• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XLR Envy and MDT poly mags - what am I doing wrong?

drew_235

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 22, 2019
Minnesota
Just received a brand new XLR Envy yesterday and installed my T3x Varmint .223 in it today. After getting everything torqued correctly, I put a couple of dummy rounds in an MDT poly mag, inserted the mag (made a mental note that it went in kind of firmly), cycled the dummy rounds and then could not get the magazine out. I ended up taking the rifle back out of the chassis and tapping on the magazine with a soft faced hammer to get it out. I looked everything over, reinstalled the magazine and noted that it had to be lined up just perfectly to be able to be removed, and even then it required quite a bit of effort.
Is there an adjustment on these or is this a known issue with poly mags? I have a few KRG Bravo stocks and am used to fine tuning them so they are tight enough to pick up the next round but not so tight that they get stuck.

Last edited:
MDT makes several different types of poly mags, are you sure it's an AICS mag? I use pmags in my Element chassis, they work perfect.

Reactions: 338dude
MDT makes several different types of poly mags, are you sure it's an AICS mag? I use pmags in my Element chassis, they work perfect.
Good question, and to validate here is a picture. These are the same mags I use in my KRG Bravo stocks.

20201019_043848.jpg

These magazines work perfect in my chasses and bottom metal EXCEPT for the McRees G10. I can force them with that chassis but they're a bit snug. For that chassis I use AI mags. Otherwise, these have been GTG.

Reactions: 338dude
I have an element chassis and I had to remove a little material from the top ridge on the trigger guard side.
look for contact at that location.
What are the chances you could get a picture of the area you are referencing to give me an idea of the amount of material we are talking about. I kind of figured for the price of this piece of kit that I wouldn't need to break out a file to make things work correctly.

Sorry, we are out of state at the daughter’s house - Their first baby! So it will be next week.
It was not much material. Not even half of it. I just did a little at a time and tried it. Actually I thought it was hitting at the top and took a little material off there first. Then I noticed it was tight against the trigger guard. Can you see it is contacting the trigger guard?
you are also correct that you should have to work on the chassis or magazine for what they cost. Of course different manufactures don’t always use the same design specs or tolerances. I tend to”fix” things vs returning, sometimes it works, sometimes I throw stuff away!

This is copied from the MDT web site

"MDT magazines are guaranteed to work in our TAC21, LSS, LSS-XL, HS3, ESS and ACC chassis systems.

They do not work with the following inlets; Ruger American in 204/223/556/300AAC, Browning X-bolt, Winchester XPC and may require fitting in Winchester Model 70. Based on customer feedback, the following systems work well with our magazines, but fitting may be required in some cases.

• XLR Chassis
  • KRG X-Ray - Some need adjustment
  • GRS riflestocks- (Configured for AICS magazines)
  • CDI Precision bottom metals- (Configured for AICS magazines)
  • Pacific tool and Gauge bottom metals- (Configured for AICS magazines)"

All though AICS magazines have become the "standard/go-to" pattern for the industry when it comes to bottom metal and chassis DBM's there actually is no such thing as a AICS spec. We have measured hundreds of "AICS" magazines from different manufactures and can assure you there is no consistency. Comparing a AI brand, Accurate, MDT, and Magpul they will have different measurements. Even measuring 20 magazines from the same manufacture made over 5 different years will have different measurements. Over the last 10 years of manufacturing chassis we have continued to update the magwel design to try and cater to the lack of tolerances. Unfortunately it is rather impossible to make every single magazine fit perfect without sacrificing fit/performance. Make it too open to accept all - magazines will be loose and sloppy. Make it too tight, limiting rattle and increasing feeding on a specific magazine - prevent all the others from even fitting. We have talked with AI, Accurate Magazine, and MDT on if it were possible to all get on the same page and actually have specific tolerances to hold and to be honest other than MDT the response was not helpful. Shout to MDT for agreeing that it would be absolutely AMAZING if everyone could cut magwells and manufacture magazines to a specific specification range.

Now in regards to steel AICS magazines it is somewhat understandable that it is difficult to hold consistent tolerances as they are just bent metal. Polymer is a little different. Compared to a chassis that is machined on a CNC that can be held at tight tolerances. So from the above statements it is interesting that one is willing to modify a $600-$1,500 chassis because of $50-$90 magazines.

Give us a call and we can trouble shoot this issue with you as you are not alone on this.. Magazines can be (not always) the most frustrating part of the rifle build. But I can tell you that more often than not trying a different magazine is a easy solution. We sell the Accurate .223 magazines that you can try, or relieving some of the plastic on the magazine might be necessary. Might want to also look and see if the ribs on the MDT magazine are going into the magwel ... I do not know about the current design but the older polymer MDT magazines that had the rib design used to not work with many other platforms because they would go into the magwel on some application causing resistance. If this is the case (not saying it is) then some filling on those could be all you need to do. Again we would love to discuss what you are experiencing and try to make sure your rifle is working 100%.

Thanks to the info in this thread.
I just got a used XLR Element Chassis for my Rem700 223 and had trouble with the plastic MDT magazines. I put some pressure on the magazine to try to see where it was interfering and the top rib in the back is preventing the magazine from seating... a few minutes with a file to the top of that rib and it's fitting fine now.