• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

XLR mag issue

tomcat mv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
Hey guys, I got my XLR chassis for my T/C Venture in .308 a few months ago and haven't been able to shoot it because of shoulder surgery. Anyhow, I finally got everything put together the last couple of weeks and was going to go to the range today and discovered that both my 5 and 10 round AI mags will not lock up with the mag catch. I have e-mailed Kyle but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

I think I just found the problem. I got out my calipers and measured the distance from the top of the rear mag edge to the edge of the "bump" on the mag where the latch engages, 1.355". when you turn the rifle upside down you can see a land in each corner of the mag well. It's a little tough to take the measurement but it appears to be a couple thousands too short so the mag is bottoming out on these lands thus not allowing the latch to engage the locking surface on the "bump". I see too potential fixes, either take a little metal off the corners of the mag or dremel out the lands a hair. Guess I'll give Kyle a call tomorrow and get his advice.

Open your bolt and put the mag in. Mine was a little tight. I opened my bolt and it worked ok. Put a couple hundred rounds through it and no problem now. You could always call Kyle. He will fix you up.

I tried that and still no go. the mag well depth is the issue for sure.

Bingo, we have a winner! You are spot on, I spoke with Kyle today and he said that is likely the problem so he is sending me a new trigger guard and latch tomorrow, no charge. Great CS!
Sounds like your mag lever may be a tad too long...

Glad to hear it got sorted. :)

And yes, Kyle has outstanding CS!