• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

xlr or A-5 stock

KLambert05

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2011
United States
I have a remmy 700 300 WM that is mostly used for hunting. its in an old bdl stock and the stock is touching my barrel pretty far up, and instead of modifying the stock, I was looking for a new stock. I was trying to keep it on the lighter side (no more than 4.5 pounds). The xlr weighs like 4.3 and i think the A-5 (in either mcmillan or B&C) weigh around 3.7? I really like both stocks and I'm kind of in a toss up. I like the idea of the folder stock application on the xlr and the full alluminum chassis, but I'm not 100% on the pistol grip and the clips. I have never really hunted with one so I do not know if it will be as comfy as the other style that you find on the A-5. Both seem to have their pluses and minuses and I was looking for some input as this is going to be my first really modification to a rifle from its stock build.

Thanks

Re: xlr or A-5 stock

cant say that I have, but I will do that, thanks

EDIT: I dont think i really like the look of the mcree stocks
frown.gif

Not that I have one, but the XLR stocks look pretty nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevin05</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant say that I have, but I will do that, thanks

EDIT: I dont think i really like the look of the mcree stocks
frown.gif
</div></div>
lol ya i think it looks like a 2x4 with a buttstock attached

I recently switched from a McM A5 to an XLR. I was always happy with my A5 stocks but when I got behind the XLR I fell in love. Very comfortable, ability to fold, built in NV rail setup and very adjustable. I just heard from Kyle that my second XLR shipped out today.

As with all quality stocks, it comes down to features and user preference. The best advice is to try to get behind both and see which one you prefer.

B&C doesn't offer the A5 for the long action.

Besides, it is a heavy beast, I have one of their varmint/tactical stocks and it is not light.

The McMillan A5 is a nice stock but will require bedding, which is another expense unless you do it yourself.

The HS precision is a very nice stock, they have an adjustable version (same one used on the M24).

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my XLR chassis, but my 5R came in a very nice HS stock.

If you are looking for a lightweight stock with full bedding block but are not truly concerned about whiz bang stuff, look at the HS precision varmtin stock (I have one on a sendero) or the new B&C Long action M40 style stock (stocky stocks have them on sale)

I have an XLR folder with a Magpul PRS on it and while I do use it for hunting its not exactly the lightest thing or easiest to maneuver around a blind with. As suggested Id look at a Sendero take off stock for it. Simple, light(relatively) and pretty cheap.

i vote the xlr as well the wait time is about 8 weeks right now but with the recoil unless your braked the little extra weight comes in handy

I also like the mcrees as well their very nice, the ar grips take a few seconds to get use to, about 2 shots then i dont thing youll go back to stock,

thats my .02$ good shooting

wait time isnt an issue. im using my 22-250 for the most part right now until i get my stock issue fixed. It is already braked, so the little extra weight doesnt mean a whole lot. And I do not do a lot of stand hunting, most of my hunting is walking around or sitting in the bed of a truck. yall are kind of convincing though and making good arguments for the xlr. thanks for the input

My xlr is very comfortable. View my post and you can see the setup.