• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Xm2010 Bolt Questions

Makeshift Mando

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2020
New Hampshire
Hi all,

I’m currently building a XM2010 and was starting to recover some parts for it. When I looked at the bolt I noticed a big hole near the front. Nothing comes up when I look at parts list for this spot. Do you know what this is for??

Also If you know where to find a chassis let me know! Lol

Attachments

• CABA65BF-D29E-49DF-9038-9780CD133EE6.jpeg
    CABA65BF-D29E-49DF-9038-9780CD133EE6.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 125
Do you have any spare xm2010 300wm bolts for sale? Working on my xm2010 build too XD

The bolts listed on GB by The Gun Repair Center do not have all of the true M24 markings on them.

My understanding was that the US military XM2010 bolts did not have the same finish or markings as the M24 bolts, specifically that the 2010 bolts did not have the two-tone Rem-Tuff/Sandstrom Dry Film finish and did not have the magnaflux (circled M) marking. The receiver and barrel finish was also not Rem-Tuff.

All of the 2010 receivers I have seen, including the US C prefix receivers with 2010 documentation, have a matte finish not the thick Rem-Tuff finish.

Can anyone cite anything otherwise or show examples of 2010 bolts or receivers and barrels otherwise finished and marked?

My understanding was that the US military XM2010 bolts did not have the same finish or markings as the M24 bolts, specifically that the 2010 bolts did not have the two-tone Rem-Tuff/Sandstrom Dry Film finish and did not have the magnaflux (circled M) marking. The receiver and barrel finish was also not Rem-Tuff.

All of the 2010 receivers I have seen, including the US C prefix receivers with 2010 documentation, have a matte finish not the thick Rem-Tuff finish.

Can anyone cite anything otherwise or show examples of 2010 bolts or receivers and barrels otherwise finished and marked?
Based on evaluating the Rem Def inventory from the bankruptcy sale, this is what i've found:

I have seen one early xm2010 barreled action. It had a G prefix receiver, flat bottom flutes, and all of the same coatings as the M24 (sandstrom and rem-tuff) It also had the magnaflux marking.

My factory finished G and RR prefix barreled actions are a black oxide coating of some sort. They have Stainless bolts that are black oxide coated with no magnaflux marking.

Reactions: ODCMP
Based on evaluating the Rem Def inventory from the bankruptcy sale, this is what i've found:

I have seen one early xm2010 barreled action. It had a G prefix receiver, flat bottom flutes, and all of the same coatings as the M24 (sandstrom and rem-tuff) It also had the magnaflux marking.

My factory finished G and RR prefix barreled actions are a black oxide coating of some sort. They have Stainless bolts that are black oxide coated with no magnaflux marking.

Thanks for the information and observations for the Remington bankruptcy inventory. I obviously haven't seen the G prefix example with the M24 type finish you described. From that info, it sounds like there must have been was a spec change at some point.

I've observed a number of examples:

- a complete factory assembled G prefix XM2010 that has a matte black oxide type coating like you describe,
- several RR prefix 2010 barreled receivers with the same matte black finish,
- a lot of US C prefix receivers that have FOIA responses showing initial use as M24's, return to Remington for rebuild as M2010's, and documentation showing issued as M2010's. Those US C prefix receivers have the matte black finish too, not the thick Rem-Tuff coating.

I also looked at a lot of older pics and videos. This video has some good clear shots of the bolt starting at about :30 and then around 1:20-1:40. Definitely no M or 2 tone bolt.

This one also has some good clear shots of the bolt and receiver finish.

The Army paid Remington $4.5 million to rebuild M24's into M2010's. There were probably 2010 variants built for other branches of service and agencies. But an M2010 should be an M24 action in it's truest form.

I agree that we are likely seeing a mix of M2010 parts and assemblies from the US contract, law enforcement and commercial sales, and even other foreign military production. That mix makes it especially hard to tell what parts were intended for which contract or client.
The army contract for M24/XM2010 rifles was 4000 units.

Great info, thanks!

Thanks for the information and observations for the Remington bankruptcy inventory. I obviously haven't seen the G prefix example with the M24 type finish you described. From that info, it sounds like there must have been was a spec change at some point.

I've observed a number of examples:

- a complete factory assembled G prefix XM2010 that has a matte black oxide type coating like you describe,
- several RR prefix 2010 barreled receivers with the same matte black finish,
- a lot of US C prefix receivers that have FOIA responses showing initial use as M24's, return to Remington for rebuild as M2010's, and documentation showing issued as M2010's. Those US C prefix receivers have the matte black finish too, not the thick Rem-Tuff coating.

I also looked at a lot of older pics and videos. This video has some good clear shots of the bolt starting at about :30 and then around 1:20-1:40. Definitely no M or 2 tone bolt.

This one also has some good clear shots of the bolt and receiver finish.

I agree that we are likely seeing a mix of M2010 parts and assemblies from the US contract, law enforcement and commercial sales, and even other foreign military production. That mix makes it especially hard to tell what parts were intended for which contract or client.

