there barrels are not the same length is a moot point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The XDm is geared more toward competition, as is the G34, that is what I'm talking about DZ, the fact there barrels are not the same length is a moot point. </div></div>

"More geared toward competition" how?

The size and sight radius of a firearm and its legality in a certain type of competition are the most relevant facts in deciding whether a firearm is suitable for competition or not.

There is nothing--no feature--that a Glock 34 has that differs from a Glock 17, that an XDm has.

The XDm and Glock 17 are both service sized, high capacity, polymer, striker fired pistols.

The Glock 34 has a lighter trigger, a longer sight radius, adjustable sights, and a lightened slide for competition. These are the only meaningful distinctions between the G17 and the G34. The extended controls are irrelevant because they're most often removed from the G34 as they are more likely to be a liability than an asset to the competitor.

The suggestion that the XDm is somehow more "match" oriented than a Glock 17 is meritless.

Do you shoot competitively? It seems like you honestly have no clue what you're talking about.

That is, unless I'm totally missing some feature of a stock XDm that just makes it amazing for competition. Having inspected one personally, however, the trigger is so heavy out of the box that without some kind of trigger work, the XDm isn't suitable for competition at all in my opinion. The sights weren't anything special, either.

The M&P 9 Pro, on the other hand, comes from the factory with a wide notch rear sight, a lighter trigger, a longer sight radius, and a fiber optic front sights. These are the most obvious and likely modifications/features desirable for competition.

Brushing aside sight radius and barrel length and claiming that the way a pistol is marketed has some bearing on how it performs doesn't bolster your point. The XDm is a service pistol, period. It compares favorably with the G17 and G22 because that's the market for which it was designed.

If anything, the closest cousin to the G34 manufactured by SA would be the XD tactical 9mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G17 and XDm9 are not a fair comparison, G34 and XDm9 are, I will always say Glock over XD anything, that is unless SA drops the prices on XD's back to HS2000 prices. </div></div>

They did get expensive when they put the cannons on them didn't they?

Glock reliability is hard to beat. 20+ years of doing it right says alot!

As a matter I do shoot in competitions............... Leaving for my 5th trip to Rifles Only this morning

Owned a Glock 30 for five years and it performed without a hitch. Presently, I am seriously thinking about the XDm 45 over a Glock 36 for personal defense. Primarily for two reasons, one, the ease of releasing a magazine and two, the grip safety.
The Melorite finish, too, I believe would sustain holster wear and day to day handling better than a Glock.

All I can recommend is get the one that feels best in your hand and that you shoot best. I worked at a gun shop in Alaska for years and this was quite obvious. Lay Glock and XD side by side on the counter, have the customer pick each one up and let them determine which fits best. Not even close, XD! At the range, same thing, shoot Glock and XD and XD was decisive winner. I will say we were selling 25 or more XD to Glock. The only exception is Glock lovers that get wrapped around them.

XD has darn near the same grip angle as 1911s. When I pick up a Glock, it naturally points high and right where as 1911 and XD point natural...at the target. One reason I never attempted to buy tupperwear.

XD has surpassed the infamous Glock torture test with ease. Of course Glocks have been around longer but sometimes something better comes along.

Our prices had the XDs cheaper the Glocks mostly because of higher sales.

Rumor is XD 10mm will be released soon, last time in the Spring I chatted with my SA rep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: checkmate1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Owned a Glock 30 for five years and it performed without a hitch. Presently, I am seriously thinking about the XDm 45 over a Glock 36 for personal defense. Primarily for two reasons, one, the ease of releasing a magazine and two, the grip safety.
The Melorite finish, too, I believe would sustain holster wear and day to day handling better than a Glock. </div></div>

I own/have owned an XD, USP, and now a Gen 4 Glock 19.

1. The Gen 4 Glocks have a larger mag release (about 3x old size)
2. The finish is the same on an XD and a Glock. Glock was the originator of the "tenifer" finish, which is commonly known as melonite.

Looks like you need to do some more research. I will say that the M&P was tempting. I wish they made something in a size (grip-wise) between the full size and compact.

Josh

Tennifer" carbonitriding salt bath used 60% sodium cyanide and cyanate and 40% potassium cyanide and cyanate.... That's why the EPA wouldn't let anyone do it here. Hence, melonite, a different process. Trying to <span style="font-style: italic">depress</span> the magazine release on the newer Glocks is easier, it is just where the release is <span style="font-style: italic">located</span> on the grip. I have to fumble around to apply it.

While I love my XDm's, the finishes are NOT equal in long term performance.

And as far as I know what checkmate1 said above is true, "melonite" is not the same as "tennifer"...

Melonite and Tenifer...same process, different licensing rights.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To meet the growing needs with regard to wear and corrosion resistance, as well as the enhancement of the fatigue strength, great efforts were devoted to the development and launching of the <span style="font-weight: bold">TENIFER® process, which is also known worldwide under the trade names of TUFFTRIDE® and MELONITE®.</span> This nitrocarburizing process has undergone continuous development with regard to its regenerability and ecology, and from year-to-year the number of applications is increasing on all 5 continents.</div></div>

Link

Josh

Did some research and Josh is correct, they are licensing names for the same process.

Along with that I also found that the general consensus is that there must be some minor differences through other possible avenues. Prepping, type of steel, attention to detail and possible tweaking the actual finishing process. The facts seems to support that functionally Glock achieves a better finish even though by definition they are the same chemically.

Learn something new every day...
smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the 40 version of what ever you get and get the 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags!! </div></div>

I would highly recommend against this for a number of reasons.

If you want 2 guns--buy 2 guns.

if you are going to get a springfield get the xdm if you are going to get a glock buy the glock 34