• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing XLR Industries Element 3.0

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
I got this stock to use on my 700 in 30-06. What are my options in terms of magazines? The Magpul ones I have are too short. Would the magnum Magpul magazines be long enough? Any help is appreciated.

The Element 3.0 R700 Long Action is cut for a 3.850 magazine. You have 2 issues here:
  1. Unless it’s specifically been modified, a Remington 700 action cannot feed from a 3.850 magazine.
  2. As far as I can tell, nobody makes a 3.850 magazine for 30-06 - Accurate-Mag and MDT cover the spectrum of literally everything else that’s been done for AICS.
As such, I recommend that you get the magazine length that you want to use, and epoxy a spacer that’s {3.850 inches minus the length of your magazine} thick to the front of the magwell. Make sure it extends from ~1/16in below the action all the way to the base of the chassis.

Depending on exact fitment with the magazine you use, you may want to add some shims to the sides of the front of the magazine well too. Basically if you can really twist the magazine side to side that’s bad.

I can't modify a 3.850" mag to feed 30-06?

If you start with a 3.850” 300WM magazine, and adjust feed lips, you could make the magazine itself work. However, unless you’ve had the feed ramp modified in the R700, bullet tips will get caught under the action and you won’t be able to feed at all.

Made a shim from some scrap kydex. It's a snug fit and there's a little bit of side to side play. But no twisting or anything. Even just a dry fit and that mag wasn't coming out no matter how much I tried. But it fed and the latch worked just fine. Thanks.

Reactions: gnochi
I have a 284 in an xlr evo that is cip length. I haven’t modified anything and it feeds flawlessly for me. I had anticipated notching the feed ramp but it hasn’t been necessary.

this one will work. Good price too. Like others said, bend the lips.

Excellent. Yeah, I can care less what the baseplate says. As long as it works.

Could someone please be more specific and/or supply pics of the mods needed? I just ordered the mag above and and XLR Element 3.0 to mount my Remington LA .270 into.

thanks!

This is awesome, thank you! So I presume for standard rounds in a mag clip, I’d need to tighten them, correct?

Thanks! Mag and frame come next week. I’ll post pics!

I’ve built a couple of ARs, but this will be my first rifle build. Remington 700 BDL .270 going into a XLR Element 3.0 chassis with these mags, and topping it off with an Athlon Argos 6-24x50.

I’m pretty pumped.