Great info, thanks!

Thinking about it further.
The G prefix is probably a prototype since the G prefix is the one that was In use during the development of the 2010. It should predate the C prefix guns. I should do an foia on the G prefix.
I bet all mil issued ones are like what you have seen with the matte black finish.

US marked C prefix’s are probably of the intitial rebuild of m24’s and RR are later ones.

So the sandstrom “2010” bolts that RWS has are probably not meant for the Mil contract.

There are some RR prefix M24’s out there as well. To my knowledge we built some M24’s for the USMC that have RR/US markings. I know of 3 of these that made it into civilian hands. I’ll try to get a few pics of them and post them here. I know I can get 2 for sure. When we built these contract submission rifles, all were configured a little different. 3 had 22” barrels, 3 had 24” barrels, all had different muzzle devices for the AAC MK13 and Titan QD suppressors. The RACS chassis were also optioned a bit different. 3 with MSR/PSR handguards and 3 with 2010 handguards, 3 chassis were desert sand in color like the current A6 chassis and 3 were black like the normal 2010 chassis. All of them had the PSR light weight buttstock except for 2 that had the 2010 buttstock. All 6 were outfitted with M24 triggers. Leupold, S&B and NF topped off the rifles. I’m sure I’m forgetting some stuff. It’s been a few years since we built those.

Thinking about it further.
The G prefix is probably a prototype since the G prefix is the one that was In use during the development of the 2010. It should predate the C prefix guns. I should do an foia on the G prefix.
I bet all mil issued ones are like what you have seen with the matte black finish.

US marked C prefix’s are probably of the intitial rebuild of m24’s and RR are later ones.

So the sandstrom “2010” bolts that RWS has are probably not meant for the Mil contract.

I hadn't thought much about the G prefix being the first 2010 receivers, but that makes sense. Logistically the US C prefix M24's had to be returned and rebuilt. That had to be a phased/staged process to keep enough rifles in service.

Looking through some FOIA responses, the earliest confirmed 2010 rifle I see was a US C prefix returned from Remington in February 2011.

Last edited:
There are some RR prefix M24’s out there as well. To my knowledge we built some M24’s for the USMC that have RR/US markings. I know of 3 of these that made it into civilian hands. I’ll try to get a few pics of them and post them here. I know I can get 2 for sure. When we built these contract submission rifles, all were configured a little different. 3 had 22” barrels, 3 had 24” barrels, all had different muzzle devices for the AAC MK13 and Titan QD suppressors. The RACS chassis were also optioned a bit different. 3 with MSR/PSR handguards and 3 with 2010 handguards, 3 chassis were desert sand in color like the current A6 chassis and 3 were black like the normal 2010 chassis. All of them had the PSR light weight buttstock except for 2 that had the 2010 buttstock. All 6 were outfitted with M24 triggers. Leupold, S&B and NF topped off the rifles. I’m sure I’m forgetting some stuff. It’s been a few years since we built those.

You're right. The more time that goes by, the less that this will be remembered. I've never seen a US marked RR (or G) prefix receiver, but I don't doubt you a bit.

One puzzling bolt I found has a two tone rem-tuff/sandstrom finish with a M magnaflux mark, but is a SHORT ACTION bolt. What rifle was that?

Toward the end of the Remington Defense program we (the Custom Shop) built a few different configurations of the A6 that was officially adopted by the USMC. We built 3 rifles while I was there on short action 2010 chassis that were all 308 Wins built on titanium 700’s that have the US mark lasered above the serial number. My understanding of these was that they were going to the USMC at Quantico for a leg of testing. We did use magna-fluxed bolts on those rigs. These were built with stainless bolts with no fluting “which never made sense to me” but the knob was machined out like the original titanium bolts. We coated these barreled actions with Rem-Tough Black and the bolts were micro-slick grey with black handles. We delivered all of those rifles with a 3-12 S&B optic. This project never went anywhere with the USMC as Remington was in the dirt very shortly after that delivery.

Last edited:
Toward the end of the Remington Defense program we (the Custom Shop) built a few different configurations of the A6 that was officially adopted by the USMC. We built 3 rifles while I was there on short action 2010 chassis that were all 308 Wins built on titanium 700’s that have the US mark lasered above the serial number. My understanding of these was that they were going to the USMC at Quantico for a leg of testing. We did use magna-fluxed bolts on those rigs. These were built with stainless bolts with no fluting “which never made sense to me” but the knob was machined out like the original titanium bolts. We coated these barreled actions with Rem-Tough Black and the bolts were micro-slick grey with black handles. We delivered all of those rifles with a 3-12 S&B optic. This project never went anywhere with the USMC as Remington was in the dirt very shortly after that delivery.
Those may well have been what my short action action bolt was for. I bet a lot of projects ended abruptly at Remington.

Those may well have been what my short action action bolt was for. I bet a lot of projects ended abruptly at Remington.
You have no idea!!! Unless you were there to see it first hand, you wouldn’t believe it!!